none
InfoPath/IE Form error: Stop running this script?

Question

• Hello All, first off I do not have server access, cannot upload to central admin, all forms work I do has to be independent of SharePoint server.

With that said, I Have a form developed in InfoPath 2007 that pulls data from a sharepoint list with over 2600 items. I am aware of MS reccomendation on SP lists beyond 2000 items, however this is not the issue.

I have this form that pulls a list of Applications into a dropdown, upon selection of an application, other data associated with that application posts back to the form for eventual posting/submitting to the form library. My issue like many other folks is that when running in Internet Explorer I receive the error message: 

Stop running this script?" "A script on this page is causing Internet Explorer to run slowly.  If it continues to run, your computer may become unresponsive."

In Firefox, Google Chrome, and Safari the form has no issues, the error does not popup and once the application is selected it takes all of about 2 seconds to post back the associated data to the from, however with IE I of course receive the above error AND it takes about 10 seconds for the application data to post back to the requisite fields.

Is there any kind of fix for this that can be encoded in the form itself. This is an end-user facing form, thus changing REG settings or disabling script debugging is not an option.

Thank you in advance for whoever has a possible fix to this issue. If not does anyone know if this will be fixed in 2010?
    Sunday, October 04, 2009 4:09 PM

All replies

• It's an old complaint. Form runs better in non-IE browsers because of the way their parser works. IE parser checks the markup very rigorously and identifies issues that other parsers ignore. Had it been the list issue (with 2600 items), you would have noticed the delay in other browsers as well but you are not facing this issue in other browsers so that forces me to believe that the issue might be something else, for example, the nesting of tables in your form, etc. Of course, loading of items from a large list could also be a problem but it also depends how you are using that data in your form. For example, which control are using? Where is that control placed on the form? How is it bound to the data source? what is the data node hierarchy? etc etc. My suggestion is, use fiddler to trace the issue. With fiddler sometimes you find issues which are otherwise impossible or at least difficult to find with InfoPath design checker. There is anyway no way to check the logic so Fiddler will give you some insight what might be causing the delay in the form.
    SSA - http://sharepointblogs.com/ssa
    Monday, October 05, 2009 3:45 PM
  • Thank you for the reply SS A,

The form is a pretty simple form with no nested tables. The data source is a SharePoint list residing on the same site as the form library. The main field in the sharepoint list is mapped to a dropdown that when upon selection populates data to two other fields. As I mentioned there is no script error in any of the other browsers and works in about 2 seconds with non-IE browsers. IE is the only browser giving me issues.

Can you elaborate on Fiddler, what is it, how do I use to test or at least point me to an instructional link?

Thank you, I appreciate you help and insight.
    Monday, October 05, 2009 3:54 PM
  • Some information about fiddler can be found here:

http://vspug.com/ssa/2007/12/26/inspecting-logic-and-checking-design-of-infopath-form/

Fiddler is a Web Debugging Proxy which logs all HTTP(S) traffic between your computer and the Internet.
    You can download it here:

http://www.fiddlertool.com/
    SSA - http://sharepointblogs.com/ssa
    Monday, October 05, 2009 6:00 PM
  • Hello SS A, thank you for the information you have provided however I have not yet found a valid answer that works thus I would still like to leave this question open as neither corrected the error. I tested with an SQL connection to a similar database and it worked however the whole issue stems from using the data connection as a sharepoint list in conjunction with InfoPath. Currently in my envrionment, we lack the READ access to this specific data base and thus are having to use SharePoint as the data source.
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 2:09 PM
  • We get the script error in IE for some of our forms that have complex rules.  Also, any forms that utilize conditional formatting will run painfully slow in IE.  It's bizzare that non IE browsers will render infopath form services better than microsoft's own product.  I haven't seen anyone from microsoft directly address the issue.  IE8 provided a small performance improvement but nowhere near the speed of firefox for sharepoint forms.

Wednesday, January 06, 2010 2:59 PM
  • The IE9 preview has a 300% improvement in performance with our sharepoint forms and has no script errors.  The fully functional version won't be ready for a year though.

• Proposed as answer by JRVA_Q Friday, April 09, 2010 6:16 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Saturday, April 10, 2010 2:17 PM
    Friday, April 09, 2010 6:16 PM
  • Hello JRVA_Q, thank you for the reply....unfortunately by the time we would have IE9 in our environment, we will have SP 2010 before that which mean integrated InfoPath forms functionality, thus no more need for the previosu idea.
    Friday, April 09, 2010 10:39 PM
  • JRVA-Q

Please do not propose your own replies as answers. It's not helpful.

Propose the good answers of other people and wait for other people to propose your posts.

(Moderator)

FAQ sites: (SP 2010) http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com; (v3) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com and (WSS 2.0) http://wssv2faq.mindsharp.com
    Complete Book Lists (incl. foreign language) on each site.
    Saturday, April 10, 2010 2:18 PM
  • I have a similar issue to date with one notable exception. I only get the error when I hit the submit button on the infopath form. Even if the form is completely blank and I hit the Submit button I still see the error he mentioned above.

Spent a better part of the day searching on this issue. In regards to the typical answers given, they will not work for me:

- Turning off debugging in IE is not an option for me....and this is not a solution I can present to my customers.  

- It does not make sense that nested tables would cause such a lag time for parsing of the data. I do use nested tables and they are vital to the form layout. Can someone explain in more detail why nested tables would be the cause of this issue? I do not want to take the time to break up the form into more forms or tables only to find out the bug is still present.

- I do have 3 level deep cascading drop down that populates from a list, but again this is not called up when I submit a blank form (which still triggers the error).

Does anyone know of another way to solve this issue? Everytime I tell the prompt to continue running the script posts the data successfully without issue. I have already used Fiddler to diagnose the issue in more detail, but I did not see anything obvious.

FYI this is Sharepoint 2007 with Infopath Form Services 2007
    Monday, July 05, 2010 3:24 PM
  • Has anyone found a way to evaluate or "Trace" the source of the script message. Maybe a browser tool that watchess the parsing of javascript. Any ideas?

Does anyone know if the warning is due to a postback request and code running on the server or is this warning only for client scripts? I tried fiddler but it will only show you the communication between server and client, not the performance or parsing of local code. 

Thanks!

Greg

Monday, July 26, 2010 7:02 PM
  • Hello Greg, there is a tool called Fiddler that may be of some use for that is a web debugger: http://www.fiddlertool.com/fiddler/version.asp

Also, I found another tool for server use to monitor ULS Logs: http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/ULSViewer (the download link is located in the right hand column)

Fiddler is pretty useful though for I beleive what you are asking

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 2:18 PM
  • I found the same error pop up on a share point 2007 (moss) form my team uses. I found that the error occurs on a system running a 32 bit OS and has "Java (Sun) Use JRE 1.5.0_22 for M<applet> (requires restart)" in the advanced internet options and is checked. I found that the error does not occur on system running a 64 bit OS that has no reference to "Java (Sun) Use JRE 1.5.0_22 for M<applet> (requires restart)" in the advanced internet options. Both systems are running Windows 7 Enterprise.
    Friday, February 18, 2011 8:12 PM
  • I found an article that leads me to believe it is an IE issue and not a InfoPath issue.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/175500

The fix updates registry to prevent the error pop at such a low threshold.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 8:22 PM
  • Thanks, I never said it was InfoPath and actually stated that it worked fine in Chrome and FireFox....thanks for posting though as I am sur ethis will potentially be helpful to other end-users.
    SharePoint Solution Architect | MCTS
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 10:32 PM
  • I came across this issue in IE8.

In my example, I found this issue related to conditions (used to show/hide fields or formatting). If I reduced the number of conditions, I didn't get the 'stop running this script' prompts. Add the conditions back in, and I got 'stop running this script' prompts.

Planet Technologies || SharePoint Task Force
    Friday, July 22, 2011 4:58 AM
  • I know you say that the list is not your issue, but I still think it might be. I have been having the same problem and like yourself I have a list with over 2000 items. When the form loads I do not experience any problems. My list populates and all seems right with the world.

Unfortunately, there are radio buttons that when selected make other sections visible through conditional formatting. The rules are simple. Hid this section unless a given readio button value is true, but whenever the user clicks this radio button with the form displayed in IE, there is a long pause and the message you described pops up.

I also get the message evertime the form is submited. Just as described the problem goes away and the form runs quite smoothly in firefox.

I tried many things to remedy issue, like yourself, assuming the list was not my problem since it is populated quite easily on form load. Nothing worked until I tried detaching the list. As soon as I did that the script messages went away.

I cannot explain this behavior. It probably has something to do with javascript that is being ran on postback.

Christopher A wininger
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 6:33 PM
  • I have two seperate forms that have had this issue. I corrected one but am still trying to resolve the issue with the second one.

With one form I was recieving the script error message when using a drop down populated by a list that 1800 items in it. I was able to correct this by converting the list into an .xml file and then using that as a resource file within the form.

I'm still trying to track down a solution on my other form, at first I was receiving the error with how I was generating my File Name. It was counting certain criteria based on certain filters and as the amount of info to count and filter has grown I began to recieve the error. I have corrected that by changing how I generate the File Name but I am still receiving the error on some radio buttons. I think it may have something to do with what was mentioned above about formatting or conditions or rules.

Monday, November 14, 2011 3:27 PM
  • Try the following thing

1. Right click the control and select properties

2. Go to browser forms tab

3. select "Always" for the control to postback always

Nitesh Earkara
    • Proposed as answer by E MS Tuesday, February 12, 2013 7:12 PM
    Friday, November 25, 2011 12:06 AM
  • I'm facing the same issue and i don't know how to solve it, i tried disabling the script debbuger (only ie) but nothing, and the other workaround is to set a value in the register, but if this works would mean that i'll have to do it in every single machine using the form.

Has anyone found the solution for this?

Thanks!

Regards, Joel Di Rosa
    Monday, February 06, 2012 2:16 PM
  • Hello Joel, are you still working with SP 2007 or 2010 now? Since I have been on 2010, I no longer have this issue. I do however continue to see some delays with loading data in IE that I don't see in Chrome, Safari or Firefox.

As a work around for most of my forms now I use a query on lists with large amounts of data, thus eliminating the form load error that you receive when leveraging IE. For example if I am populating a list of applications that could potentially be hundreds or thousands, you might have metadata that you tag each application by for instance 'application type'. 

Employing this method of using a cascading drop down lists can help trim down the list size you are populating in the form field in addition to querying for data once 'application type' is changed to then populate, in the example I used, the 'application' dropdown list.

SharePoint Solution Architect | MCTS 2007, 2010
    Monday, February 06, 2012 3:05 PM
  • Hello Mark,

I'm using SP 2007, and still trying to solve this.

I have data connections to lists in the same site collection as the form library, but none of the list has over 2000 items (as recomended).

When users hit any bottom, ie stop responding and the messages pops up. I'm using IE 7 and i also read that with IE 8 this error is fixed, is this true?

More, we had a log in which we keep track of every action of the open form. Who, When, and what, is the info. And this info is stored in a sharepoint list. When the form is opened, this repeated table fills out with the information retrieved from the list. When a person hits any button, a new row is created. This list has now 1835 items. Don't know if this could be the reason for the error. It's less than 2000.

Regards, Joel Di Rosa
    Monday, February 06, 2012 3:26 PM
  • Hello Joel, my experience period with IE 7 even with a list of 1000 is that the form will return that error. I cant recall exactly however I believe I still that error even in IE8.

Can you try not loading the data to the form on form load? Possibly query for the data after the form loads? Also have you tested in any other browsers just to eliminate doubt in any other areas?

Monday, February 06, 2012 3:41 PM
  • I tried permorming the same actions in Mozilla Firefox and the response time is incredible less than in IE. I've got no error message and the action perfoms satisfactory.

My best guess is that repeated table is causing the problems. Could you please tell me how to query the data after the form loads or if you know some tutorial page to follow? I was thinking in doing that and if it doesn't works, remove temporaly these logs, to see what happens.

Thanks for helping me!

Regards, Joel Di Rosa
    Monday, February 06, 2012 5:54 PM
  • Hello Joel, I actually purchased this book (InfoPath with SharePoint 2010) sometime back that helped me get started. Here is another link with some resources: http://www.bizsupportonline.net/blog/2011/01/2-ways-use-repeating-table-sharepoint-list-infopath-2010/

The first link I provided demonstrates a method that 'on field change' query for data in the list. For example after our migration from SharePoint 2007-2010 I built a SharePoint 411 form that allows help desk and end-users to see where their old site moved from - to. When the form loads I don't bring in any fields. However I have two drop-down lists setup, 1 for Site Owner and 1 for Line of Business. If the user select either one or the other, upon drop-down list change, the repeating fields area will return with all the values.

For my example above though, I am not writing anything back to the list but merely using form as dynamic lookup capability.

Please let me know if this helps.

Monday, February 06, 2012 6:15 PM
  • I've done that but i keep getting the same errors when someone does an action in the form.

Besides, the form takes a minute to load, when in Mozilla it only takes less than 5 seconds.

I will try to disable these logs, to see what happens.

Do you have any other idea? I'm running out of them :(.

Thanks!

Regards, Joel Di Rosa
    Monday, February 06, 2012 6:39 PM
  • I've done that but i keep getting the same errors when someone does an action in the form.

Besides, the form takes a minute to load, when in Mozilla it only takes less than 5 seconds.

I will try to disable these logs, to see what happens.

Do you have any other idea? I'm running out of them :(.

Thanks!

Regards, Joel Di Rosa

If i use Mozilla Firefox the application works perfect, but if i use it with IE don't. I cannot use Firefox for the clients (only me), so i have to solve it to IE.

I mean, knowing this, the problem isn't in the form or infopath, but it exist in IE, right?

I'm trying not to keep track of the actions made, and disable the logs, to see what happens.

Regards, Joel Di Rosa
    Monday, February 06, 2012 6:53 PM
  • Mark,

Just to tell you that i disabled the data connection option retrieve data automatically when the form is opened for the logs data connection, and when the users interact with the application, it works perfectly, response time fast, no error message.

I will put a "Refresh" bottom upon the logs title, and when a user wants to see them, click on the bottom, and then retrieve the data from the list.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME AND KNOWLEDGE!

Regards, Joel Di Rosa
    Monday, February 06, 2012 8:39 PM
  • The script error fix is located here:
    Friday, May 04, 2012 4:37 PM
  • Wow I cant believe people are still posting about this from my original post in a time far removed from now. Here is also another way you can limit the amount of items returned easily through cascading dropdowns: http://koobarspoint.blogspot.com/2010/06/cascading-drop-downs-with-infopath-2010.html

This for me has been the fix without having to worry about those pesky IE issues.

I do have one comment regarding the fix you posted. How is this helpful for an enterprise? Safari, Chrome, Firefox dont have that issue and only IE. If I still had that issue with the script in forms, am I expected to push this fix to my entire enterprise to address one issue not found in any other browser?

SharePoint Business Solutions Architect | MCTS 2007, 2010

Friday, May 04, 2012 4:43 PM
  • Hi Nitesh, Thanks for your help. I was getting this error i slected DD options which displaying Data form SP list, getting 200 fields.

i tried your suggestion worked well no error. Thanks!!!

FYI.

Try the following thing

1. Right click the control and select properties

2. Go to browser forms tab

3. select "Always" for the control to postback always

• Edited by E MS Tuesday, February 12, 2013 7:14 PM
    Tuesday, February 12, 2013 7:12 PM