none
How to set Alert on Item level in Document library in Sharepoint 2007 using the object model?

Question

• Hi Friends,

How i can set the alert on item level in custom list and Document library in Sharepoint 2007?

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, July 07, 2010 8:06 AM "using the object model?" added to Title
    Wednesday, July 07, 2010 7:32 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

In a list or document library , click on the drop down of item under "Title" column and choose "Alert me" option. This will take you to another page where you can customize the message and do related stuff.

Regards,

Manvir
    Wednesday, July 07, 2010 7:46 AM
  • Hi Manvir,

Thank you for giveing response.

Manually we can configure alert by "Alert Me" option.

How we can alert for a list item or document using Object model?

We have requirement like in document library we have column called "Expire".

User should get alert before 1 day.

I have developed a web part where user will browse the document and upload.

So i need to append the code for alerts there.

Please help us.

Wednesday, July 07, 2010 7:57 AM
  • If you want to ask about how to do things using the object model, you should clearly state this in the original post and in the Title.

Otherwise you waste the time of people responding to you with a good (normal - not object model) answer.

I'm now going to change the title to include "object model".  Please in future if you post such a question include something similar in the Title and Text.

(moderator)

2010 Books: SPF 2010; SPS 2010; SPD 2010; InfoPath 2010; Workflow etc.
    2007 Books: WSS 3.0; MOSS 2007; SPD 2007; InfoPath 2007; PerformancePoint; SSRS; Workflow
    Both lists also include books in French; German; Spanish with even more languages in the 2007 list.
    Wednesday, July 07, 2010 8:05 AM
  • Akhilesh,

For that you write workflow or timer job.

Thanks & Regards, Neerubee
    • Marked as answer by Akhilesh Rao Friday, July 09, 2010 6:55 AM
    Wednesday, July 07, 2010 8:05 AM
  • Hi, Akhilesh

As neerubee suggested, creating a custom timer job to monitor the “Expire” document and set the alert seem to be more closer to your needs.

You can follow the following walk through for creating a custom time job, you can implement the code logic there(loop expired SPListItem daily and send alert by code).

Creating Custom Timer Jobs in Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc406686.aspx

Creating Custom SharePoint Timer Jobs :http://www.andrewconnell.com/blog/articles/CreatingCustomSharePointTimerJobs.aspx

Hope this can help.

Best Regards,

-Aaron

• Marked as answer by Akhilesh Rao Friday, July 09, 2010 6:55 AM
    Friday, July 09, 2010 2:30 AM