none
Custom Email Alerts using Helpdesk Template in MOSS 2007

Question

• Hi All,

I recently installed the Helpdesk template on our SharePoint 2007 Server but I want to find out how to set up alerts so that when a job request has been assigned to person X an email will automatically be sent to that person. Currently you can custimise the Service Request list so that whenever changes are made to it an email can be sent to a designated person, however, what we require is an email being sent to the service request owner.

I presume this will require custom coding but is there third party plug-ins which provide this functionality? As i have never programmed for MOSS i was wondering how much of a task is it to provide this functionality?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Rabi

Friday, February 22, 2008 3:10 PM

Answers

• To be honest i've not played with HelpDesk template. I can suggest something that strikes my mind.

You can develop a custom workflow to send a mail, when a task is assigned from one person to another. Custom Workflows can be developed either using SharePoint Designer or Visual Studio. SharePoint Designer always has a limitation compared to Visual Studio way of developing workflows. Since you are move inclined towards achieving this without-coding, please refer the following channe9 videos on sharepoint workflow. One of the videos has the creating such a workflow using sharepoint designer

http://channel9.msdn.com/Showforum.aspx?forumid=38&tagid=59

Friday, February 22, 2008 4:45 PM

All replies

• To be honest i've not played with HelpDesk template. I can suggest something that strikes my mind.

You can develop a custom workflow to send a mail, when a task is assigned from one person to another. Custom Workflows can be developed either using SharePoint Designer or Visual Studio. SharePoint Designer always has a limitation compared to Visual Studio way of developing workflows. Since you are move inclined towards achieving this without-coding, please refer the following channe9 videos on sharepoint workflow. One of the videos has the creating such a workflow using sharepoint designer

http://channel9.msdn.com/Showforum.aspx?forumid=38&tagid=59

Friday, February 22, 2008 4:45 PM
  • You should be able to accomplish what you need to do with SharePoint Designer.  There also is a CodePlex project that I have found very helpful, so I try to mention it anytime I see a post where it looks like people could benefit from it.

http://www.codeplex.com/SPDActivities

With the activites that these add to SPD you can look up a persons manager, if you have your SP users list updated with the Manager field.

Friday, February 22, 2008 4:56 PM
  • Hi Sundar and Eric, thanks for your suggestions I will certainly look at workflows and codeplex.

I also found a third party Web Part called SharePoint Reminder from Pentalogic which provides greater alert email functionality
    . I'm currently investigating it to see whether it does what we require.

Many thanks again for your input!

Rabi

Monday, February 25, 2008 3:58 PM
  • hi ibar78, I'd like to know if that is freeware or shareware ?

If I'd like to customize it further (eg. insert into or READ from ORACLE database, custom workflow and site colour design) can I do it from SharePoint Designer 2007 which is now freeware ?

Thanks

/* Windows Infrastructure Support Engineer */
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 12:26 PM
  • ibar78,

I also failed to mention that a task list has a built in e-mail feature when a task has been assigned to someone.  If the help desk uses a task list then it might already be there.  To turn on the feature you must use a Task list, and then go to Settings -> List Settings -> Advanced Settings -> E-mail notification (set it to yes).  This is no code solution, but you must figure out a way to use a Task list for your Service Requests.  Maybe Service Requests is already a task list, I don't know if this is the case or not (If this list came with the HelpDesk template).

In my previous post I mentioned SPD and some SPD activities that could be added.  This really is a no-code solution as well.  It might take a little gettng used to, but SPD workflows are pretty good.
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 4:55 PM
  • Albert,

SPD workflows cannot read or write to an Oracle database out of the box.  You should be able to set up a data view to any database on a page, but unfortunately this cannot be done in a workflow. 

There might be some activities that allow this that have been developed by others.  CodePlex  has many things for SharePoint and SPD that are free.  Also, some companies have developed things that they sell.  If you want a user to pick something from a database then you might be able to set up an InfoPath form to pull from an outside source, and then what the user selects can be saved to a list.However, an InfoPath form that accesses an outside source will probably require administrator approval.    Also, the Business Data Catalog (BDC) might do what you need but I haven't used that yet so I can't help with any guidance there. 

There are lots of options and the short answer is yes it can be done, but it there might not be a quick simple solution.  Also, your question about read/write to Oracle was a little off topic from what ibar78's original question.  You probably will get faster response if you use a separate thread for something like that.

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 6:21 PM
  • Wow thanks for the explanation Eric, I didn't know that this SharePoint HelpDesk template can actually do email update :-)

Cheers,

AWT

/* Windows Infrastructure Support Engineer */
    Sunday, March 28, 2010 2:15 AM
  • No Problem, glad to help.  Technically the e-mail update is a part of the Task list, not jut the HelpDesk template.  You will be able to use this on any SharePoint site.  Workflows will use a task list  and users can enter tasks directly, so this really applies to any site you are on.  You can also have multiple task lists in case you need one that does send emails and one that doesn't.

Of course the limitation to the task list is that it only sends notifications when entered, and not reminders as due dates approach.  For this you will still need SPD or VS workflows.

Sunday, March 28, 2010 3:48 PM