none
Error: The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed.

Question

• Hi,

While running the Sharepoint 2010 product configuration wizard, i am getting the below error:

"An exception of type System.SystemException was thrown.  Additional exception information: The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed."

In the 14 hive logs, i can see the same error. Event id is 104.

What could be the reason, and how to fix this?

Thank you

Monday, July 09, 2012 11:50 AM

Answers

• Hi Venkatzeus,

What user account did you use to login to the server which was used to run SharePoint 2010 Product Configuration Wizard? Did the error occur when the system was creating SharePoint configuration database (SharePoint_Config) and content database (SharePoint_AdminContent) of Central Administration web application?

Make sure network connection is as good as the workstation is already connected to domain controller. You can check via DNS and also by logging to workstation using domain user account. There are many reasons causing the error like "The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed." This error may not be tell you that your workstation (your server running SP 2010 Product Configuration Wizard) onnected to domain controller. This would tell your account stored in Active Directory you were using didn't has right SQL Server role in the SQL Server, so it couldn't connect to master database.

The following things I highly recommend you to double check:

• The account used to install and run Configuration Wizard must has securityadmin and dbcreator roles in the SQL Server. It also must be a member of Local Administrator group in server (known as workstation in this case).
    • If you use separately a database server, make sure the Windows Firewall with Advance Security allows incoming port 1433, 1434 from outsider to SQL Server (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc646023.aspx)
    • What kind of authentication does your system provide ? If Kerberos, considering timestamp value.
    • Consider if any firewall, proxy is put in the middle of "workstation and AD server".

Let me know if all I have recommended are ok. So I will continue to think about different aspects.

-T.s

Thuan Soldier
    SharePoint Vietnam | Blog | Twitter

Monday, July 09, 2012 12:19 PM
  • Caused by the machine account becoming inconsistent in Active Directory.  The easiest solution is just to remove the server from the domain, reboot it and join it back to the domain.  Full instructions for this are in this KB article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/162797

Duncan

Duncan Sutcliffe
    All postings are solely my own and do not represent or constitute Hitachi Consulting's positions, views, strategies or opinions.

Monday, July 09, 2012 1:23 PM

All replies

• Hiya,

Has the server recently been restored?

That is an error you can get if there is a mismatch between Domain and Server timestamps.

Maybe the server has a time skew...
    Monday, July 09, 2012 11:55 AM
  • Hi Venkatzeus,

What user account did you use to login to the server which was used to run SharePoint 2010 Product Configuration Wizard? Did the error occur when the system was creating SharePoint configuration database (SharePoint_Config) and content database (SharePoint_AdminContent) of Central Administration web application?

Make sure network connection is as good as the workstation is already connected to domain controller. You can check via DNS and also by logging to workstation using domain user account. There are many reasons causing the error like "The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed." This error may not be tell you that your workstation (your server running SP 2010 Product Configuration Wizard) onnected to domain controller. This would tell your account stored in Active Directory you were using didn't has right SQL Server role in the SQL Server, so it couldn't connect to master database.

The following things I highly recommend you to double check:

• The account used to install and run Configuration Wizard must has securityadmin and dbcreator roles in the SQL Server. It also must be a member of Local Administrator group in server (known as workstation in this case).
    • If you use separately a database server, make sure the Windows Firewall with Advance Security allows incoming port 1433, 1434 from outsider to SQL Server (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc646023.aspx)
    • What kind of authentication does your system provide ? If Kerberos, considering timestamp value.
    • Consider if any firewall, proxy is put in the middle of "workstation and AD server".

Let me know if all I have recommended are ok. So I will continue to think about different aspects.

-T.s

Thuan Soldier
    SharePoint Vietnam | Blog | Twitter

Monday, July 09, 2012 12:19 PM
  • Caused by the machine account becoming inconsistent in Active Directory.  The easiest solution is just to remove the server from the domain, reboot it and join it back to the domain.  Full instructions for this are in this KB article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/162797

Duncan

Duncan Sutcliffe
    All postings are solely my own and do not represent or constitute Hitachi Consulting's positions, views, strategies or opinions.

Monday, July 09, 2012 1:23 PM
  • This solution is worked  for me.

YOGESHA H P(MCTS)

Wednesday, April 02, 2014 12:15 PM