Anyone using 960 Grid System on Sharepoint 2007 master pages

Question

• I've been drawn into creating a SharePoint master page and instead of using table nested in table, nested in table... I want to try to use a grid system for the layout (it's cleaner and more efficient). I typically roll my own, but since this is under pressure to be cranked, I'm using 960 to build it on the fly. Has anyone done this previously and will it work the way I'm hoping it will? (ie, just use it normally)

I imagine this question has been asked before so if there are other questions or discussions, I'm good with a shove to the right discussion. :)

Monday, January 09, 2012 3:55 PM

Answers

• I've never used the 960 Grid system, from a quick look it looks pretty cool, and it should work really well with SharePoint. It looks to just be some CSS and a little Javascript, so unless the Javascript does anything odd that interferes with SharePoint's Javascript, it should integrate just fine.

I've done master pages that went completely away from the nested tables approach. The key to doing this easily in my opinion is to start with a good base master page, Heather Solomon's is what I use (in fact her whole site is a great reference for SharePoint based design). With that it's very easy to add in whatever CSS, Javascript etc that you need.

• Marked as answer by Tony Dunsworth Tuesday, January 10, 2012 4:04 PM
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 9:52 AM

All replies

• I've never used the 960 Grid system, from a quick look it looks pretty cool, and it should work really well with SharePoint. It looks to just be some CSS and a little Javascript, so unless the Javascript does anything odd that interferes with SharePoint's Javascript, it should integrate just fine.

I've done master pages that went completely away from the nested tables approach. The key to doing this easily in my opinion is to start with a good base master page, Heather Solomon's is what I use (in fact her whole site is a great reference for SharePoint based design). With that it's very easy to add in whatever CSS, Javascript etc that you need.

• Marked as answer by Tony Dunsworth Tuesday, January 10, 2012 4:04 PM
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 9:52 AM
  • Steven,

Thanks for the link, it looks fantastic!!! I also found one myself from Jeremy Jameson which answered a tonne of questions. Between these two, I feel a lot happier getting this knocked out and done!!!!

Thank you again!!!

Tony

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 4:06 PM