none
Application Templates

Question

•  

How can I change the name of the "Application Templates" tab to some shorter name, such as "Apps"?

Thanks,

SharePoint Newbie

Friday, July 20, 2007 4:30 PM

Answers

• It can be done be will require a little work on your part.  First, the long way for future deployments:

Copy all your WSP files to some location: (C:\Temp for example).  Open a command prompt and run the following batch command to extract all the files:

Code Snippet
    for %i in (*.wsp) do @extrac32 /E "%i" /L "SolutionFiles\%i"

Find all your WEBTEMP* files and open them up in notepad.  Find anything that has:

DisplayCategory="Application Templates"

and rename as appropriate. (DisplayCategory="Apps").

Download the Cabinet SDK from http://download.microsoft.com/download/platformsdk/cab/2.0/w98nt42kmexp/en-us/cabsdk.exe and extract the files to C:\Temp\CABSDK.

Delete the original WSP files in your temporary directory and run the following to repackage them as WSP files.

Code Snippet

for /D %i in (*.wsp) do @cd "SolutionFiles\%i" & "C:\Temp\CABSDK\BIN\CABSRC.EXE" -p -r n "..\..\%i" *.* & cd "..\.."

Now the short way, you will need to do for already deployed solutions:

Go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12.  Within the 12-hive, you will need to find the WEBTEMP files.  It is in one of these following locations beyond 12 (I just can't remember right now). XML; XML\1033; TEMPLATE\XML; TEMPLATE\XML\1033; TEMPLATE\1033\XML.  Update the DisplayCategory attribute for each WEBTEMP*.XML file as listed above.  You must perform this on each machine you have already deployed, and you must perform an iisreset to see the changes.

Saturday, July 21, 2007 9:12 AM

All replies

• It can be done be will require a little work on your part.  First, the long way for future deployments:

Copy all your WSP files to some location: (C:\Temp for example).  Open a command prompt and run the following batch command to extract all the files:

Code Snippet
    for %i in (*.wsp) do @extrac32 /E "%i" /L "SolutionFiles\%i"

Find all your WEBTEMP* files and open them up in notepad.  Find anything that has:

DisplayCategory="Application Templates"

and rename as appropriate. (DisplayCategory="Apps").

Download the Cabinet SDK from http://download.microsoft.com/download/platformsdk/cab/2.0/w98nt42kmexp/en-us/cabsdk.exe and extract the files to C:\Temp\CABSDK.

Delete the original WSP files in your temporary directory and run the following to repackage them as WSP files.

Code Snippet

for /D %i in (*.wsp) do @cd "SolutionFiles\%i" & "C:\Temp\CABSDK\BIN\CABSRC.EXE" -p -r n "..\..\%i" *.* & cd "..\.."

Now the short way, you will need to do for already deployed solutions:

Go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12.  Within the 12-hive, you will need to find the WEBTEMP files.  It is in one of these following locations beyond 12 (I just can't remember right now). XML; XML\1033; TEMPLATE\XML; TEMPLATE\XML\1033; TEMPLATE\1033\XML.  Update the DisplayCategory attribute for each WEBTEMP*.XML file as listed above.  You must perform this on each machine you have already deployed, and you must perform an iisreset to see the changes.

Saturday, July 21, 2007 9:12 AM
  •  It works.

Thank you so much

Monday, July 23, 2007 12:17 PM