none
Duplicate Workflow Tasks created in same Workflow Instance

Question

• I'm seeing an issue with a workflow task duplicating in our environment, that I was hoping someone with some better knowledge around the subject than me could assist with.

I have a workflow set to start only when an item is created in a Project Requests list. These workflow steps are fairly simple... it's entirely linearly, assigning a ToDo item a person from the original item, then updating the status field.  When a new Project Request item is created, the workflow shows as In Progress as one would expect, and I can see the first workflow task in the Workflow Status page.  However, without any changes to the workflow and without having even so much as opened the task or the associated list item, a little bit later a second task for the same workflow step shows up in my tasks list.
    Assign Project Manager to New Request   11/5/2008 8:56 AM In Progress 
    Assign Project Manager to New Request   11/5/2008 9:35 AM In Progress
    If I go into Workflow status for the Project Request, these are both listed under the same Workflow instance.  And if I were to complete either of them, the next step in the workflow will proceed correctly. However, if I complete both of the tasks, I get two versions of the next step as well.  It's like there are two instances of the workflow running under the same workflow instance. 

Nothing in the workflow in SharePoint Designer would suggest to me that it should start another instance, or regenerate the same task again.  I dug around online, but just couldn't find anything on this subject.  I'm fairly new to this process, so I'm hopeful that someone can just point out my obvious mistake and I can get this cleared up.

Thanks in advance for any help, it is greatly appreciated.
    -Simon
    Friday, November 07, 2008 7:59 PM

All replies

• I have the same issue... Did you ever find a solution?  I did test out one thing... I created a new workflow and that does not created duplicate instances!!  I want to  avoid doing the entire thing again... so any advise would help.
    Friday, April 17, 2009 9:15 PM
  • Finally figured this one out with the help of a MicroSoft tech support person!  I needed to add a 2 minute pause as the first step on the workflow.  The reason the workflow was re-starting was because the server was slow in starting the workflow... and depending on the time it took to start the workflow... the workflow either started a second time or errored out (if the workflow had not completely started the first time).  maybe this will not be required in future versions of WSS.
    • Proposed as answer by 123maha Friday, April 05, 2013 9:03 AM
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 7:22 PM