none
Access Denied Error when trying to connect to Configuration Database

Question

• The database server back-end for our MOSS 2007 website crashed and we had to restore the database backups onto a new server.  I then did the following:

1. Started the "SharePoint Products and Technologies Configuration Wizard" on the web server front-end and . 

2. Entered "Yes, I want to connect to and existing server farm".

3. Entered the new SQL Server name\instance and  clicked "Retrieve Database Names"

4. Selected the configuration database from the dropdown list.

5. Entered the password for the domain username account (it has admin rights on the SQL Server).

6. Clicked Advanced Settings and selected "Use this machine to host the web site".

7. And finally clicked the "Next" button.

Once the configuration wizard starts, it makes it to step two and then fails with the following error:

"Failed to connect to the configuration database. An exception of type System.Security.SecurityExecption was thrown."

I have reviewed the event log but cannot find a reason for why access is denied.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Eric

Thursday, April 22, 2010 10:59 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Eric,

Restoring a  configuration Database on a new instance of sharepoint is not a great idea. MS does'nt support it. Incase required, you should create a new configuration database and then start disaster recovery from there. Anyways, if you have farm backup, you may restore the compleyte using CA. Please check:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc671616.aspx saying "Although the configuration database and the SharePoint Central Administration Web site content database can be backed up, restoring backups of the configuration database and Central Administration content database from a farm by using the tools built in to SharePoint Products and Technologies is not supported.

This is because data in these databases may not be synchronized with data in other Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 databases. Therefore, the tools built in to SharePoint Products and Technologies do not recover these databases during a farm-level recovery."

Anywhich case, the reason you are getting this error is that the Sharepoint Pool account (running timer service with) should be OWNER of the database so have your DBA check the same and assign the previliges accordingly.

Thanks!

I LOVE MS..... Thanks and Regards, Kshitiz (Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.)
    • Edited by Kshitizs Friday, April 23, 2010 12:10 AM better!!!
    • Proposed as answer by John Ferringer Friday, April 23, 2010 2:41 AM
    • Marked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, April 23, 2010 3:44 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by SD Eric Friday, April 23, 2010 6:05 PM
    Friday, April 23, 2010 12:10 AM
  • Hi Kshitizs,

You're post pointed me in the right direction.  I found this article which outlined exactly what I was looking for:

Move all databases (Windows SharePoint Services 3.0)

We got our MOSS site up and running.

Thanks!

Eric

• Marked as answer by SD Eric Friday, April 23, 2010 6:05 PM
    Friday, April 23, 2010 6:04 PM