none
Sharepoint 2010 workflow to send automatic email notification before document expiry

Question

• I'm in the process of creating a listitem reminder workflow in a document library using SPD 2010. To be more specific this is what im doing....

1. Created an OOTB Approval workflow for a 3 level document review/approval process
    2. Created an ListItem Workflow from SPD 2010 on doc library level to achieve the following....

The document should be expired in 2 years from the date its approved.

Prior to 2 weeks of the document expiry, have to send and automatic email notification to the document owner (the one who created)

As per few suggestion from some blogs/forums, I have created a list item workflow which starts whenever the items is changed in the document libray. Inside the workflow I'm calculating Expiry date by adding 2 years, Calculating Notification date by using "Pause until date(expiry date)" task, "send email" task.

This workflow starts when the document (approval status) changes from DRAFT to PENDING

But the workflow DOES NOT start when the approval status changes from PENDING to APPROVED....? (those status are set by OOTB APPROVAL workflow)

Could you please give me a solution...I know the story went long, thought of explaining the whole situation. please let me know if you need further info....? If you want i can provide the workflow script.

Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 3:29 AM

Answers

• Hi ,

I understand that when your DocumentExpirationNotifier doesn’t start when the status of the document changes to approved .As far as I
    know ,the approval workflow will not change the approval status of current item by default .Which means when the approval workflow ends it will not change the status of current item .It only show the status of the workflow name as Approved .

For a designer approval workflow  to change the approval status ,you need to add an action ‘Set content approval status’ by changing the behavior of overall task process .For the OOTB approval workflow created in browser ,you need to check ‘Update the approval status after the workflow is completed’ .

Thanks

Entan Ming

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by TarSam Tuesday, March 13, 2012 12:57 PM
    Wednesday, March 07, 2012 9:14 AM

All replies

• Really would need to see the workflow do you have any screenshots. The fact it starts when a n item is changed to pending but not approved makes me think it is looking for a particular 'setting' to start the workflow.

Alan Richards www.edutechnow.com

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 8:22 AM
  • Thanks.... Here you go.. Sorry for my debugging script :) This is time i have a calculated column (Expires On) on my doc library level. (pause for 1 min & if 1 <> 1, i just tried...:(:

Workflow script &

• Screen shot When Approval status changing from Draft to Pending

• When Approval status changing from Pending to Approved (notice DocumentExpiryNotifier didn't start this time)

• Edited by TarSam Tuesday, March 06, 2012 3:20 PM
    Tuesday, March 06, 2012 2:49 PM
  • Hi ,

I understand that when your DocumentExpirationNotifier doesn’t start when the status of the document changes to approved .As far as I
    know ,the approval workflow will not change the approval status of current item by default .Which means when the approval workflow ends it will not change the status of current item .It only show the status of the workflow name as Approved .

For a designer approval workflow  to change the approval status ,you need to add an action ‘Set content approval status’ by changing the behavior of overall task process .For the OOTB approval workflow created in browser ,you need to check ‘Update the approval status after the workflow is completed’ .

Thanks

Entan Ming

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by TarSam Tuesday, March 13, 2012 12:57 PM
    Wednesday, March 07, 2012 9:14 AM
  • I understand that. But I have the check box 'Update the approval status after the workflow is completed' on my OOTB approval workflow. No luck.

And I also I couldn't 'COPY & MODIFY' the Standard Sharepoint Approval workflow from my subsite (using SPD 2010). It only allows from Root site level...

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 12:57 PM