none
Relational External Content Types

Question

• I am creating an external content type in sharepoint 2010

2 tables i have is

1. Voter

2. Status

I created an external content type -Voters table

2. external content is from the status table that picks up the voter id.

in sharepoint I want to show names from voter table and status from Status table.

when i right click and say > New Association and select to associate Status able to Voters table, I get error on the first page itself -"Association Properties"

"The related identifier ID is mapped to field VoterCompanyID which is already marked as an identifier of this external content type."

Please advice.

Monday, September 12, 2011 7:02 AM

Answers

• Hi,

If your association goes from Voter to Status you should :

1. Go to Status ECT->right-click on Status table->Select "New Association"
    2. Click "Browse" to select related External Content Type->Select Voter ECT->Map an identifier "ID" from Voter ECT to the VoterID field in the Status ECT

Dmitry

Lightning Tools LogoLightning Tools Check out our SharePoint tools and web parts
    Tuesday, November 08, 2011 11:10 AM

All replies

• Hi,

In SharePoint designer you should select Status external content type->New Association->Click Browse to select related External Content Type->Select Voter ECT->Map an identifier from Voter ECT to the voter id field in the Statues ECT->Click Next

Please take a look at this article BCS External Content Type Associations in SPD

Dmitry

Lightning Tools LogoLightning Tools Check out our SharePoint tools and web parts
    Monday, September 12, 2011 11:10 AM
  • that is what I was trying to do, but get the error message  -

when i right click and say > New Association and select to associate Status able to Voters table, I get error on the first page itself -"Association Properties"

"The related identifier ID is mapped to field VoterCompanyID which is already marked as an identifier of this external content type."

Please advice.

Monday, September 12, 2011 11:10 PM
  • Are you trying to do the same way as the above article describes?

Dmitry

Monday, September 12, 2011 11:16 PM
  • Could you please post the Key and Foreign Key columns of the Voter and Status table? That is, on which columns are those tables related?
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 6:36 AM
  • Definition of voter table =

ID

Voter Name

Definition of Status table

VoterID (FK)

StatusText

Thursday, September 29, 2011 12:33 AM
  • You can map the related identifier id (which i guess is the ID field in Voter table) to the VoterID(FK) field.
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 2:08 AM
  • Thats what I am doing.

I created 2 external content types - Status / and Voters

Definition of voter table =

ID

Voter Name

Definition of Status table

VoterID (FK)

StatusText

Then I go to Voters External content type > New Association > selected Status as the "Related External Content Types".

below is the error message.

Monday, November 07, 2011 4:00 AM
  • Hi,

If your association goes from Voter to Status you should :

1. Go to Status ECT->right-click on Status table->Select "New Association"
    2. Click "Browse" to select related External Content Type->Select Voter ECT->Map an identifier "ID" from Voter ECT to the VoterID field in the Status ECT

Dmitry

Tuesday, November 08, 2011 11:10 AM
  • Hi cheerfulwish,

Were you able to resolve your issue?

Dmitry

Thursday, January 12, 2012 9:22 AM