none
Sharepoint 2010 Contact list created and shared in Outlook 2010 but...

Question

• I created a contact list in Sharepoint to add all extensions of users within the company and added a few additional columns that we would like to have viewable in Outlook 2010 however when I connect the contact list to outlook 2010 it will not show any of the custom contact fields I created in Sharepoint.  So what needs to happend to make sure the custom columns are viewable in Outlook 2010?

For Example I created the extension column and added extensions that are only pertinent to internal office users.  Also added a column for nick names, and Family member, etc. but none show up.

I have not tried doing it the opposite way.  That is creating a caterory in outlook that may be viewable in Sharepoint but I am guessing it wont work either.  Any help to get these columns to view would be helpful

Thursday, March 25, 2010 8:09 PM

Answers

• I wish Microsoft made this easier too... I don't understand how they can make Access synching so easy, but can't seem to get Outlook items that are connected to SharePoint to do the same.

Anyhow, I have the exact same need.. I came across this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/920278 from another post during a google search. 

I tried it out and it works! Not exactly what I wanted... but good enough for now.

To clarify on the link I included above:

1. In SP 2010 go to a contact list (in my case I want custom fields in contacts to show in SP and Outlook)
    2. List settings... "Add from existing site columns"
    3. Select "Core contacts and calendar columns"
    4. Scroll down to "User Field 1" etc
    5. Add that field and click ok

Now in Outlook (2010 or 2007)

1. Enable the developer ribbon (go to outlook options -->customize ribbon -->check developer box
    2. Open contact form
    3. Find developer ribbon and choose to "design this form" button
    4. Look for the "Field Chooser" button (which is probably already open by default in design mode)
    5. Find "User Field 1" and place it where you need it on your form
    6. You can rename the label to whatever you want
    7. Yes, rename the column in SP as well... don't worry this won't screw up the mapping since when renaming such a core column you are only really renaming the label in SP!

That's it... yes, I know... it sucks that you can't use lookup columns and fancier type columns from sharepoint... however, this is a compromise. You can implement checkboxes, manual value dropdowns, etc. as well.

This isn't what I would like but its what I can get! Dam it... Microsoft seems to intentionally place these shortcomings in their software apps just so a side market of custom apps will develop around their products to address these annoyances!

Cheers,

Marcelo Ramagem

Wednesday, February 02, 2011 3:31 PM

All replies

• You might want to rethink the architecture of what you are doing.  If you put the data in something consumable by BCS, you can follow Fabian's blog to map the columns to Outlook contact mappings:

http://fabiangwilliams.wordpress.com/tag/office-2010/

Chris

Chris Givens CEO, Architecting Connected Systems Blog Twitter
    Friday, March 26, 2010 12:50 AM
  • I wish Microsoft made this easier too... I don't understand how they can make Access synching so easy, but can't seem to get Outlook items that are connected to SharePoint to do the same.

Anyhow, I have the exact same need.. I came across this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/920278 from another post during a google search. 

I tried it out and it works! Not exactly what I wanted... but good enough for now.

To clarify on the link I included above:

1. In SP 2010 go to a contact list (in my case I want custom fields in contacts to show in SP and Outlook)
    2. List settings... "Add from existing site columns"
    3. Select "Core contacts and calendar columns"
    4. Scroll down to "User Field 1" etc
    5. Add that field and click ok

Now in Outlook (2010 or 2007)

1. Enable the developer ribbon (go to outlook options -->customize ribbon -->check developer box
    2. Open contact form
    3. Find developer ribbon and choose to "design this form" button
    4. Look for the "Field Chooser" button (which is probably already open by default in design mode)
    5. Find "User Field 1" and place it where you need it on your form
    6. You can rename the label to whatever you want
    7. Yes, rename the column in SP as well... don't worry this won't screw up the mapping since when renaming such a core column you are only really renaming the label in SP!

That's it... yes, I know... it sucks that you can't use lookup columns and fancier type columns from sharepoint... however, this is a compromise. You can implement checkboxes, manual value dropdowns, etc. as well.

This isn't what I would like but its what I can get! Dam it... Microsoft seems to intentionally place these shortcomings in their software apps just so a side market of custom apps will develop around their products to address these annoyances!

Cheers,

Marcelo Ramagem

Wednesday, February 02, 2011 3:31 PM
  • Marcelo,

I'm running into an issue with your solution in which the custom form I created for a Contact folder is no longer used when it is linked to a Sharepoint list.

If I create a form based off the default Contact form, then change my contact list folder that I linked to a Sharepoint contact list to use this custom form, I can create a contact just fine and it uses the custom form.. However, after a few seconds, I open the contact again and it opens using the default contact form.

I attempt the same operation on a contact list that is NOT mapped to a sharepoint contact library, and it works just fine.

Is there anything special I need to do to prevent this default Contact form from overlaying my customized contact form when connected to a Sharepoint list?

Thank you,

Elvis

Friday, May 06, 2011 1:54 PM