none
SharePoint 2010 - User profile information show different in security group on different site collections

Question

• On one of my SharePoint farm,  user profile information (Title and department) are showing differently on different site collection in security group.

for instance,  I have user John Doe and his current Title and Department in AD are listed as Manager and HR which was updated as he was promoted from Supervisor and was in Support Dept.

User profile syncronization run daily and show completed every day.

On some site collections now,  open a security group that John is a member,  it still shows John with his old Title and Department (Supervisor and Support)

On some other site collections,  open a security group that John is a member, It shows John with his new Title and Department (Manager and HR) which is correct and same with his profile in AD

I have tried to remove John Doe and when I added him back, I tried either using name picker or typed in his user account name,  I still see the same profile info (title and department).  On site that show his old profile info, I see the old profile info and on site with his new profile info, I see the new profile info.

I searched and found some possible causes and solutions but i don't think they are applied to my issue.

• User profile syncronization job not running.  In this case i think it ran as some site do have the update profile information
    • Content databases or Sites are in Read only state.   I checked and they are not in read only and are active.

Seem like those above are applied when all sites showing the old profile infor.  but in my case , some sites are showing correct and some other are not.

Have anyone experience this issue and found a solution or suggest any possible cause, please share.

Thanks in advance.

Swanl

• Edited by swanl98 Friday, March 23, 2012 6:51 AM spelling
    Friday, March 23, 2012 6:48 AM

Answers

All replies

• The problem you are experiencing is becasue the information you are refering to is not being displayed directly from the User Profile.  It is being displayed from the User Table that is stored in each site collection content database.  SharePoint does it this way becasue the same information is displayed in the same way in both SharePoint Foundation and SharePoint Server.  Since Foundation doesn't have user profiles the information needs to come from somewhere else.  So both versions of SharePoint pull the information from the same place.  However, when you have User Profiles there are two timer jobs that synchronize information between user profiles and the user information table in the content database.  The problem is that those jobs only synchronize information for "active" users.  An active user is someone who has "contributed" to a site by doing more than just reading the content.  They have either uploaded a file or created a list item or changed some piece of metadata.  So if the user has only read information in a specific site collection then their updated information in their user profile will not be synced to that particular site collection.  The only way to fix it is to either remove them from the whole site collection and re-add them or have them change somethign on that site collection and then wait a couple hours.

Paul Stork SharePoint Server
    MVP Chief SharePoint Architect: Sharesquared
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

Friday, March 23, 2012 11:35 AM
  • I too have the same issue. For some users, "Title" is appearing different in different site collections. I tried adding the user in a different group in the site collection where the "Title" is appearing incorrect. I am still seeing the same old title. Please let me know if there is any way to fix the issue.

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 10:59 AM
  • Hi,

User profile sync happens between AD --> CA --> SharePoint sites. User profile synchronisation timer jobs will run and import user profile from AD --> CA.

we need to configure the timer job "User Profile to SharePoint Full Synchronization" . by default it will be sync for every week.  try the following steps:

1. Manually run the timer job (or wait for it to run as scheduled), User Profile Service Application – User Profile to SharePoint Full Synchronization:
      1. Open Central Administration
      2. Click Monitoring
      3. Under Timer Job, click Review job definitions
      4. Click User Profile Service Application – User Profile to SharePoint Full Synchronization (click next on the first page to find it)
      5. Click Run Now

After that check the title column in the SharePoint sites.

Refer,

http://blogs.technet.com/b/paulpaa/archive/2009/10/01/user-profile-information-not-updated-on-site-collection-s-people-and-group.aspx

Thanks,

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 11:37 AM
  • That's all true with one overlooked fact.  The User Profile to SharePoint Full Synchronization timer job only syncs information for users who are marked as "Active" in the user information table for the site.  Since they report that the information is showing correctly in some site collections its not that the Sync job isn't configured or running.  Its because some of the users get their permissions becasue they are members of an AD group that has been given permisison to the SharePoint site AND they have never contributed to that particular site.  Until they do they are flagged as Inactive and changes made or synced to their Profiles will not be synchronized.  This is the key point that a lot of people overlook.

MVP Chief SharePoint Architect: Sharesquared
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 12:55 PM
  • I fixed a similar issue by using the method outlined here:

http://sharepointbergen.blogspot.co.uk/2010/01/old-or-wrong-user-display-name-is.html

• Marked as answer by swanl98 Wednesday, March 28, 2012 4:08 PM
    Tuesday, March 27, 2012 2:04 PM
  • Thanks Paul for your solution

I have tried to remove the user,  added him back as contributor and asked him to access the site and made some change and have waited for several hours (> 8).   I just checked it and the old title and department still show for that user.

What if I remove the user from that site collection for let say a day,  would that clear up any thing in the user information table?

sorry for asking all the question..

Swanl

Swanl

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 9:37 PM
  • Thanks Rob

I tried to follow this method and got stuck at step 6.  Can you elaborate it a little more how you do it.

Step 6.

Paste the shortcut into the browser address field and append to it (don't hit enter yet): &Force=True (http://servername/_layouts/userdisp.aspx?Force=True&ID=25)

in my case  

the user profile page (by right click and click short cut)

http://servername/_Layouts/listform.aspx?PageType=4&ListId={8CD8AA93-2D3D-401B-866F-260E0A10FA9E}&ID=175

how to append

I tried this and got an error

http://servername/_Layouts/listform.aspx?PageType=4&ListId={8CD8AA93-2D3D-401B-866F-260E0A10FA9E}?Force=True&ID=175

Thanks

Swanl

Swanl

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 3:49 PM
  • Hi Rob

I got it to work now.  Thanks also to Jess Wong feed back, I figured how to add the append in step 6.

deleted the user and and readded it.  the user information (Title and Department) now show updated and correct.

I am on SP 2010 and this work

Thanks so much for the solution

Swanl

Swanl

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 4:08 PM
  • Vasu

See RobEllis note below.  worked for me (SP 2010)

Swanl

Swanl

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 4:09 PM
  • Hi Swanl,

Thank you for the suggestion. I just tried Rob's solution. It worked for one user.

I have number of such users. Not sure if I have to check manually. Also, the problem would repeat if the user goes inactive again.

• Edited by Vasu K Wednesday, March 28, 2012 10:45 PM
    Wednesday, March 28, 2012 10:27 PM
  • it Doesn't work

if you add user profile from AD after that even if u change it 100 times it won't update.

unless u edit it directly in SQL.

Wss_Content & profile_DB

idk its bug or anything else just when sharepoint get hook of something it won't let it go!

Thursday, June 14, 2012 7:25 PM
  • Not true.  Its all dependent on whether the user is an active user or not.  If they are an active user than changes made in AD that are synced to User Profiles will be copied through the system.  If they aren't marked as active the changes won't be synchronized.  This is not a bug its by design.  You should never edit the SQL tables directly.  It voids any support agreement you have with Microsoft.

MVP Senior Solutions Architect: BlueChip Consulting Group

Thursday, June 14, 2012 8:00 PM
  • i don't think any UID more active than Farm admin or is it!

2 weeks past and UPA & UPS both work fine & i even set timer job to sync hourly it just hook in first data when i was configuring SP in first place

and since there was no email on Farm admin back then i couldn't send alert and place is empty in server/My

after 2 weeks w8 i gave'up on UPS and made program to directly write new AD info to SQL!

not very satisfying with this part of SP so far.

there is other method i saw in articles people suggest to remove acc and re add it that way sync it well if it was normal member perhaps but not the farm admin.

if i'm wrong and with all those above running still show the same what's your suggestion Paul? 

UPA_UPS Oklatest ok sync
    • Edited by Amin_Gh Thursday, June 14, 2012 11:45 PM update info
    Thursday, June 14, 2012 11:15 PM
  • as you can see its not updated not just mail rest of information as well.

not here not in lists not anywhere!

AD_Infono update

Thursday, June 14, 2012 11:47 PM
  • The user information table is handled at the site colleciton level.  If a Farm Admin has never logged into that site collection and uploaded a file or edited a list entry then they will still be marked as inacive.  also, the User Profile Synch service job is only responsible for bringing info from AD to the user Profiles.  There are two other jobs that sync the info from user Profiles to the user info table.  Since SharePoint Foundation doesn't have profiles most things in the user interface pull information from the user info table, not user profiles.

So Yes, a Farm Admin is often an Inactive user when it comes to site collections.

In terms of the screen shot below that shows the email address hasn't synced from AD to User Profiles I can tell you from experience that if the user profile sync service is correctly configured and has an appropriate connection then the email would have synced.  Something is evidently not working correctly in terms of your user profile sync.  Since you can only schedule Incremental syncs have you tried manually running a full sync to reset everything?  You can kick off a manual profile sync from the user profile service in Central Adminstration.

Friday, June 15, 2012 12:36 PM
  • i just sent one Paul,

all users have same issue and they do login fill in forms upload files in document libraries blah blah.....

and if u care and just search issue in any search engine you will see like gazillion people have same issue....

so if it was just me and i didn't read like 50 articles about this issue...

i might be agree with you.

how ever when too many similar issue popup means there is actually flaw in system.

and unfortunately there i didn't see any one on behalf of Microsoft help about this issue no on this  thread.

as matter of suggestion you said yes i use both manual incremental sync & full in CA, both successfully finish their jobs but nothing change.

unless i remove users and re add them.

its not just email address too many field missing

and for exam last week someone promote in company it didn't change in sharepoint and still show him in his previous position.

and some people not even shown in Organization hierarchy...

all i can say its quiet annoying part of sharepoint

Friday, June 15, 2012 5:50 PM
  • I do care, and have been trying to help.  In addition to that all I can tell you is that it works fine on every system I've ever installed and on most of the ones installed by people I've talked to.  Is it tricky to get the user profile sync service configuresd sometimes?  Yes, I agree.  A wish it was easier and more bullet proof.  But it is a bit fragile at this point.  But if your installation isn't working then its becasue something is wrong with the installation and needs to be reconfigured.  Writing something to hack changes directly into the database isn't going to fix anything.  It will inevitably make your installation more fragile and error prone.

If you want some help troubleshooting your user profile synchronization service please start a new thread and provide more details and I will try to help.  But the original question here wasn't about non-synchronizing information.  It was about information that was synched in some site collections and not others.  That is normally a problem with active vs. inactive users.

Saturday, June 16, 2012 11:14 PM
  • I too am having similiar issues.  I've been testing with various scripts and PowerShell commands to get user profile information to synchronize when we do a user rename, and at this point my consensus is that User Profiles in Sharepoint are just garbage and really need to be rethought from the ground up (hopefully they are being reworked for SP 2013).

The connection from Active Directory is working.  When I rename someone in AD, and run a profile sync, it shows up correctly in Central Admin.  It's NOT filtering down to the site collections, which is really important to us because we have web parts that depend on this user profile information being correct.

We had this problem with 2007 and I was really hoping it'd be better with 2010.  In reality, it's worse.  With 2007, we at least had a workaround for the problem.  With 2010, everything I've tried fails, or is flaky at best.  I'm even working with one of our Microsoft partners on this problem, and they're running into the same issues. 

Sorry for venting, but this whole thing is silly.  The data ultimately lives in AD, and that's what Sharepoint should be using.  If Sharepoint has a need for copies of the user profile information in different places, then it should have the ability to pull this information from Central Admin after it's updated.

• Edited by Matt Gudites Wednesday, October 10, 2012 2:00 PM typo
    Wednesday, October 10, 2012 1:55 PM
  • No kiddin, any changes on AD users or their position, even if you sync it 1000 times still show old info!

and yeah i wonder why not directly import data from AD!?

if change and Sharepoint want to keep a backup of old stuff do that but show latest info from AD directly,

well SP 2013 is up, i hope they fixed this issue coz it was very annoying 

Thursday, October 11, 2012 7:26 AM
  • I have same issue. The Advance search is showing wrong Title but when we go to check it under User Profile it shows right title. Under CA->UPS->Manage User Properties there are three properties 1. Department 2. Title Title 3. Job Title. Under Advance Search Result it is showing Job Title which I don't want to show there. I have took it off from property mapping from edit user profile property and it still shows that wrong information on Advance Search Result.

Any Guess what should be done to resolve this issue.Thank you 

Thursday, October 25, 2012 8:33 PM
  • A bit OT - Just have to chime in or maybe that is RANT In as fellow SP 2010 admin. One of our farms serves a global corporate "Internet network" of about a dozen business units (~8000 users) and AD forests of various functional levels. We have two way transitive trusts setup to allow for authentication to SP.  Due to extreme People Picker slowness for some users I've been tasked with attempting to setup UPS with all the trusted domains.. personally I'd rather have a root canal.

So I've known about the user.info table for sometime. The part I'm confused (one of many with SP) is why for some users (hundreds) and some domains the friendly name (lastname, firstname) is not populated in the tp_title column. Instead domain\username is populated just like the tp_login data. This translates into not being able to use friendly name as a searchable attribute in people picker. Trying to get corporate types to use domain\username is like pulling teeth.

I hope MS makes setting up and maintaining UPS easier in some future versions.. off for my root canal. :-)

Friday, December 14, 2012 6:38 PM
  • We're having a similar problem as Fishmann on our end - some users display domain\username, whereas others display a friendly name.  AD info is syncing fine, at least as far as I know. 

The only common pattern I've found is that those with domain\username have an active MySite, whereas those with friendly name do not.  When you click on a users name that appears with domain\username, it brings you to their MySite.  When you click on a user's name that appears as the friendly name, it brings you to a view of their entry in the User Information list for the site collection. 

Is this common behavior with others in this thread?  I'm not enough of an admin to be able to do much more than find this pattern. 

Mike

Tuesday, January 08, 2013 8:23 PM