none
How to Configure Paragraph Numbering with Headings in MS Word?

Вопрос

• I have a document that requires the paragraphs to be numbered. I am very familiar with number, setting up headings with numbering etc.

What I want to do is have the paragraph numbering link up with the heading it is under. The reason I don't want to just use all headings in my document is because I don't know how many headings are required before I have actual body text. See the example:

Example:

Heading 1.0

Paragraph 1.1

Paragraph 1.2

Heading 2.0

Heading 2.1

Paragraph 2.1.1

Paragraph 2.1.2

Heading 2.2

Paragraph 2.2.1

-I may have paragraph text after only one heading or I may have paragraph text after 2 or 3 layers of headings. I want the paragraph text to match the headings but I also would like the headings to contrast from the paragraph text (ie bolded headings)

I am stuck because I can't find out how to link the normal/paragraph text numbering with the heading numbering text and I cannot use headings alone because I do not know how many layers of headings may be required.

4 июля 2012 г. 12:49

Ответы

Все ответы

• Set up heading numbering as usual and then create a couple of "body text styles" each of which is based on the relevant heading. For example, "Level 1 body text" should be based on the Heading 1 style, "Level 2 body text" should be based on Heading 2, etc.

When setting up the numbered headings, follow the instructions at http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/numbering20072010.html (assuming that you are using Word 2007 or 2010).

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    4 июля 2012 г. 13:20
  • Hi,

I will extract the main steps for you:

Home tab-> Paragraph group -> Multilevel list menu

Click Define New List Style

Give your list style a name. (Such as Headings)

On the Format menu, click Numbering.

Then set the settings as following pictures. (I just set two levels in the pictures. You can set as what you need)

For level 2, "Include level number from" refers to the first "1" in the "Enter formatting for number".

Note: As the Heading2 in your example, I think you should set another list style.  

Jaynet Zhang

TechNet Community Support

5 июля 2012 г. 7:28
    Модератор
  • This is basically what I was aiming for with this post:

5 июля 2012 г. 14:41
  • To achieve this I had to follow the article Stefan posted of which Jaynet basically showed the important steps in his post to first setup my numbered headings.  But I also had to create new paragraph styles that matched the heading styles as I show below:

After creating a new paragraph style that matched the heading I then used the formatting section in the second picture to change the font size and unbold the text.

5 июля 2012 г. 14:50
  • Yes, that would be the way to do it. :-)

5 июля 2012 г. 17:19
  • I have found this series of posts very helpful. Two points.

First - note that the body text immediately below Heading 1 must base its style on Heading 2 to achieve the correct numbering. Body text below Heading 2 must use the style from Header 3 and so on. Apologies if that is obvious to everyone - it wasn't to me.

Second, and more importantly: the method described does work in that paragraphs of body text following a Header will be automatically numbered in accordance with the list style scheme to which those Headers are linked. HOWEVER because the body text is based upon a Heading style, if you insert a Table of Contents then it prints out the whole of the numbered body text paragraphs (because it sees them as headings). TOCs are of course a key benefit of using Heading styles. Do you have any good ideas of how to get around this problem?

22 января 2014 г. 22:41
  • HOWEVER because the body text is based upon a Heading style, if you insert a Table of Contents then it prints out the whole of the numbered body text paragraphs (because it sees them as headings). TOCs are of course a key benefit of using Heading styles. Do you have any good ideas of how to get around this problem?

Modify each body text style so that its "Outline level" is set to "Body Text." In the Modify Style dialog box, click Format, and then click Paragraph. You'll find the "Outline level" setting on the Indents and Spacing tab. When you are done, update the table of contents.

• Изменено Stefan BlomMVP 22 января 2014 г. 23:26
    • Предложено в качестве ответа Matt_McGrath 23 января 2014 г. 12:09
    22 января 2014 г. 23:25
  • Many thanks Stefan - after some initial trouble where the option to change outline level was greyed-out, I have done as you suggested and it works perfectly.
    23 января 2014 г. 12:09
  • Many thanks Stefan - after some initial trouble where the option to change outline level was greyed-out, I have done as you suggested and it works perfectly.

You are welcome.

The key is that you can't change the "Outline level" for the built-in headings, but you can do that for styles based on these headings.

23 января 2014 г. 12:24
  • Do you know if it is possible to set the characteristics of the number (by which I mean font, size, colour) to be different from those of the paragraph text itself? This is in order to make the numbers stand out from the body text.

Regards

24 февраля 2014 г. 8:54
  • Do you know if it is possible to set the characteristics of the number (by which I mean font, size, colour) to be different from those of the paragraph text itself? This is in order to make the numbers stand out from the body text.

Click in the first level 1 item of your numbered list (meaning the first Heading 1 paragraph if this is heading numbering). Click Home tab | Multilevel List | Define New Multilevel List to display the multilevel list dialog box. For each level, use the Font button to specify font characteristics for the auto numbers.

24 февраля 2014 г. 19:21