Application Verifier with Unit Test projects

Întrebare

• I find the Application Verfifer a very useful tool.  I also like the Unit Testing support that comes with Visual Studio 2005 so we write our tests using managed C++ which calls our unmanaged C++ code which is built as a static library.

However, we can't find a way of running a Unit Test through the Application Verifier in the VS 2005 IDE.  Is this possible ? We resort to doing it outside of the IDE by using the standalone version 3.3 of Application Verifier to instrument  mstest.exe itself and then run the Unit Tests from the command line i.e.

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC>mstest /testcontainer:"\TestProject1.dll" /noisolation

Is there another way ?

26 februarie 2007 15:24

Răspunsuri

• Application Verifier is a very useful tool, but it is primarily for unmanaged code.  When run against managed code it doesn't actually validate the code under test, but rather validates the CLR itself.  As a result, the version of Application Verifier that shipps in-box in Visual Studio Team Eddition for Developers (testers) does not display the "debug with Application Verifier" menu item for non-native code projects (like the unit test projects).  Using AppVerif.exe (available from the download center) is the only way to enable Applicaiton Verifier for manged code (like the unit test application). 

So, nope.  There isn't any other way.

Regards,
    Alan Ludwig
    Dev Lead
    Windows Debuggers and Verifiers

This post is provided as-is with no warranties, and confers no rights.

20 martie 2007 19:16

Toate mesajele

• Application Verifier is a very useful tool, but it is primarily for unmanaged code.  When run against managed code it doesn't actually validate the code under test, but rather validates the CLR itself.  As a result, the version of Application Verifier that shipps in-box in Visual Studio Team Eddition for Developers (testers) does not display the "debug with Application Verifier" menu item for non-native code projects (like the unit test projects).  Using AppVerif.exe (available from the download center) is the only way to enable Applicaiton Verifier for manged code (like the unit test application). 

So, nope.  There isn't any other way.

Regards,
    Alan Ludwig
    Dev Lead
    Windows Debuggers and Verifiers

This post is provided as-is with no warranties, and confers no rights.

20 martie 2007 19:16
  • Application Verifier can correct the mistake of the codes, it is definitely very useful! I will recommend my colleagues to use it.
    28 martie 2008 07:01
  • Are there any plans to add support for mixed solutions?  Our soultion's exe happens to be manged, however we use a large number of unmanged C++ (legacy) projects within the same solution.  Since the exe is managed, application verifier is not available to us from within the IDE.  It would be very useful to be able to set these unmanged projects to run with application verifier.

13 mai 2008 23:27