none
Infoboxes no longer functional

Domanda

• Infoboxes no longer work with version 7.0.20120307150742.63 (tested latest FF, Chrome, IE9). 

Sample test case:

<!DOCTYPE html>
    <html>
    <head>
    <script src="http://ecn.dev.virtualearth.net/mapcontrol/mapcontrol.ashx?v=7.0"></script>
    <style>
    #mappy
    {
      overflow:hidden;
      position:relative;
      width:1024px;
      height:600px;
    }
    </style>
    </head>
    <body>
    <div id="mappy"></div>
    <script>
    var Maps = Microsoft.Maps;
    var options = {
          center: new Maps.Location(42.996981,-81.254196),
          zoom:13
        },
        map = new Microsoft.Maps.Map(document.getElementById('mappy'), options),
        infobox = new Maps.Infobox(new Microsoft.Maps.Location(42.996981,-81.254196), {
          visible: true,
          width:100,
          height:75,
          title:'My title'
        });

map.entities.push(infobox);
    </script>
    </body>
    </html>

Expected behaviour: an infobox with title "My title" is drawn on the map.

Actual behaviour: no infobox appears anywhere on the map.

venerdì 9 marzo 2012 16:58

Risposte

• Thank you for the feedback. We are sorry for any inconvenience that may have been caused by any changes in Infobox behavior on some browsers with the latest v7 update. This issue was reported and treated as a live site incident with the highest priority.  A fix was rolled out later that day to correct the Infobox behavior.  We do not recommend hardcoding your Bing Maps version to a specific JS version.  This is not supported, which is why you saw 404s after we rolled out the fix for the Infoboxes to v7.  The Bing Maps APIs are a dynamic API that are updated often with performance improvements, new browser support, and new features. We appreciate your feedback on release communication and processes and are looking at ways to improve this in the future.

Thanks,

Keith Kinnan

Bing Maps Development

martedì 13 marzo 2012 17:03

Tutte le risposte

• Thanks for reporting the issues on the Infobox. We are working on an update to fix this ASAP.

Thanks,

Keith Kinnan, Bing Maps

venerdì 9 marzo 2012 19:15
  • This issue should be resolved now.

Thanks,
    Keith Kinnan, Bing Maps

sabato 10 marzo 2012 09:15
  • WHY does this have to happen on a Friday. The same timing occurred with the last breaking update.

Once again we had to roll out a hardcoded bing maps version reference to "fix" the issue - once again before the end-of-day Friday - and now on the weekend there are (of course!) client errors due to that version now returning 404s. CRIPES can you PLEASE leave at least TWO older versions available on the servers for the inevitable breakage that happens when you roll out these so-called "backwards compatible" updates? At least until the Monday following an update? Please.

Also, how can such a simple base case such as this one break in a backwards compat update? Again, why isn't there a development window where we can test an impending update against our apps to a) make sure our apps aren't completely busted like this one did and b) give you FREE testing and quality assurance?

domenica 11 marzo 2012 02:22
  • If someone else at my company, 3M, asked me if I would recommend Bing Maps, I couldn't in good conscience do so. They have shown a pattern of rolling out code that breaks production web sites. They have shown a pattern where they do not communicate with their developers. They have shown a pattern where they make changes without requesting feedback from their developers. During Friday's drama my manager asked me if we would have these problems with Google? I said I didn't know, but certainly will find out.

Sasha dos Santos Software Engineer 3M Electronic Monitoring http://www.3M.com/electronicmonitoring

lunedì 12 marzo 2012 13:31
  • Thank you for the feedback. We are sorry for any inconvenience that may have been caused by any changes in Infobox behavior on some browsers with the latest v7 update. This issue was reported and treated as a live site incident with the highest priority.  A fix was rolled out later that day to correct the Infobox behavior.  We do not recommend hardcoding your Bing Maps version to a specific JS version.  This is not supported, which is why you saw 404s after we rolled out the fix for the Infoboxes to v7.  The Bing Maps APIs are a dynamic API that are updated often with performance improvements, new browser support, and new features. We appreciate your feedback on release communication and processes and are looking at ways to improve this in the future.

Thanks,

Keith Kinnan

Bing Maps Development

martedì 13 marzo 2012 17:03