Windows Live Messenger has stopped working

Question

• When I start Windows Live Messenger, it just pops up with the 'Windows Live Messenger has stopped working' and windows is trying to find a solution.

I run windows 7 on Sony VAIO.

Thanks for any help!!

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 7:12 PM

All replies

• I have exactly the same problem and error message.  I am running windows 7, Sony laptop VAIO i3 (a few months old), and use Kaspersky Internet Security . This problem started for me on July 29/10 and is still not fixed.

I note that there was an update on July 27/10 which included MSN live messenger.

I have loaded no new programs lately nor downloaded anything.

I reloaded live messenger with no change.

My desktop running XP is having no problems with the same version of live messenger.

Need the same help!!

Saturday, July 31, 2010 10:56 PM
  • Hi CRRS, i had same problem as you and have found following solution:

The problem comes from the latest updates of MSN which create some conflicts of registry. I have resolved my problem by doing following: 

1- click RUN from START menu and type REGEDIT:

2- follow path: HKEY_CURRENT_USER/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT/MSNMessenger/PerPassportSettings.

3- under PerPassportSettings, you should find 2 folders named with a series of numbers. Delete both folders including their sub-files... and restart MSN. It worked for me.

Hopefully it will work for you.

Have a nice day!

• Proposed as answer by TheSlash Sunday, September 19, 2010 1:30 PM
    Tuesday, August 03, 2010 4:28 PM
  • Hi VAIOuser1, i had same problem as you and have found following solution:

The problem comes from the latest updates of MSN which create some conflicts of registry. I have resolved my problem by doing following: 

1- click RUN from START menu and type REGEDIT:

2- follow path: HKEY_CURRENT_USER/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT/MSNMessenger/PerPassportSettings.

3- under PerPassportSettings, you should find 2 folders named with a series of numbers. Delete both folders including their sub-files... and restart MSN. It worked for me.

Hopefully it will work for you.

Have a nice day!

Tuesday, August 03, 2010 4:29 PM
  • Thank you CRRS! Your instructions fixed my problem.
    Tuesday, August 03, 2010 6:17 PM
  • Hey Guys,

Just followed the suggestions above and worked!! I'd been tryin to fix this problem for a while now and glad I ran into this suggestion!!

Thank you! :o)

Oh, almost forgot... I had 4 folders rather then 2, Just figured I'd mention that incase someone else had the same deal when they started to explore :o)

Tuesday, August 03, 2010 9:35 PM
  • Thanks for the fix. The only problem now is when you close messenger and start it again the same problem occurs. It recreates the folder ... so i have to go into regedit and delete the folder again. BTW i only have the one folder. Thanks for the fix so far..i at least can get access to messenger , altho it's a pain in the ____ to delete that folder every time. Running windows 7 btw.
    Tuesday, August 03, 2010 9:46 PM
  • I was also having the same problem for 2 weeks now, I went into regedit and I had 9 subfolder, deleted them now it works.Thanks.
    Wednesday, August 04, 2010 1:22 AM
  • Solved my problems too. 
    Wednesday, August 04, 2010 3:42 PM
  • Thanks so much, VAIO user-2!! I've been looking around for a solution to this problem, and your method finally worked. Thanks again.
    Saturday, August 07, 2010 2:00 AM
  • You are awesome.  This fixed my problem!  My registry only had 1 folder.
    Saturday, August 07, 2010 6:02 PM
  • VAIO user-2 saved my day!

Don't know how you figured it out, but i deleted my 20-30 folders (most of the were empty) and it all works again. Kudo's to you!

Marcel

Sunday, August 08, 2010 6:09 PM
  • Hey there, Eyezofblue22 here once again.... well as it seems the fix does work... i found it to works only temporarily. I've noticed after a few days...it would stop working again and also found my picture and settings wold reset EVERYtime I signed in on WLM. Im not sure if anyone else has been dealin with this aswell, but if so... pls let me know and if there is yet another solution to the problem. 

Thx :O)

Sunday, August 08, 2010 9:20 PM
  • thanks the solution worked!

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 1:33 AM
  • I have the same issues, only the fix lasts a few hours at best. any settings that can disable this folder from recreating?

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 5:48 PM
  • wow!! how do people know this stuff. it now works on my windows 7. thanks

Thursday, August 19, 2010 1:36 PM
  • how do I click RUN from start menu?  mine doesnt have that...

Saturday, August 21, 2010 6:53 PM
  • never mind!  got it thanks, you are a GENIUS!!!!
    Saturday, August 21, 2010 6:56 PM
  • i had six..
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 9:07 PM
  • Thank you, I have three folders and one named with just the number "0".  Should I delete the folder with 0 as well?

(Edit: given that deleting the three other folders didn't work)

Sunday, August 29, 2010 11:49 PM
  • Thank you so much VAIO I've been experiencing this problem forever!

I'm so dissapointed in Windows right now.

I think it's beyond inappropriate that users have need to google around and then delete odds and ends that they don't even understand in their software, in order to simply run Messenger which is as basic as it gets!

When you've reached Windows SEVEN and it can't even deal with running something as simple as Windows Messenger it makes me want to just get a MAC :-(

Monday, August 30, 2010 3:23 PM
  • Thanks dude that worked.
    Thursday, September 02, 2010 1:17 AM
  • I deleted the two number folders. Msn started up ok, logged in, but then showed my contact list as being empty. I went to change my profile picture and then it crashed again. This solution isn´t working for me.. anyone else have had this and fixed it?
    Saturday, September 04, 2010 1:50 AM
  • Hi everyone,

I'm having the same problem with msn messenger for the past few weeks; I'm running it on Vista though, but here's the catch: It was working fine until it simply stopped loading when I clicked on it (I don't have it set to run automatically). The icon appears on the bottom, right side, but I can't open it or even right-click on it to close it.

I'm the administrator, and have about 4 other users set up on my computer; it was running fine, at first, for SELECTED users (Not sure why for some would work and for some would not), then after unistalling and reinstalling it several times, it began to work for ALL OTHER users BUT for me! I'm baffled and ran out of ideas to get it to run under my user name... Has anyone else experienced the same? Any ideas? Would the solutions given work for Vista?

I'm confused as how I'm running MSN Messenger that should be fully integrated and compatible with ANY Windows since they're both from Microsoft, and this is happening!

Thanks in advance!

Saturday, September 04, 2010 3:17 PM
  • Man, i've followed all your instructions to a Tee. But nothin's workin'. I'm using windows live beta and it keeps hittin' me with

" the service is temporary unavailable " it's gettin' really really annoying ><

Tuesday, September 07, 2010 3:13 PM
  • same question - how do i click run from start menu?

Thursday, September 09, 2010 5:20 AM
  • Just go into the start menu and click on Windows Live Messenger, or click on the shortcut icon on your desktop if you have it. After deleting the folders in regedit, I have to restart my computer before attempting to run Messenger. Once so far it has "stopped working", so I went back into regedit and re-deleted the folders. It works for me for now. Until we find a permanent solution (or Microsoft does), I suppose these temporary solutions will have to do.
    Thursday, September 09, 2010 11:17 PM
  • Hi all;

I am also having the same problem I have a viao vnw240d windows live will not work on my (administrator) account but i have 4 other accounts on this laptop they all work with the live messenger except for the cam that doesnt work at all with live windows live. I am going to try this solution that seems to have worked for so many here but i have a question. couldn't this be a virus or a reset in the registry that is being missed. also i am going to try to open run from the accounts that work and compare files.

Also is there any truth that  microsoft is aware of  these problems  and is working on a solution

Thanks for any other solutions that may arise

Saturday, September 18, 2010 5:28 AM
  • VAIO User-2's instructions worked for me, at least so far. I had 15 folders with series of numbers... not sure what that means... but deleted all of them, restarted my laptop, and it's working. Thanks!

Saturday, September 18, 2010 3:09 PM
  • Hi, I am running Win 7 on Dell XPS9000, I7 and this solution worked for me. Thank you.
    Sunday, September 19, 2010 1:31 PM
  • I have followed the advice to delete the registry directories, but the problem just reoccurs each time I run messenger.  This is unworkable.  Has anyone found a final solution to avoid this problem?

Tuesday, October 12, 2010 9:22 PM
  • you can't find the RUN option on W7 or Vista start menu but to get that hit (windows key+R) and it will appear left down then follow the steps :)
    Monday, November 08, 2010 11:46 PM
  • i already doing what you tell me all over again but nothing change. it had same problem again. I am sick with microsoft thing. Try to find a solution what windows suggested but nothing happen. I hope this will fix soon. 
    Thursday, November 11, 2010 10:40 PM
  • This worked for me tooo Thankssss
    Sunday, November 28, 2010 7:19 PM