none
How do you get Word 2010 to automatically copy text from another program and paste into fields (or whatever is necessary) of the current open document?

Question

• A portion of my job is to make letters which are standard in content, except for certain fileds that are edited for each letter. I want Word to capture data from certain screens from this other program, similar to a database-type program, and paste them into the appropriate fields in the letter document.

Maybe a macro is needed, maybe not. If it involves VB, I'm afraid I'm not experienced in programming.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for reading,

Jason.

• Edited by jaynlola Saturday, March 10, 2012 12:20 AM
    Saturday, March 10, 2012 12:19 AM

All replies

• Hi Jason,

Unless there's a reason for using screens, per se, rather than just referring to the data from which the screens source their display, you may be able to get what you're after via a mailmerge or, perhaphs, OLE linking. However, you haven't given enough information for me to be able to say whether either of those approaches might be viable. If you want to capture data from input screens in another program, the only way of doing that (if it's even possible with the application concerned) is via code.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Saturday, March 10, 2012 2:59 AM
  •  

Thank you!

The program I am using does use macros, ebm's. And, I can use that coding method to create the needed macro to copy and paste text into the appropriate fields. But, that need is quickly dissipating.

I do have another question regarding only Word 2010:

Can I input copied text into the form fields on one sheet, and have it automatically update in another Word document with the exact same setup and fields?

I looked into using Quick Parts' 'Ask' function, but it doesn't apply to non-current docs.

Thanks,

Jason. 

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 5:28 PM
  • Can I input copied text into the form fields on one sheet, and have it automatically update in another Word document with the exact same setup and fields?

Hi Jason,

Not without using macros.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 9:43 PM