none
MSCAL.OCX Microsoft Calendar Control Conversion To MSCOMCT2.OCX?

Question

• Hello:
    I am currently using the MSCAL.OCX calendar control Version 11 in Excel 2007 forms.  I maintain quite a few applications that use this control and it was discontinued by Microsoft in Excel 2010.  I was able to install the old calendar control in Windows 7 (both 32 bit and 64 bit) as shown below, but will it be supported in future releases?  Should I consider changing all the controls to the new date-picker control, mscomct2.ocx.  It will require revamping many forms and the VBA behind the "Change" event handler.  I could not locate a "for sure" answer from Microsoft's Knowledge Base.

Recommendations?

Here is my "work around" until I upgrade, if necessary, to mscomct2.ocx:

To use the old MSCAL.OCX control, it must be registered to Windows 7.  Note that it will only work in 32-bit Versions of Office.

FOR 64-BIT WINDOWS 7, HERE'S HOW:

(1) First, you must perform this on EVERY computer that has 2010
    (2) Obtain MSCAL.OCX and the Help file.  It's easy to find on the Web.
    (3) Copy both files to the following directory:  C:\Windows\SysWoW64
    (4) Click the Windows 7 Start Button and in the Search area, type "command"
    (5) The search will bring up a number of items, including "Command Prompt" at the top
    (6) Right click the "Command Prompt" banner, and select "Run as Administrator"
    (7) At the command prompt, enter:  %systemroot%\SysWoW64\regsvr32.exe mscal.ocx
    (8) This should successfully register your legacy MSCAL.OCX.
    (9) This worked for me on a Vanilla install of 64-Bit Windows 7 and Excel 2010

FOR 32 BIT WINDOWS 7, HERE'S HOW:

(1) First, you must perform this on EVERY computer that has 2010
    (2) Obtain MSCAL.OCX and the Help file.  It's easy to find on the Web.
    (3) Copy both files to the following directory:  C:\Windows\System32
    (4) Click the Windows 7 Start Button and in the Search area, type "command"
    (5) The search will bring up a number of items, including "Command Prompt" at the top
    (6) Right click the "Command Prompt" banner, and select "Run as Administrator"
    (7) At the command prompt, enter:  %systemroot%\System32\regsvr32.exe mscal.ocx
    (8) This should successfully register your legacy MSCAL.OCX.

Rich Locus Logicwurks, LLC www.logicwurks.com
    • Edited by RichLocus Friday, June 29, 2012 3:22 AM
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 7:38 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi RichLocus,

It seems that your work around is good, thank you for sharing with us. And please take a look at this similar thread:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprogeneral/thread/1fd6b78a-b1b3-4190-aceb-91575cd7092a

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Bruce Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by RichLocus Wednesday, March 02, 2011 7:23 AM
    Friday, February 25, 2011 7:55 AM
  • Hi RichLocus

Just a question, this is to make your VBA running on Office 2010 32bit on a windows 7 32 or 64bit, right?

The reason I am asking is because my VBA code does also make use of these two ocx, and sooner or later, this VBA code will have to run on the 64bit version of Office.

Friday, February 25, 2011 8:59 AM
  • Hello:

Yes, the process I showed above will allow the old calendar control to run on Windows 7.  For the 32-bit version, use the 32-bit instructions.  For the 64-bit version of Windows 7, you will have to follow the specific instructions for the 64-bit version.  But yes... the old calendar control runs fine on Windows 7, Excel 2010 as long as you follow the instructions.

Thanks,

Rich Locus

Monday, February 28, 2011 5:05 PM
  • Thanks, Bruce:

Apparently the same process needs to be applied to the new date-picker 32-bit version mscomct2.ocx unless there is a 64-bit version of the date-picker out there.

Thanks,

Rich

• Proposed as answer by Bruce Song Tuesday, March 01, 2011 8:25 AM
    • Marked as answer by Bruce Song Wednesday, March 02, 2011 7:49 AM
    Monday, February 28, 2011 5:24 PM
  • Hi All,

Whilst the instructions may well work to register and get working MSCAL.OCX for Windows 7 64 bit version, this assumes that you are using Office 32 bit version on that OS.

This DOES NOT work if you use Office 64 Bit on Windows 64 bit. I would love to find a solution for this, other than to uninstall all version of Office 64 bit on all machines and install Office 32 bit.

Although you can register MSCAL.OCX in the Windows 7 64 bit platform, and you can even go into Excel 2010 64 bit and add a reference to "Microsoft Calendar Control 11.0" (MSCAL.OCX), the program will still return the error "Could not load an object because it is not available on this machine."

Chris
    • Edited by Swinster Monday, November 07, 2011 4:21 PM
    • Proposed as answer by GaryArnold Saturday, December 17, 2011 1:51 AM
    Monday, November 07, 2011 4:13 PM
  • Swinster:

I use the 32 bit version, so if you determine an answer for the 64-bit Office, I will mark it as an answer.

Thanks!

Rich Locus, Logicwurks, LLC

http://www.logicwurks.com

Monday, November 07, 2011 7:55 PM
  • I have a VBA app that was using MSCAL.ocx.  I was not able to find a good solution for my 64 bit clients so I made my own VBA calendar control as a VBA form.

I'll post it on my web site at ssitools.com under Software/Free Downloads

Saturday, December 17, 2011 2:06 AM
  • Thanks, Gary!

Saturday, December 17, 2011 6:54 PM
  • Hi,

We developed this class to solve the problem

please look here:

https://sites.google.com/site/e90e50/calendar-control-class

best regards

r

• Marked as answer by RichLocus Monday, February 13, 2012 12:49 AM
    Saturday, December 24, 2011 12:21 AM
  • r_r_r:

Thanks for your contribution.

Regards,

Saturday, December 24, 2011 12:29 AM
  • Hi,

Wedeveloped this classto solvethe problem

please look here:

https://sites.google.com/site/e90e50/calendar-control-class

best regards

r

Saludos,

Gracias por la información,  es bastante útil.

Gabriel

Colombia - Sur America

Friday, February 10, 2012 3:21 AM
  • Hello tcom:

Unfortunately, both the Date Picker and the Calendar Control will not work on Office 2010 64-bit... only on the 32-bit versions.  They will run on a 64 bit Windows platform, but still only using the 32-bit version of Office.  See this link:

Date Picker Only Works in Office 32-bit Versions

Regards,

Friday, June 29, 2012 3:19 AM
  • Distribution of and registration of the deprecated mscal.ocx is not an option in this environment.

Installation of any of the really cool third party replacements is also not an option.

The solution has to be Microsoft oriented.

I’ve read in this and other threads about “MSCOMCT2.ocx”

Apparently, the software distribution administrator has opted not to include this ActiveX library in the imaged installations.

Probably doesn’t know anything about the deprecation of mscal.ocx or its replacement.

I’m going to have to make a pitch for it to be added.

For purposes of investigation, I was able to copy this library from my personal laptop to a folder on my work PC and manually direct Excel to the location and it works just fine without necessarily having to be registered, but yes, I fully understand the reasons for a default location of “sysWOW(x64)” and registering the library as an administrator.

None the less, for my purposes, right now, manually referencing the location of the file is quite sufficient.

MSCOMCT2.ocs shows up in references as “Microsoft Windows Common Controls-2 6.0 (SP6)”

Not to be confused with  “MSCOMCTL.ocx:

Which shows up in references as “Microsoft Windows Common Controls 6.0 (SP6)”

First Question:

From the list of installation components, does anybody know specifically which installation component I need to tell the administrator to include so the mscomct2.ocx file will be installed?

Next:

Does anybody know if the code set and methods are directly applicable or are the developers going to modify their code?

Wednesday, April 03, 2013 2:40 PM
  • I did some digging in my laptop's installation of Office Professional 2010.

Programs and Features > Office Professional 2010 > Change

This opens the Installation Options dialog box for Orrice Pro 2010.

Inside there is "Office Tools" > "Actions Plugins"

Under "Actions Plugins" there is:

Addresses and Places Actions Plugin

Bibliographic Information Actions Plugin

Date Actions Plugin

Instant Messaging Contact Actions Plugin

Measurement Converter Actions Plugin

Name Actions Plugin

Stocks & Funds Actions Plugin

So, my additonal questions are:

1. Are these "Actions Plugin" referring to object libraries?

2. If so, is the "Date Actions Plugin" referring to "mscomct2.ocx"?

3. Would anybody happen to know which other library files are refered to by the other "Actions Plugins"?

Wednesday, April 03, 2013 3:30 PM
  • Ok, so now I have done some more digging and am even more confused vis a vis what I have read above.

On my personal laptop (administrator permissions), I have installed two seperate partitions.

Partition 0 = Windows 7 Ulitmate(x86) with Office Professional 2010 (x86)

Partition 1 = Windows 7 Ulitmate(x64) with Office Professional 2010 (x64)

Both installations are full (all options selected for "Run from this computer")

I did a full search for the file "mscomct2.ocx" on all drives in the computer and the ONLY place it is installed is on the x64 partition in the \Windows\sysWOW(x64)\ directory.

It is NOT on the x86 partition at all (and this is AFTER I did a full and complete installation of Office).

I read above that the "mscomct2.ocx" library will ONLY work for x86 Office 2010, but here I have it installed on my x64 version and it DOES appear to work.  It was not visible in the references by default, but I manually inserted it.  I have not actually written any code with it, but I can see it enabled and can view all the contents of the library in the Object Browser.

So, what gives here?  Will  this work in x64 Office or not?

Next, what's the deal with my x86 installation of Office?

Again, acording to the information above, mscomct2.ocx will ONLY work in x86 Office and yet, on my full installation of Office Pro 2010, in x86, it does not exist.

Aditionally, I did open the references and manually insert the library from the \sysWOW(x64)\ of the x64 installation and here again, it appears to install and I can view its methods in the Object Browser.

So, getting to the heart of the matter, in the corporate work environment with which I have to provide solutions, the final migration will be on Windows 7 (x64) with Office Professional Plus 2010 (x86).

That environment seems to more closely align with the scenarios described above, but still, I need to be able to tell the Software Administrator specifically, which options need to be selected for this library (mscomct2.ocx) to be added to the distributed images.

Wednesday, April 03, 2013 4:38 PM