none
Excel 2010 + COM add-in + Windows 7 preview pane = issue?

Question

• Hello Excel Team,

The issue we happened to run into relates to COM add-ins in Excel 2010; both 32-bit and 64-bit Excel 2010 are affected. We think the issue is in Excel because Word and PowerPoint behave correctly in the same scenario (see below). The test project (VSTO 2010) is available at http://www.add-in-express.com/files/support/Excel2010VSTOAddIn.zip. The steps to reporduce the issue are as follows:

• Build the project
    • Open a folder with an Excel workbook in Windows 7 Explorer
    • Select the Excel workbook and click the "Show the preview pane" button on the Windows Explorer toolbar to display the preview pane
    • Double-click the Excel workbook, see the Excel workbook opened
    • Switch to Windows Explorer and close the preview pane (or deselect the Excel workbook)
    • Switch to Excel 2010 and close it
    • The ThisAddIn_Shutdown method is called, the add-in is unloaded but Excel 2010 is still running
    • Double-click the Excel workbook again, the Excel application opens, the ThisAddIn_Startup method is not called, the add-in is not loaded.

Regards from Belarus (GMT + 2),
    Andrei Smolin
    Add-in Express Team Leader
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 11:09 AM

Answers

• Thank you Mike,

It's easier to live knowing someone else sees the things in the same light :)

Here's how I understand the issue: when you show an Excel workbook in the Preview Pane of Windows Explorer, this starts an Excel 2010 process and in this way the add-in gets loaded. If at this moment you double-click any workbook, this just toggles the visibility of the Excel process. When you close Excel, the Excel process becomes invisible but the add-in gets unloaded (Word and PowerPoints don't unload add-ins at this moment); opening another workbook brings the Excel process to life ... without the add-in.

Just between us: I'd like to get a thank you from the Excel team :)

Andrei Smolin
    • Marked as answer by Bruce Song Monday, March 28, 2011 10:09 AM
    Monday, March 21, 2011 5:01 PM

All replies

• Hi ,

I followed your steps and reproduced the issue. It seems that sometimes it will encounter the problem, sometimes it is ok. I think the reason is that through using preview pane, the Add-In is automatically loaded and it can't be released.

Regards,

Be happy.
    Monday, March 21, 2011 10:34 AM
  • Thank you Mike,

It's easier to live knowing someone else sees the things in the same light :)

Here's how I understand the issue: when you show an Excel workbook in the Preview Pane of Windows Explorer, this starts an Excel 2010 process and in this way the add-in gets loaded. If at this moment you double-click any workbook, this just toggles the visibility of the Excel process. When you close Excel, the Excel process becomes invisible but the add-in gets unloaded (Word and PowerPoints don't unload add-ins at this moment); opening another workbook brings the Excel process to life ... without the add-in.

Just between us: I'd like to get a thank you from the Excel team :)

Andrei Smolin
    • Marked as answer by Bruce Song Monday, March 28, 2011 10:09 AM
    Monday, March 21, 2011 5:01 PM
  • Hi Andrei,

Thank you for posting and I can reproduce the problem. I have helped you submitt this and it could be fixed in the next version. Appreciate your discovering.

Best Regards,

Bruce Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, March 28, 2011 10:09 AM
  • Thank you, Bruce!

Andrei Smolin
    Monday, March 28, 2011 11:47 AM
  • Hi, This bug also happens with Excel 2007.

Any chance it will be fixed in a KB or hotfix?

Thank you

Slava

www.secureislands.com

Monday, March 28, 2011 12:28 PM
  • A response would be nice!
    Sunday, June 05, 2011 12:07 PM
  • You can have a look at this KB article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2008310

So you see, it is by design that remaining Office process in task manager even after closed Office UI and Windows explorer. Windows keep the process open to speed up the preview processor.

Apple
    Tuesday, August 02, 2011 4:18 AM
  • Hello,

That KB article doesn't apply. The problem is: add-ins don't start when you start Excel after the manipulations described in the original message.

Andrei Smolin
    Tuesday, August 02, 2011 9:06 AM
  • Hello,

That KB article doesn't apply. The problem is: add-ins don't start when you start Excel after the manipulations described in the original message.

Andrei Smolin

Hi Andrei,

I also meet this issue. Is there a way to start office add-in(s) with the manipulations described in the original message?

Thanks very much!

Monday, February 27, 2012 8:50 AM
  • Is there a way to start office add-in(s) with the manipulations described in the original message?

Hello,

I don't know. Doing this from within the add-in is impossible. Creating a standalone application to handle this scenario seems to produce extra difficulties; I'm not sure if they can be solved. 

Regards from Belarus (GMT + 3),

Andrei Smolin

Please mark answers and useful posts to help other developers use the forums efficiently.

Monday, February 27, 2012 9:15 AM
  • Thanks Andrei.

Hmmm, I understand it's impossible to do it in add-in. So seems there is no way to enable the plug-in(s) on the Office App side either. That will be a problem to our customers.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 7:54 AM