none
How do you view the contents of a .xlam file

Question

• How do you view the contents of a .xlam file.  Is the a way to view the code and write the code for an excel addin file.
    Tuesday, June 07, 2011 10:38 AM

Answers

• OK, so you're sure that it is enabled in Excel (Excel button ->Excel Option ->Add-ins -> Manage Excel Add-ins (Go), Ephemers is checked)

If the above is correct and you don't see it in the VBE Project Explorer, I'm at a loss.

If it is there and when you click on it and explore it you can't open it, it is probably because it is password protected.

Other than that, I'm at a loss.

Sorry,

HTH at least a little,

Eric

Tuesday, June 07, 2011 11:56 AM

All replies

• Activate the Visual Basic Editor, either through alt+F11 or enabling the Developer tab in 2007/2010 and selecting the Visual Basic icon, or right clicking on a worksheet tab and selecting "View Code".

HTH,

Eric

Tuesday, June 07, 2011 11:00 AM
  • Yes there is code in the Module and "Sheet1".  These reference Functions that are not in the Modules and "Sheet1".  They are from an Add-In that comes with the xls file.  They work in conjunction with the xlam file.  I just want to view the code in the Add-In that can not be seen by "View Code".  I just want to know how to unbuild a dll library.
    Tuesday, June 07, 2011 11:26 AM
  • Are you trying to see the functions in Solver, or the Analysis packs?  They are password protected, but if you do a Google search you can find the password.  Ron de Bruin's site also has some info on them, if I remember correctly.  It doesn't help much to look in them...

If you can't see the xlam in the VB Editor (make sure that the Project Explorer is open, Ctrl+R), then you'll need to open the xlam file to see it in the Project Explorer.

HTH,

Eric

Tuesday, June 07, 2011 11:37 AM
  • The VBAProject(Ephemers.xlam) is able to be viewed.  I inserted it from the Add-In Editor from the Developers Tab.  It does not have a Password.  How do you go about opening it?
    Tuesday, June 07, 2011 11:47 AM
  • OK, so you're sure that it is enabled in Excel (Excel button ->Excel Option ->Add-ins -> Manage Excel Add-ins (Go), Ephemers is checked)

If the above is correct and you don't see it in the VBE Project Explorer, I'm at a loss.

If it is there and when you click on it and explore it you can't open it, it is probably because it is password protected.

Other than that, I'm at a loss.

Sorry,

HTH at least a little,

Eric

Tuesday, June 07, 2011 11:56 AM