none
Can you use a workflow to email a form in the same format as email alerts?

Question

• Hello,

Using the Send an email action in a SP Designer workflow, is it possible to instruct SP to email a list form in its entirety (like an email alert does)?

I don't want to have to edit the email and Add or Change Lookup each individual field manually as this will take forever. I want to be able to create some conditions in SP Designer and if those conditions are met, PING, it emails the whole form to whoever I've chosen.

The reason I want to use a workflow instead of the alert function is because of the additional flexibility with conditions etc.

Your help will be much appreciated.

Thank you,
    Simon

• Edited by Simon.Hart Wednesday, March 14, 2012 12:15 PM
    Wednesday, March 14, 2012 12:14 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Simon ,

I understand that you want to send email which has the format of an alert .But the OOTB send email action will not contains the
    information about the current item .You need to manually add the information using lookups .Or you can define your own send email action .

For more information ,please refer to this site:

Send an email from the custom action i made in the actions  menu: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointdevelopment/thread/cee89a47-af36-4d55-83a4-fcf5534fb077/  

Custom Email activity for SharePoint Designer 2010: http://patrickboom.wordpress.com/2011/08/09/custom-email-activity-for-sharepoint-designer-2010/

Thanks

Entan Ming

TechNet Community Support

Friday, March 16, 2012 10:13 AM
  • Hi Entan,

Thank you for your response.

Custom actions seemed too advanced for my requirements so I ended up using the email alert function as it has a very useful feature I had not seen before.

You create a unique view of your list especially for this purpose, using strict filters to show the data you want. You then use the "Send me an alert when: -> Someone changes an item that appears in the following view:" and select the view you just created.

For example, Bob in accounts fills out the form and selects "Accounts" and "Management" from two dropdown fields. When he saves the form, it shows up in my unique view because of the filters I set up. The alert is then triggered because something in the view has changed and it emails that form to the accounts management team.

With multiple views and alerts, this can be done across many teams or departments.

A handy solution for less advanced users :)

Thank you,
    Simon

Thursday, March 22, 2012 10:52 AM