none
create hyperlink to go back to the table of contents in word 2010

Question

• Have a large size word .docx document. the table of contents itself is 60 pages long and the document is 1500 pages. created the link from the table for each of the items (created automatically in Word). which would be the simplest way to go back from each of the items to its location in the table of contents (where we started from when calling the respective item)

Friday, September 13, 2013 2:22 AM

Answers

• Simplest, from my POV, would be to use the built-in Navigation Pane instead of your TOC?

Anything else can be a bit tricky, especially if this document is still being edited. Every update of the TOC is going to delete any "marker" you put in it to use as a jump-back point. Before we can make any suggtions we'd need to know more about how people are using this document...

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Friday, September 13, 2013 1:14 PM
  • If we're talking about exporting to PDF and retaining hyperlinks, the TOC etc then you're asking in the wrong place. This forum specializes in manipulating Word. Most regulars here don't have experience in what kind of result which content gives you when saving as PDF. I suggest you ask in the "Communities" how a Table of Contents, hyperlinks and Navigation works.

I do know, for a fact, that the Adobe Reader can display Navigation information, same as Word. But I don't know how/if you can export Word to get that result.

One thing is certain: No macros will work once the file has been exported to PDF and there's no way to make the navigation dynamic (go back to where you started from).

Monday, September 30, 2013 7:07 PM

All replies

• Simplest, from my POV, would be to use the built-in Navigation Pane instead of your TOC?

Anything else can be a bit tricky, especially if this document is still being edited. Every update of the TOC is going to delete any "marker" you put in it to use as a jump-back point. Before we can make any suggtions we'd need to know more about how people are using this document...

Friday, September 13, 2013 1:14 PM
  • the document will probably will be converted to pdf . is the navigation pane valid after pdf exporting ? am newbie in document editing.
    Friday, September 13, 2013 3:47 PM
  • If we're talking about exporting to PDF and retaining hyperlinks, the TOC etc then you're asking in the wrong place. This forum specializes in manipulating Word. Most regulars here don't have experience in what kind of result which content gives you when saving as PDF. I suggest you ask in the "Communities" how a Table of Contents, hyperlinks and Navigation works.

I do know, for a fact, that the Adobe Reader can display Navigation information, same as Word. But I don't know how/if you can export Word to get that result.

One thing is certain: No macros will work once the file has been exported to PDF and there's no way to make the navigation dynamic (go back to where you started from).

Monday, September 30, 2013 7:07 PM
  • Just create a bookmark at the spot you want to return to and create hyperlinks to these bookmarks.

Cheers,

Gerjan

ARGOS-productions

Tuesday, December 03, 2013 5:24 PM