none
Update Managed Metadata field in SharePoint 2013 Designer Workflow for O365

Question

• Hi Guys,

I need to update the managed metadata field in SharePoint Custom List using Workflow but its not working. I have also tried to use the HTTP WebService POST Operation but no luck.

Am doing this for a SharePoint Online (O365) Site.

Has anyone worked on something similar and was able to get it running ?

I saw a post to create a custom Workflow Activity but I don't have a choice to go with the custom code option.

http://patrickboom.wordpress.com/2013/07/23/workflow-activity-set-managed-metadata-column/

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Nutan

Tuesday, March 18, 2014 11:00 AM

All replies

• Hi Nutan,

According to your description, my understanding is that you want to update Managed Metadata field with SharePoint 2013 Designer for SharePoint Online.

As far as I know, there is not an OOB action to achieve your requirement with SharePoint 2013 Designer for SharePoint 2013. Customizing a workflow action is a better option to achieve it.  Why didn’t you customize a workflow action as Patrick’s blog?

In addition, please take a look at the article about Nintex workflow, check whether it is useful for you:

http://habaneroconsulting.com/insights/setting-managed-metadata-fields-in-a-nintex-workflow#.UykBSf6KDHo

As this issue is about SharePoint Online, I suggest you create a new thread on SharePoint Online forum: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=onlineservicessharepoint . More experts will assist you.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Wendy

Forum Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wendy Li
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 3:28 AM
  • Hi Andy,

Thanks a lot for the response.  I achieved this functionality by creating SP 2010 based workflow in Designer 2013. I guess there may be different way to do it in 2013 Workflow. Have not yet found any way to do it apart writing custom activity in 2013.

I will check over the link for SharePoint Online.

Thanks again for your assistance :)

Nutan

Nutan Sharma

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 10:26 AM
  • I achieved this functionality by creating SP 2010 based workflow in Designer 2013.

Nutan,

How were you able to achieve this functionality in the SP 2010 based workflow in Designer 2013? Did you use the "Update item" or "Set field" action? And what format did you use (e.g. a String type with the format "-1;Label#Guid")?

I am running into this same problem and trying all sorts of combinations. Any wisdom would be greatly appreciated!

Dan

Dan Kreitz, Solutions Architect, Séafra Inc.

Monday, September 01, 2014 7:21 PM
  • Hi Dan,

My requirement was to copy the metadata content from one field to another. When I created a 2010 based workflow in 2013 SP Designer, it worked. I had used the update item action though and set it with the current item field value. But if you do the same operation in 2013 workflow, even that fails.

Tried a lot of formats to update the metadata field with hard coded values but no success yet using workflows. It was much easier to use the ecmascript to do this operation where we just passed the GUID of the Term Value.

May be you could try that out once with Workflows.

Also try and see if this works in the form of <id>;<value>. I haven't tried this yet.

Still trying to figure out the correct way of doing this in 2013 Workflows. If I find something, will update the details here.

Thanks,

Nutan

Nutan Sharma

• Edited by Sharma Nutan Wednesday, September 03, 2014 6:11 AM
    Wednesday, September 03, 2014 6:07 AM