none
Mail App for Office: Send Meeting Request from OWA or Outlook for an Appointment created via EWS

Question

• Hello

I created a new appointment via makeEwsRequestAsync with requried attendees and used option ConflictResolutionMode.AlwaysOverwrite, SendInvitationsOrCancellationsMode.SendToNone.

If i then open the appointment in the OWA or Outlook calendar (or use displayAppointmentForm), and click Send the following happens:

1. i get a confirmation dialog that no changes were made and if i still want to send
    2. i click yes
    3. nothing gets sent

If i change the appointment attendees and then click Send, i get a confirmation if i want to send to all or just changed...clicking on All sends the invitations.

Question is, why is nothing beeing send without making any changes?

It is not possible for me to save the meeting with option SendInvitationsOrCancellationsMode.SendToAllAndSaveCopy, since meeting might get more updates through the app before the user wants to send it.

Also a solution to host a "Send" button inside the app which would call update with option SendInvitationsOrCancellationsMode.SendToAllAndSaveCopy is not wanted, since we dont want to duplicate the Send button which is already present in OWA and Outlook.

Is there any other solution, which would make it possible for the button Send meeting invitations (in OWA and Outlook) to send invitations to a such a meeting created (or updated) via EWS call to all attendees that were added within the create (or update) request?

For info: All the attendees that i add via createitem (or updateitem) ews calls do get listed as attendees if i open the appointment.

Anze Javornik

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 11:19 PM

All replies

• Hi Anze,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN Forum.

I'll consult my colleague on your issue. You'll be informed if there's any update.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Best regards,

Quist Zhang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, April 19, 2013 1:20 PM
  • Hi Anze,

I'm having trouble understanding what you're trying to do. Your app activates on messages or appointments? If I understand correctly, it allows a user to create an appointment via EWS, but doesn't send the invite? Can you please explain the scenario?

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 11:55 PM
  • Hi

It activates on both. The scenario is problematic on appointment activation and is as something like:

• user activates the app on appointment (to which no meeting invitations were sent yet)
    • clicks a button in mail app that adds some text into appointment body via EWS call (or adds an attendee via EWS call)
    • then user clicks button Send...gets confrimation dialog that no changes were made and if it should be sent anyway...clicking yes does not send the meeting invitations.

Meeting invitations only get sent, if via OWA or Outlook interface changes get made. Then it asks if update should be sent only to new attendees or all.

And scenario for mail activation is something like:

• user click a button in mail app which via EWS call creates an appointment (which also adds sender of this mail as requried attendee)
    • then opens this appointment in calendar
    • clicks Send and same as above...nothing gets sent

Anze Javornik

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 12:02 AM
  • Hi Anze,

If I understand it correctly, you are creating the Appointment using Outlook, making changes to the appointment using EWS and then sending it via the Outlook UI.. I would suggest taking this out of the Mail App and try doing the same with EWS Managed API.

Are you in Cached Mode or Online Mode? Does the mode make a difference?

Regards,

Shailesh G. Rajput

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 1:58 AM
  • You understand it correctly...but your suggestion is outside of apps for office scope. Unless you think i should make a web service in which i would use managed EWS...but i presume this would give the same result as using JS API for EWS calls.

We were always testing in Outlook in Online mode...only other option is Offline mode (is this what you mean by Cached Mode)...i really doubt that Cached mode would work, since then i presume even apps for office dont work.

Writing this functionality as Outlook plugin is not an option, since the goal of the project is to have an app for office.

At this moment the solution (or better said a workaround) we took is to show a warning message when change via EWS happens and inside the warning provide a button which calls UpdateItem EWS method with option to send updates to all applied.

Perfect solution would be to either:

• Outlook would recognize changes made via JS API and reload its UI content or
    • Provide a JS API to force Outlook to refresh its UI content (in a robost way to force it to close and reopen the appointment window with app state saved)

Anze Javornik

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 9:49 PM
  • Hello Anze,

What I suggested was to infact to take it out of office apps. Would it not be possible for you to just use EWS Managed API and mimic what you do in the Mail App. If you see the same behavior we alt least know that the Mail App has nothing to do with this.

Offline mode is not what I ment. Cached Exchange Mode enables a better experience when you use an Exchange account. In this mode, a copy of your mailbox is saved on your computer. This copy provides quick access to your data, and it is frequently updated with the server that runs Microsoft Exchange.

Unfortunately, as of now we do not have a Perfect solution. With the API evolving we hope to see a lot more functionality added in the future.

Now that you have a workaround and you would like to persue this further, I would recommend you to open a new support case as it will enable us to provide a more in-depth level of support. Please visit the link below to see the various paid support options that are available to better meet your needs.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;en-us;offerprophone

Regards,

Shailesh G. Rajput

Monday, July 01, 2013 4:33 PM
  • How would this solution you suggest work in OWA? Or would this be Outlook specific. Would it be possible to host Office Mail App with Outlook managed plugin in the same one app in Office store?

Anze Javornik

Friday, July 12, 2013 1:09 PM
  • Hi Anze,

What I had suggested was to use EWS Managed API and mimic what you do in the Mail App. This would be independent of Outlook or OWA.

As far as hosting of a Manage plugin in the same Office Store App, this is not possible!

Regards,

Shailesh G. Rajput

Friday, August 02, 2013 7:58 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

I must say i am not really sure what you want me to try now or how this would change things (maybe i need to read a bit more on this).

The problem is that changes that get made on Exchange object via EWS calls, do not get pulled by Outlook. Can you please explain a bit more on how (if even possible) this could be achived keeping in mind that this application needs to be an Mail App (however some functionality can be hosted as a different IIS app using the temp user token).

At this moment we choose a workaround that as soon as any EWS change gets made via Mail App for the appointment, we show a warning bar saying something like "Updates were made to this appointment. To send chnages click button Send" which also hosts this send button (which then calls UpdateItem with SendInvitationsOrCancellationsMode.SendToAllAndSaveCopy)

Thank you

Anze Javornik

Friday, August 02, 2013 9:55 PM