none
Problems updating

    Question

  • Hiiya,

    On SharePoint 2007 SP2 system, got a problem running the PSconfig.exe.

    Its getting stuck at updating the MSBatchHistory table. The last entry in the upgrade log is:

    [SearchQFE21038DatabaseAction] [12.2.508.0] [DEBUG] [11/2/2011 10:49:04 AM]: SearchQFE21038DatabaseAction.Upgrade: Changing MSSBatchHistory column BatchID type to bigint on database SQLSRV2:SSP_Search_DB

    Basically what happends is that the transaction log of the SSP_Search_DB will grow to 32GB, then our drive runs full. Causing SharePoint/SQL to ... lets just say be very mad ....

    Looking at the MSBatchHistory table in contains +47million rows. So I recon that is why its killing the SQL Server.

    1: What is the MSBatchHistory table?

    2: Is this normal?

    3: Can it be reduced?

     

    Wednesday, November 02, 2011 11:11 AM

Answers

  • I just bit the bullet and rebuilt the ssp so i could create a new ssp_Search database. Luckily that was the only db with this problem.

    sorry for the resurrcting the zombie thread, it's just no one else has had this problem

    • Marked as answer by Jesper Arnecke Tuesday, September 25, 2012 6:35 AM
    Wednesday, May 16, 2012 4:18 AM
  • I cant even remember what I did on this one.

    Either database only upgrade on search or recreation of SSP. The last one should be preferred I'd say.

    • Marked as answer by Jesper Arnecke Tuesday, September 25, 2012 6:35 AM
    Sunday, May 27, 2012 4:05 PM

All replies

  • Hi Jesper,

     

    The error should be caused by the transaction log running out of the disk space. The Mssbatchhistory table is updated when crawl is performed.

     

    You can increase the disk space for transaction log file and restart the search service, and re-run the PSConfig, check the result.

     

    Alternatively, you can make a database backup and truncate the log file to free the disk space, and re-run the PSConfig again.

    There are some articles about shrinking the transaction log file, you can check,

    http://dotnetfollower.com/wordpress/2011/08/sharepoint-how-to-shrink-transaction-log-file/

    http://mossindepth.blogspot.com/2009/03/truncate-ms-sql-transaction-log-file.html

     

    Thanks


    Regards, Daniel
    Friday, November 04, 2011 7:58 AM
  • Yeah that would be the obvious answer, but I not sure that is actually the case..

    I mean a log file growing from 512KB to 38GB in about 3 hours, when running the PSConfig, sounds like a little more than just a disk space issue :)

     

    Subsequently we found out the search was bugged, so had to put it down swift and hard. I will try a PSConfig when I got a nice timeslot for this operation. With your comment on the MSSBatchHistory table, sounds like it might be that.

    Thanks loads for your response! - will update when I get the time to rerun it!

    Friday, November 04, 2011 8:04 AM
  • No luck... still getting stuck at the updating table..
    Wednesday, November 09, 2011 2:54 PM
  • I am seeing the same scenario... search not working properly prior to the upgrade.. now the upgrade cranks on the TLOG and eventually dies... any resolution yet?

     

    Sunday, December 11, 2011 4:39 PM
  • HI,

    Try shrinking the database and again carry out the operation


    Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    Monday, December 12, 2011 4:30 AM
  • Hiya,

    No luck on this yet:(

    As I write, the database starts out small, however grows from 512KB to 38GB in 4 hours.. And not really interested in shrinking while running the PSConfig..

    Im thinking it might be a disk issue on the MOSS 2007 Server, just waiting for the disk space on the drive to be expanded... Less than 10GB free on C:\ for the MOSS Server..

     

    Monday, December 12, 2011 7:55 AM
  • this is a few months old, but did you find a solution?

    I'm having the exact same problem, the search database log keeps filling up when running psconfig -cmd upgrade. I have tried increasing the max size of the log file and it keeps hitting the limit so I figured something else was wrong.

    I guess I could recreate the ssp as a last resort, that's all i can think of, but not sure that will help.

    Wednesday, May 16, 2012 12:06 AM
  • I just bit the bullet and rebuilt the ssp so i could create a new ssp_Search database. Luckily that was the only db with this problem.

    sorry for the resurrcting the zombie thread, it's just no one else has had this problem

    • Marked as answer by Jesper Arnecke Tuesday, September 25, 2012 6:35 AM
    Wednesday, May 16, 2012 4:18 AM
  • I cant even remember what I did on this one.

    Either database only upgrade on search or recreation of SSP. The last one should be preferred I'd say.

    • Marked as answer by Jesper Arnecke Tuesday, September 25, 2012 6:35 AM
    Sunday, May 27, 2012 4:05 PM
  • Friday, September 21, 2012 6:11 PM