none
Left to Right Continuous Forms in Access

Question

• I am using Microsoft Access 2010.

Is there anyway for a continuous form to go from left to right or horizontally instead of vertically.

Thanks in advance

Friday, April 22, 2011 3:28 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello miguelh,

miguelh wrote:

Is there anyway for a continuous form to go from left to right or
    horizontally instead of vertically.

No.

HTH
    Gunter

Access FAQ: http://www.donkarl.com

http://www.avenius.com - http://www.AccessRibbon.com
    http://www.ribboncreator.com - http://www.ribboncreator2010.com

• Marked as answer by miguelh Friday, April 22, 2011 7:39 PM
    Friday, April 22, 2011 3:36 PM
  • Yes, if you really, really, really, really, really, really want to.

Use an undound main form with 3 subforms side by side per row and any number of rows of 3 subforms down for example to display 3 columns wide and your number of rows down.

Each subfrom Default View is set to Single Form and Cycle is Current Record. You need to provide you own record navigation and sync each subform to the appropriate record.

I have a form setup like that which displays pictures and appears to be continuous, another form uses the same technique to display colors with a color picker.

A camel is a horse designed by a committee.

Friday, April 22, 2011 9:57 PM
  • Miguelh,

If you are keen to simulate records horizontally across instead of the normal arrangement (vertically down), and are in a position to put in the required effort, my sample db named Form_MultiColumn might be of interest to you. It is in access 2000 file format (Ref: DAO 3.6) and is available at Rogers Access Library. Link:

This sample db demonstrates multi-column layout in forms. This could be convenient in certain situations where only a small number of fields are involved. Adoption of multi-column layout (similar to across and then down layout in multi-column reports), where records are arranged across the screen, can facilitate optimum utilization of viewing area on continuous form or datasheet.

Two alternative styles of multi-column display are covered (either style can be selected via an option group):

Style 1 - Complete transposition:
        1.1 - Field names appear at left, arranged in a vertical strip. Individual records appear across the screen as a series of vertical strips. For example, in a three column layout, there would be three data strips opposite the fieldname strip.
        1.2 - If it were a blank form to start with, only the first data strip would be available as a new record (adjacent to field name strip). As soon as data entry in this strip is initiated, a fresh data strip (as a new record) becomes available at the right of current strip.
        1.3 - When the last data strip at right is dirtied, a fresh strip of field names along with one blank data strip (representing new record) becomes available below the existing set of strips.

Style 2 - Repetition of fields horizontally:
        2.1 - The set of columns representing a conventional record gets repeated across the screen. For example, if three fields F1, F2 and F3 are involved and three column layout is desired, the column headers will be like  F1 F2 F3  F1 F2 F3  F1 F2 F3
        2.2 - To start with, one horizontal strip spanning first set of fields will be available as new record. As soon as data entry in this strip is initiated, a fresh data strip (as a new record) becomes available at the right of current strip, under the next set of fields.
        2.3 - When the data strip under last set of field names is dirtied, a fresh blank data strip (representing new record) becomes available below the existing data strip under the first set of field names.

For each style, both view are shown (continuous form as well as datasheet). Toggling between the two views takes place on clicking the pertinent command button. In datasheet view, there is certain wobble effect while conditional formatting is updated. No such problem is experienced in continuous form view

Data strip representing new record is highlighted in light blue. Blank cells (if any) beyond this new data strip, are colored black, not available for use. Any attempt to enter such forbidden strip deflects the focus back to new record strip.

Deletion of records can be carried out by double clicking on the pertinent data strip.

Additional details are included in accompanying file Notes.txt

Best wishes,
    A.D. Tejpal
    ------------

----- Original Message -----
    Newsgroups: Msdn.en-US.accessdev
    Sent: Friday, April 22, 2011 20:58
    Subject: Left to Right Continuous Forms in Access

I am using Microsoft Access 2010.

Is there anyway for a continuous form to go from left to right or horizontally instead of vertically.

Thanks in advance

A.D. Tejpal
    Saturday, April 23, 2011 5:07 AM
  • Roger, I need to see this form_multicolum database on your site, but you are not accepting new members.  I have built a database that has to present data in a horizontal display.  Each row can contain up to 18 records from the table.  The performance ins abysmal.  I was hoping to see how you handle it.

Dave Hargis

Friday, November 08, 2013 5:52 PM