none
Word 2007 "A File Error Has Occurred"

Question

• Greetings!

We have few docx documents, saved on disk, with track changes turned on. I turn off track changes, add a content control at the very beginning of the document (through a custom VSTO plugin), try to save the document, and get a save as dialog (although expected just to save and not save as), on clicking save "A File Error Has Occurred" error comes up. The error goes away if all revisions are accepted before clicking Save (or a Globals.ThisAddIn.Application.ActiveDocument.AcceptAllRevisions() is fired through the code).

Any ideas why this would happen or has this been noticed by anyone else? I am using Word 2007 SP1 (12.0.6504.5000) using VSTO 2.0 using Visual Studio 2008. Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Kaushik Chakraborti
    Thursday, June 03, 2010 12:54 PM

Answers

• Hello Kaushik,

I am afraid that this issue is a known one. Fortunately, here is a workaround to fix this issue. Please see this KB article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/974991. You need to install this hotfix package. Please feel free to follow up if you have any concern for this.

Best regards,
    Bessie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Monday, June 07, 2010 2:58 AM

All replies

• Here is a way to get around the error, although I am still VERY MUCH intersted to know what's going on and how to fix the root cause.
    Apparently there are anchors for some text boxes at the very first character of the document, so if a content control is also added around the first few visible characters in the document, that seems to cause the error. If I simply add a new line character in the beginning of the document (which makes anchors stay on line 1 and my text starting line 2) and then add the content control around the characters in line 2, the error does not come up any more.
    Please advise!

Kaushik Chakraborti
    Thursday, June 03, 2010 1:08 PM
  • Hello Kaushik,

I am afraid that this issue is a known one. Fortunately, here is a workaround to fix this issue. Please see this KB article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/974991. You need to install this hotfix package. Please feel free to follow up if you have any concern for this.

Best regards,
    Bessie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Monday, June 07, 2010 2:58 AM
  • Thanks Bessie for your response. We will investigate the error after installing the hotfix and contact you if it persists. 
    Regards,
    Kaushik

Kaushik Chakraborti
    Monday, June 07, 2010 12:10 PM
  • Hello Kaushik,

Best regards,
    Bessie

Ran into an issue today where this patch was already applied and Word 2007 is giving one of our users this same error. There seems to be no additional info anywhere on what might cause the error if KB974991 is already installed.
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 8:16 PM
  • I have the same problem with Word 2010. Is there a fix for this version?

Thanks.

Hergen

Thursday, May 19, 2011 7:04 PM
  • I have the same problem with Word 2010. Is there a fix for this version?

Thanks.

Hergen

I have also the same problem with Word 2010... This has definitely something to do with math equations.

• Edited by Anton Kalcik Thursday, June 02, 2011 7:35 PM typo
    Thursday, June 02, 2011 7:31 PM
  • also have this problem in Word 2010.  my document uses TrackChanges and math equations and floating figures.  Help!
    JJG
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 10:04 PM