none
Office Word 2010 429 Activex can't create object

Question

• We ve got an error on access application with Office Word 2010 429 Activex can't create object

Dim appWord As Object

Set appWord = CreateObject("Word.Application")

Our application worked with word xp, 2003, 2007 and 2010Beta.

We have not had any reference to microsoft office object library before.

But we tried to had Microsoft office 14 object library and we don't find it in the list. We just have Microsoft office 12 object librar, but it doesn't worked...

We tried to reinstall, it still not working and we try to install interop but we not see the reference...

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 2:41 PM

Answers

• Hi,

We have access runtime XP installed for our application paralell the office of our users. The window is seven on the 3 test machine.

We have found that it is the version "Click and run" which is not working with this code :

Dim appWord as Word.Application
    Set appWord = New Word.Application

We test on 2 office 2010 professionnal and it works ! We do not found any workaround for this.

In conclusion, we have to recommand to our users to buy the expensive one (We do not know know if it's done on purpose, but if yes, it's a shame, I'm disappointed).
    Tuesday, September 28, 2010 7:55 AM
  • Hi Damien

<<We have found that it is the version "Click and run" which is not working>>

If you research this new technology, you'll see that you're not dealing with a "traditional" application. Here's an extract from one blog entry I found

"Products delivered via Click-to-Run execute in a virtual application environment on the local Operating System. This means that they have private copies of their files and settings, and that any changes they make are captured in the virtual environment. The effect is they don’t end up modifying any other software installed on the System. With few exceptions, only user data actually passes through the virtual environment to the local System. Click-to-Run users may notice that they have a virtual Q: drive on their PCs, this is the virtual file system used by Office."

(from http://windows7center.com/forums/office-2010/4779-introducing-click-run-office-2010-public-beta.html)

Since this is not executing on the machine, but in a virtual environment, you apparently can't address it using the "new" keyword.

See also, for example:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982434/en-us
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982431

From some of my reading, the Click-to-run technology specifically protects the user from outside applications leveraging Office functionality (to do bad things). So the behavior you're seeing is apparently consciously by design.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    Wednesday, September 29, 2010 8:22 AM

All replies

• Hello

I ve got an error too on office 2010 :

Dim objWord as object
    set objWord = CreateObject("Word.Application")

"429 ActiveX component can't create object"

Our application works with office 2002 2003 2007,2010 beta.

Monday, September 20, 2010 1:52 PM
  • hi Damien,

429 Activex can't create object

Take a look at
       http://support.microsoft.com/kb/828550

this may solve your problem.

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 3:10 PM
  • Hi Damien

Some couple of follow-up questions...

1. What kind of message do you get if you try this:

2. From within which application are you trying to automate Word?

3. Are you using this inside of any kind of loop?

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 5:41 PM
  • Hi Damien,

Please check this link to see if it will be helpful. It involves the possible cause of the error information.
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/vblanguage/thread/0653f685-4526-45d9-89f3-8c479a6b4c62/

Any further questions, please feel free to contact. Thank you!

Best Regards,
    Amy Li
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, September 24, 2010 8:21 AM
  •  

It seems that this KB is not applicable to office2010 (write in the bottom reference).

The application not worked on 3 computer with office 2010 (all computer test we have) and the code is good because it worked on hundred of computers with office xp,2003 and 2007.

I read the article but i don't understand :

"In the Run dialog box, type the path of the server, and then append /RegServer to the end of the line." what is the server path ? we don't have server automation...

Friday, September 24, 2010 3:27 PM
  • Hi

1 : Type undefined on dim as Word.application. But it s because we have no reference to any microsoft object library. this worked for all other version of office word.

2 : microsoft access xp

3 : no loop

Friday, September 24, 2010 3:29 PM
  • 1 : Type undefined on dim as Word.application. But it s because we have no reference to any microsoft object library. this worked for all other version of office word.

2 : microsoft access xp

3 : no loop

Hi Damien

So you have Office XP installed paralell to Office 2010? If not the entire Office, which apps are installed as XP and which as 2010? And what's the history of Office application installation on this particular machine?

Which version of Windows?

Friday, September 24, 2010 6:26 PM
  • Hi,

We have access runtime XP installed for our application paralell the office of our users. The window is seven on the 3 test machine.

We have found that it is the version "Click and run" which is not working with this code :

We test on 2 office 2010 professionnal and it works ! We do not found any workaround for this.

In conclusion, we have to recommand to our users to buy the expensive one (We do not know know if it's done on purpose, but if yes, it's a shame, I'm disappointed).
    Tuesday, September 28, 2010 7:55 AM
  • Hi Damien

<<We have found that it is the version "Click and run" which is not working>>

If you research this new technology, you'll see that you're not dealing with a "traditional" application. Here's an extract from one blog entry I found

"Products delivered via Click-to-Run execute in a virtual application environment on the local Operating System. This means that they have private copies of their files and settings, and that any changes they make are captured in the virtual environment. The effect is they don’t end up modifying any other software installed on the System. With few exceptions, only user data actually passes through the virtual environment to the local System. Click-to-Run users may notice that they have a virtual Q: drive on their PCs, this is the virtual file system used by Office."

(from http://windows7center.com/forums/office-2010/4779-introducing-click-run-office-2010-public-beta.html)

Since this is not executing on the machine, but in a virtual environment, you apparently can't address it using the "new" keyword.

See also, for example:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982434/en-us
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982431

From some of my reading, the Click-to-run technology specifically protects the user from outside applications leveraging Office functionality (to do bad things). So the behavior you're seeing is apparently consciously by design.

Wednesday, September 29, 2010 8:22 AM
  • We have understand this, and we will recommand to our users to be carefull and get CD version.

We understand because we are developper, but it is strange to sell an activation key for "home and little company" without CD and no information on the box to get it or warning limit on the click and run version...

Imagine all the buyers (professionnals in little entreprise) who bought their licence by themselve and their applications with little CRM, outlook synchonisation, word automation, excel export... What appened after the installation for them ? They call, and we have to said it is the "microsoft design".

The clic and run version suppose to simplify and accelerate deploiement. (<< Joke ? at home you have the time to install, and in business you need the CD version.)

It's just my point of view, sorry to use this topic to give it.... Anyway, thanks for your answer and links.

Wednesday, September 29, 2010 1:08 PM
  • We understand because we are developper, but it is strange to sell an activation key for "home and little company" without CD and no information on the box to get it or warning limit on the click and run version...

Imagine all the buyers (professionnals in little entreprise) who bought their licence by themselve and their applications with little CRM, outlook synchonisation, word automation, excel export... What appened after the installation for them ? They call, and we have to said it is the "microsoft design".

The clic and run version suppose to simplify and accelerate deploiement. (<< Joke ? at home you have the time to install, and in business you need the CD version.)

It's just my point of view, sorry to use this topic to give it.... Anyway, thanks for your answer and links.

Hi Damien

I concur with everything you say :-) And from my reading, it appears others also see it this way. I suspect, somewhere down the line, the information about the limitations will become more prominent, given the complaints...

Friday, October 01, 2010 6:57 AM
  • Damien, if a client with click-to-run visits the download screen again at http://www.office.com/downloadoffice and then clicks on "advanced options", he can download the full non-virtualized version (32 or 64 bit).  But I agree, it's not obvious what you're getting into when you install the click-to-run version (the fact that any app that uses the COM model of Excel/Word will simply not work with click-to-run)

Friday, October 01, 2010 9:01 PM
  • Hi Ted

Thanks for the link.

The information is accessible for "geeks" but not for 99% of our users. 

The end user do not know what is "COM model", anyway they not read, they click like all users (included me)...

I think the impact on the support will be funny for some sofware company.

Monday, October 04, 2010 3:51 PM
  • Thursday, October 07, 2010 12:21 AM