none
Access 2007. Split the database. Moved the backend to a different location from originally specified. Front end will not start..

Question

• After splitting the database, I moved the backend to another folder. Clicking the front end (on my old computer), would open the front end and allow the user to click a button to specify a new location for the .be, but now only the Access main form appears. Clicking the database name in the right panel of Access does not do anything.

In order to accomplish this, it is necessary to import the table behind the main form from the back end db into the front end db. This was just a simple procedure with I followed on my old computer, which is no longer. I moved the database via a flash drive to the new computer (Dell Inspiron 560s, 286GB Hard Drive), where the problem started to appear.

I am aware that the documentation in help about splitting a database says to move the front end to various user computers, and they automatically know where the data tables are. But what if you move the tables at a later time?

I am stuck. Any ideas?

Thursday, October 21, 2010 3:06 AM

Answers

• If you split the backend using the Wizard, all the links should be taken care of. If you then move the backend, you have to relink the tables. From the frontend, right-click any linked table, and select Linked Table Manager. Make sure to tick 'Always prompt for new location'. Only distribute the frontend once you've done that. All users must be able to see the backend folder, and if mapped paths are used, all users must use the same mappings.

After splitting the database, I moved the backend to another folder. Clicking the front end (on my old computer), would open the front end and allow the user to click a button to specify a new location for the .be, but now only the Access main form appears. Clicking the database name in the right panel of Access does not do anything.

In order to accomplish this, it is necessary to import the table behind the main form from the back end db into the front end db. This was just a simple procedure with I followed on my old computer, which is no longer. I moved the database via a flash drive to the new computer (Dell Inspiron 560s, 286GB Hard Drive), where the problem started to appear.

I am aware that the documentation in help about splitting a database says to move the front end to various user computers, and they automatically know where the data tables are. But what if you move the tables at a later time?

I am stuck. Any ideas?

Regards, Graham R Seach Sydney, Australia
    • Marked as answer by Bessie Zhao Thursday, October 28, 2010 10:24 AM
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 3:11 AM
  • On Sun, 24 Oct 2010 23:55:46 +0000, Douglas J Steele [MVP] wrote:

>Armen: How do you handle the case with Access 2007 or 2010 when the database isn't in a Trusted Location?
    >
    >The experience I'm having is that since no code can run, the relinking doesn't happen and they get a bunch of error messages.

Hi Doug,

Well, that's a problem.  If I were deploying to lots of users, I would
    use SageKey to ensure that the installer sets the folder to trusted.
    If it's just a few, they need instructions on how to trust the folder
    the first time.  Otherwise, I don't know how to get around this issue
    if the code can't run.

Armen Stein
    Microsoft Access MVP
    www.JStreetTech.com

Monday, October 25, 2010 1:16 AM
  • Armen Stein [MVP] wrote:

if the code can't run.

The Auto FE Updater can also automatically set the Trusted Location. 
    You can also put in the registry API code yourself so long as the user
    gets the instructions to run the VBA code in Access once themselves.

Tony

Monday, October 25, 2010 5:27 AM

All replies

• If you split the backend using the Wizard, all the links should be taken care of. If you then move the backend, you have to relink the tables. From the frontend, right-click any linked table, and select Linked Table Manager. Make sure to tick 'Always prompt for new location'. Only distribute the frontend once you've done that. All users must be able to see the backend folder, and if mapped paths are used, all users must use the same mappings.

After splitting the database, I moved the backend to another folder. Clicking the front end (on my old computer), would open the front end and allow the user to click a button to specify a new location for the .be, but now only the Access main form appears. Clicking the database name in the right panel of Access does not do anything.

I am stuck. Any ideas?

Regards, Graham R Seach Sydney, Australia
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 3:11 AM
  • Hi Graham,

Thanks for your reply. The only problem is, when I move the backend, I cannot open the frontend any longer. As I said, clicking the front end to open it brings up the ACCESS 'Getting Started' form only; it will not open the database frontend.

Thursday, October 21, 2010 6:42 PM
  • Try holding down the shift key while you're opening the front-end. Hold it down the entire time until it opens.
    Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
    http://www.AccessMVP.com/djsteele (no e-mails, please!)
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 7:13 PM
  • On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 03:11:35 +0000, Graham R Seach wrote:

>From the frontend, right-click any linked table, and select Linked Table Manager

If you want a more automated approach to relinking tables, you're
    welcome to use our free J Street Access Relinker on our J Street
    Downloads page:  http://ow.ly/M56Q   It's a lot nicer than the Linked
    Table Manager.

It's some simple code that you copy into your front-end application.
    It handles multiple Access back-end databases, ignores ODBC linked
    tables, and can automatically and silently relink to back-end
    databases in the same folder as the application (handy for work
    databases or single-user scenarios).  There's a ReadMe table with
    instructions.

Armen Stein
    Microsoft Access MVP
    www.JStreetTech.com

Friday, October 22, 2010 11:23 PM
  • On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 19:13:11 +0000, Douglas J Steele [MVP] wrote:

>Try holding down the shift key while you're opening the front-end. Hold it down the entire time until it opens.

Right, Doug.  This is what the developer needs to do to relink.  But
    this won't help users if the BE moves after they've gotten the FE.
    That's why I recommended our relinker in my other post.  It runs
    before any of the tables are used, giving the user a chance to relink
    before anything fails.

Cheers,

Armen Stein
    Microsoft Access MVP
    www.JStreetTech.com

Friday, October 22, 2010 11:26 PM
  • Armen: How do you handle the case with Access 2007 or 2010 when the database isn't in a Trusted Location?

The experience I'm having is that since no code can run, the relinking doesn't happen and they get a bunch of error messages.

Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
    http://www.AccessMVP.com/djsteele (no e-mails, please!)
    Sunday, October 24, 2010 11:55 PM
  • On Sun, 24 Oct 2010 23:55:46 +0000, Douglas J Steele [MVP] wrote:

>Armen: How do you handle the case with Access 2007 or 2010 when the database isn't in a Trusted Location?
    >
    >The experience I'm having is that since no code can run, the relinking doesn't happen and they get a bunch of error messages.

Hi Doug,

if the code can't run.

Armen Stein
    Microsoft Access MVP
    www.JStreetTech.com

Monday, October 25, 2010 1:16 AM
  • Armen Stein [MVP] wrote:

if the code can't run.

The Auto FE Updater can also automatically set the Trusted Location. 
    You can also put in the registry API code yourself so long as the user
    gets the instructions to run the VBA code in Access once themselves.

Tony

Monday, October 25, 2010 5:27 AM
  • Armen, you're my new hero! That code was exactly what I needed  for my project. Thanks so much!

Joshua Heinreich
    www.tactical-tech.net

Monday, December 06, 2010 4:30 AM