none
Remove Help bar from Ribbon controls

Question

• Hi All,

I am currently working on Ribbon UI for my add-in.

(I am using Microsoft UI editor for design )

I hav added separate Tab for my add-in (My Product Name)

I have created 5 ribbon Group box and each contains ribbon button controls.

At run time when i hover my mouse on any of the button control i am getting a bar below it with some label caption for Help regarding that control.

I want to remove the bar  (Myaddin name with Press F1 for help).

Is there any XML attribute which does it.

Please let me know the code for disable it.

Dwipayan Das
    Monday, October 11, 2010 8:40 AM

Answers

• Hi Dwipayan Das

There is no way to remove this "Help" section in the tooltips for Ribbon controls.

It's there by design, and the fact that it cannot be removed is also by design.

Microsoft learned, as developers discovered Office applications and toolbars, that users are not able to distinguish between Office-owned and third-party controls. There were way too many calls into support for things not working right that turned out to be third-party tools. This Help text accomplishes two things

1. It tells users that a control is not part of Office-out-of-the box, and who owns it.

2. It tells them how they can get rid of a component that's causing problems.

These are support- and image-related, frequently occurring issues. So that text is not removable.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    • Marked as answer by Dwipayan Das Tuesday, October 12, 2010 9:49 AM
    Monday, October 11, 2010 4:15 PM

All replies

• Hi Dwipayan Das

There is no way to remove this "Help" section in the tooltips for Ribbon controls.

Microsoft learned, as developers discovered Office applications and toolbars, that users are not able to distinguish between Office-owned and third-party controls. There were way too many calls into support for things not working right that turned out to be third-party tools. This Help text accomplishes two things

1. It tells users that a control is not part of Office-out-of-the box, and who owns it.

These are support- and image-related, frequently occurring issues. So that text is not removable.

• Marked as answer by Dwipayan Das Tuesday, October 12, 2010 9:49 AM
    Monday, October 11, 2010 4:15 PM
  • You can uncheck it in Office Button>Excel Options...Popular
    Or in 2010 File>Options...General

See ScreenTip style dropdown

Regards Ron de Bruin
    http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm

"Cindy Meister [MVP]" wrote in message news:0df181da-b7ae-4562-acc0-e966ca6c1c55@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Hi Dwipayan Das

Monday, October 11, 2010 5:06 PM
  • Hi Ron

<<You can uncheck it in Office Button>Excel Options...Popular

See ScreenTip style dropdown>>

But then you remove it for everything, not just add-in controls... Not sure users are going to appreciate that :-)

Monday, October 11, 2010 5:11 PM
  • Hi Cindy

Correct, but you can remove it <g>

One of those options that I like to have, but after two Ribbon versions (2007 and 2010)
    I think we we not see that option in Office anymore

Have a nice day

Regards Ron de Bruin
    http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm

"Cindy Meister [MVP]" wrote in message news:24afee04-01e6-46d8-9738-fa3500c63471@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Hi Ron

<<You can uncheck it in Office Button>Excel Options...Popular

See ScreenTip style dropdown>>

But then you remove it for everything, not just add-in controls... Not sure users are going to appreciate that :-)

Monday, October 11, 2010 5:22 PM
  • Hi Cindy,

Thanks for your answer.

Please do the following Excel-->Review tab -->New Comment-->Hover the mouse

You will get no help info in the Screen Tip part .

What is different here for the control ?

Dwipayan Das
    • Edited by Dwipayan Das Tuesday, October 12, 2010 9:56 AM More info
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 9:52 AM
  • Please do the following Excel-->Review tab -->New Comment-->Hover the mouse

You will get no help info in the Screen Tip part .

What is different here for the control ?

Hi Dwipayan

You won't see the "Help" segment in the tooltip for any built-in control. The difference is that this is a built-in control, not a third-party control. Microsoft (in its opinion) doesn't need to tell the user the origin of its own controls.

Tuesday, October 12, 2010 3:24 PM
  •  

Got it :)

Dwipayan Das
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 5:05 PM
  •  

Anyways for a user perspective its looks odd .

It would be nice: If Microsoft shows the help menu per the Ribbon-Tab not per Ribbon group and Ribbon Controls inside the Tab.

Dwipayan Das
    • Edited by Dwipayan Das Wednesday, October 13, 2010 6:48 AM Typo
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 6:44 AM