none
Outlook creates Black Borders Where None Are Defined in HTML

Question

• I have been creating HTML email templates for Outlook and have run into a problem where the template displays correctly in a browser, but Outlook introduces a black border around one of the table containers for the right hand sidebar. All borders are set to width:0px; or border="0", everywhere within that section of the containing table and nowhere in the entire template is there black borders defined. Is this a known issue with Outlook, is there a simple fix that I'm not understanding? All styles are defined in the styles section before the <body> tag and again in line in case one mail client likes a style definition section and another likes in-line styles. I have done everything I can think of to get rid of the ugly one pixel black border.
    Advocate of Fusion Power
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 6:08 PM

Answers

All replies

• It's not really Outlook related, as Word controls the rendering:

Word 2007 HTML and CSS Rendering Capabilities in Outlook 2007 (Part 1 of 2):
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa338201(office.12).aspx

Eric Legault
    MVP (Outlook)
    About me...
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 8:07 PM
  • Thanks for the heads up. I will read the Word rendering documentation.

Advocate of Fusion Power
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 11:18 PM
  • I took a quick look and saw that the Word Render Engine doesn't support the style attribute for in-line styles, so the style definitions would need to be examined. But my recent experience tell me that this is dated because I when I included in-line styles. Outlook responded to the definitions. This document was written in 2006 and may not reflect the current state of the Word Render Engine.
    Advocate of Fusion Power
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 11:31 PM
  • Nothing has changed with Outlook/Word 2010.  More info here:

Outlook Blog - The Power of Word in Outlook:
    http://blogs.office.com/b/microsoft-outlook/archive/2009/06/24/the-power-of-word-in-outlook.aspx

Eric Legault
    MVP (Outlook)
    About me...
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 3:07 PM
  • Thank you again. I will keep plodding forward.
    Advocate of Fusion Power
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 6:19 PM
  • It would appear that Word renders border-width:0px;border-color:#FFFFFF;border-style:solid; as a one (1) pixel black border. I include most of the style options available so that I can use the code in other applications and only have to change a parameter like 0px to 2px and have my border appear. It appears that if I have a border declaration included at all even if border width is set to 0px, Word provides a 1 pixel border anyway.
    Advocate of Fusion Power
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 9:56 PM