none
Creating Slides in PowerPoint through VB.NET application (Missing PowerPoint Method)

Question

• I am receiving the following issue when exporting to PowerPoint, but only on certain client machines.  

System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'Microsoft.Office.Core.MsoTriState Microsoft.Office.Interop.PowerPoint._Slide.get_FollowMasterBackground()'.

PowerPoint is essentially saying its missing its own functionality.  This seems to be only on an individual basis so it's not something within our code base. How can this be resolved?

Thanks,

Mike

Friday, December 07, 2012 8:15 PM

All replies

• Hi Mike

You don't give us a lot to go on... Which version of PowerPoint is on those machines where you're having a problem, and is that version different than the machines not having a problem?

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Sunday, December 09, 2012 7:27 AM
  • This is PowerPoint 2007, this functionality works on PowerPoint 2003, 2007, 2010 for 99% of users.  Only particular client machines have this issue.  Could this be PowerPoint corruption because the functionality is native to PowerPoint?
    Monday, December 10, 2012 1:52 PM
  • Yes, but which version PowerPoint are the problem installations running?

Against which version of PowerPoint was the program tested and compiled? Version of Visual Studio?

Does your code have references to the Office and PowerPoint PIAs? Embedded Interop types? Or does it work with late binding?

What other kinds of calls to the PowerPoint object model are working before it "snags" on this one?

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Monday, December 10, 2012 2:52 PM
  • Monday, December 10, 2012 2:59 PM
  • - Problem is with 2007

- Application has been tested against 2000, 2003, 2007, 2010

- Visual Studio 2010

- We have to late bind because of the variety of client versions used

- Here is the execution code

Dim objSlide as Object

objSlide = objPres.Slides.Add(objPres.Slides.Count + 1, PowerPoint.PpSlideLayout.ppLayoutBlank)           objSlide.FollowMasterBackground = Microsoft.Office.Core.MsoTriState.msoFalse           objSlide.DisplayMasterShapes = Microsoft.Office.Core.MsoTriState.msoFalse

Monday, December 10, 2012 3:14 PM
  • Hello Mike,

If the issue is specific to certain clients, it could be an issue with either PIA or Office installation. Could you pleae try to repair install Office and PIA and check if the issue is resolved?

Also, check if the machine has the same version of PIA installed as the Office version. That is if Office 2007 is installed, you should have Office 2007 PIA installed.

Thanks,

Sreerenj G Nair.

Wednesday, January 02, 2013 11:25 PM
  • Hi Sreerenj,

I will be in contact with the client today.  They said that their IT team re-installed Office, which did not work.  I am sure they did not look into re-installing or repairing PIA.  I will try to repair both and see if that resolves the issue.  I will reply back here with my findings.

Thanks,

Mike

Thursday, January 03, 2013 3:10 PM
  • This user has Office 2007, installing 2007 PIA did not work.

Client claims that IT only re-installed PowerPoint 2007 only, we are trying to get in contact with IT to see what exactly they did and perhaps tell them to do a full re-installation of Office 2007. I will keep posted.

Thanks,

Mike

Thursday, January 03, 2013 7:48 PM
  • Hello Mike,

It is necessary to install VBA as well to make the add-ins or automation work. Could you please ask your client to install VBA as well and check if this works for him.

Thanks,

Sreerenj G Nair

Friday, January 04, 2013 8:35 PM