none
How to enable open XML Package Editor power tool for Visual Studio

Question

• I want to create customized ribbon on my excel sheet. I saw some of the tutorial (e.g,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn3Qkp4Jw34) where they used Open XML package editor power tool for visual studio 2010 and worked on some xml configuration file to add ribbon. Hence I downloaded the tool and installed it. But when I drag and drop the excel file to the VS-2010, the file instead of opening in the VS editor it is opening in its new excel window. I tried to do same thing for a word file but still it is opening in new word window instead of opening in VS editor. Anybody could you please help me regarding this. I was using Visual Studio 2012 but then I came to know that Open XML package editor power tool for visual studio 2010 won't work for VS-2012 hence Installed VS-2010 but still getting same problem.

Thank you

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 11:26 PM

Answers

• Hi Anup

You've posted in the VSTO forum. The technology in your link has nothing to do with the VSTO technology and it's doubtful you'll find someone in this forum who has any experience with this Visual Studio Add-on. I recommend you ask this in the forums on OpenXMLDeveloper.org, which is where Eric White, the author of the YouTube tutorial mostly hangs out.

Or I can try moving your question to a forum that specializes in configuring Visual Studio, since this is a Microsoft extension of Visual Studio.

But FWIW, if you're more interested in customizing a Ribbon than working with the content of Office Open XML packages, you'd probably be better off with the custom UI Editor http://openxmldeveloper.org/blog/b/openxmldeveloper/archive/2010/08/10/23248.aspx

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

• Marked as answer by Anup_nadig Friday, August 02, 2013 6:47 PM
    Thursday, August 01, 2013 2:57 PM

All replies

• Hi Anup

You've posted in the VSTO forum. The technology in your link has nothing to do with the VSTO technology and it's doubtful you'll find someone in this forum who has any experience with this Visual Studio Add-on. I recommend you ask this in the forums on OpenXMLDeveloper.org, which is where Eric White, the author of the YouTube tutorial mostly hangs out.

Or I can try moving your question to a forum that specializes in configuring Visual Studio, since this is a Microsoft extension of Visual Studio.

But FWIW, if you're more interested in customizing a Ribbon than working with the content of Office Open XML packages, you'd probably be better off with the custom UI Editor http://openxmldeveloper.org/blog/b/openxmldeveloper/archive/2010/08/10/23248.aspx

• Marked as answer by Anup_nadig Friday, August 02, 2013 6:47 PM
    Thursday, August 01, 2013 2:57 PM
  • Thank you very much for your kind response. Yes basically I need to add a button in a ribbon and this button should be connected to a macro in the back end. So if you have any information regarding this please let me know. I am sorry for posting this in VSTO forum, I am new to this technology. I will post this to OpenXMLDeveloper.org forums. 
    Thursday, August 01, 2013 5:06 PM
  • Hi Anup

<<Yes basically I need to add a button in a ribbon and this button should be connected to a macro in the back end>>

In that case, follow the link I posted in my last response to download the free Custom UI Editor tool. Instructions for using it should be in the OpenXMLDeveloper post to which I linked. You'll also find quite a few descriptions in the Internet, I imagine.

I'm going to move this question to the General Office Developer forum as it is more on-topic there. Feel free to follow up if you run into problems with figuring out the Custom UI Editor :-)

Friday, August 02, 2013 11:22 AM
  • Thank you very much Cindy. The link that you posted I installed it and able to create ribbon in excel. 

Thank you very much for your information.

Friday, August 02, 2013 6:47 PM
  • You're quite welcome :-) Glad things are moving along...

Saturday, August 03, 2013 12:39 PM