none
Using Shellexecute msg file add a new email in the inbox.

Question

• Dear Sir,

I have a customer using Office 365/Ecxhange Online with Office Pro plus 2010. They are also using and application which works with Outlook objects, MSG files.

The problem is that when they use the command Shellexecute to open a .msg file Outlook also adds a new item in the inbox. However if we save and email to the desktop and double-click to open it, it is working.

According to the developer this is only happening to this customer using Exchange Online, and not to customers using Exchange On Premise.

Questions in summary:

1. Is there a difference between the online version and the on premise version when yoy use Shellexecute?

2. How to avoid a new email in the inbox when you use Shellexecute to open a .msg file? 

Thanks for reading. 

BR

- Geir

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 4:23 PM

Answers

• normally it should be added to draft folder, but it could also land in inbox folder. search there. also a general advice - try not to do anything with that temporary message in store - you actions could end up with outlook leaving that message there permanently.
    • Marked as answer by Procloud365 Friday, February 22, 2013 10:59 AM
    Friday, February 22, 2013 8:49 AM
  • A final update here, because this problem is solved.

First, it was only msg-files With attachments which was stored in the inbox when you opened it from a Third party Application.

Second, the guilty Application was a local installed antivirus Application.

• Marked as answer by Procloud365 Wednesday, February 27, 2013 3:46 PM
    Wednesday, February 27, 2013 3:46 PM

All replies

• when you open msg file from disk, it is imported into default store, but this is temporary and on closing such file, item is removed from store. There should not be any difference based on exchange service used, but this i cannot tell for sure.
    Wednesday, February 20, 2013 7:28 PM
  • Thank you for your answer and suggestion Damian. I made a small test on my own PC (Using the Office 365 Business Premiun Preview). I categorized a message, so it should be easier to search for. Saved it on my disk as a MSG-file and deleted it completely from my Inboks.

Is the default store you mention searchable? Is it possible to find the open MSG-file when i search all items in Outlook?

- Geir

Thursday, February 21, 2013 9:48 PM
  • why don't you just try to find it and see for yourself?
    Friday, February 22, 2013 5:03 AM
  • I actually did, but I could not find the MSG-file in Outlook when I searched for it. So I wondered if I looked in the wrong place.
    Friday, February 22, 2013 8:22 AM
  • normally it should be added to draft folder, but it could also land in inbox folder. search there. also a general advice - try not to do anything with that temporary message in store - you actions could end up with outlook leaving that message there permanently.
    • Marked as answer by Procloud365 Friday, February 22, 2013 10:59 AM
    Friday, February 22, 2013 8:49 AM
  • Good sugestions and answer. The problem is that I dont manage to reproduse what is happening on the customers system. I an not find the MSG file in Outlook when i open it.

I used this VBA-macro in a word document, it opens the MSG file, I can see it activates the ost file, but the size does not change, and I can not find it in Outlook.

Actually I belive the customers have other Outlook-addins, which makes the Outlook item when it is used with shellexecute.

Saturday, February 23, 2013 11:51 AM
  • A final update here, because this problem is solved.

First, it was only msg-files With attachments which was stored in the inbox when you opened it from a Third party Application.

Second, the guilty Application was a local installed antivirus Application.

• Marked as answer by Procloud365 Wednesday, February 27, 2013 3:46 PM
    Wednesday, February 27, 2013 3:46 PM