none
Not able to make HTTP Request from a TaskPane App

Question

• Hi,

I am trying to call a service and retrieve JSON from that service (http://ws.detectlanguage.com/0.2/detect?q=buenos+dias+señor&key=demo). Since the service doesn't support callbacks, I am not able to get the data through ajax GET. 

When I try to do an HTTP Request, it gives me an error : Automation server can't create object

Below is the simple code that i have attached for your reference:

if (typeof window.ActiveXObject != 'undefined') {
                    HTTP_Response_Holder = new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP");//gives error
                    HTTP_Response_Holder.onreadystatechange = process;
                }
                else {
                    HTTP_Response_Holder = new XMLHttpRequest();
                    HTTP_Response_Holder.onload = process;
                }
                HTTP_Response_Holder.open("GET", requestUrl, true);
                HTTP_Response_Holder.send(null);

Please let me know if there is another way to get JSON data from a service(with no callbacks) in Office Apps.

Vishal Sharma

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 4:35 PM

Answers

• Apps for Office do not support ActiveXObjects. You should use an ajax call to make the request. If you are not using jQuery, i suggest you do...it makes it really simple as for example:

$.ajax({
        url: requestUrl,
        data: { parameter1: 'value', parameter2: 'value2' }, // if you need parameters
        dataType: 'jsonp', // to make sure cross domain always works...if you are using only CORS supported browsers you can also use 'json' with crossDomain: true
        success: function (data, textStatus, jqXHR) {
            // here you have result in your data parameter
    });

Not that the site you are trying to query might not support jsonp. If this is the case, then use dataType: 'json' and set crossDomain: true . This feature (cross domain calls with cors standard) however is not supported in IE 9 or older, but is supported in other browsers (including IE10).

If you really need IE9, then you could preform a proxied GET request via a web service which is running on same domain.

Anze Javornik

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 7:24 PM