none
view update metadata in document word

Question

• I'm working on word document with a view of metadata from sharepoint.

including selecting the check box to make the DIP appear on document Open and Save.

Event happens in the background and updates the metada.

How can view the metadata update without saving a document.

Thanks.

Mauro.

Monday, November 15, 2010 12:55 PM

Answers

• I work in word and not in browser.

When I save the document, the properties not updating in word aplication, must reopen document and get a new update of properties

Hi Mauro

I think the process in the "backend" would need to access the open document in Word and update the properties' values in the document, itself with the same values being written to SharePoint, if you want to see that in the opened document.

Probably, it would have to call some kind of app installed locally. Or you could have an Add-in that checks back to the server at regular intervals.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    • Proposed as answer by Bessie Zhao Monday, November 22, 2010 7:53 AM
    • Marked as answer by Bessie Zhao Thursday, November 25, 2010 8:14 AM
    Wednesday, November 17, 2010 4:11 PM

All replies

• Hello Mauro,

Thanks for posting. If you are looking for a programming way to view the metadata, as said in this KB article, I think you could iterate BuiltInDocumentProperties collection. For this property, please see this MSDN page: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb214820(office.12).aspx. These properties will be updated when saving the document. To view these updated data without saving, sorry, as far as I see, there is no a way for this goal. Thanks.

If you have any concern on this post, just feel free to follow up. Have a nice day.

Best regards,
    Bessie Zhao - MSFT
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback of our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 2:50 AM
  • AFAICS if you update either Sharepoint custom properties (e.g. by modifying the value of the property in the custom XML of the document), or update builtin document properties, the change appears in the DIP immediately, if the DIP is showing

So I am wondering what is not happening - are you saying that you want the DIP to show if something that would be shown in the DIP changes, or what? (To do that, I think the Event code that modifies the XML or the property would also have to show the DIP).

Peter Jamieson
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 12:59 PM
  • I did not explain myself correctly.

I work in word and not in browser.

When I save the document, the properties not updating in word aplication, must reopen document and get a new update of properties

Thanks

Mauro.

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 8:36 AM
  • > Event happens in the background and updates the metada.

If the properties are updated in the background /on the server/, sorry, I do not know a way to "refresh" them in your document.

Peter Jamieson
    Wednesday, November 17, 2010 9:27 AM
  • I work in word and not in browser.

Hi Mauro

I think the process in the "backend" would need to access the open document in Word and update the properties' values in the document, itself with the same values being written to SharePoint, if you want to see that in the opened document.

Probably, it would have to call some kind of app installed locally. Or you could have an Add-in that checks back to the server at regular intervals.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    • Proposed as answer by Bessie Zhao Monday, November 22, 2010 7:53 AM
    • Marked as answer by Bessie Zhao Thursday, November 25, 2010 8:14 AM
    Wednesday, November 17, 2010 4:11 PM