none
Word Always Opens as Read-Only

Question

• Word Always Opens as Read-Only

I have one MS Word 2007 file that always opens as read-only.  I did some research on this.  I tried this:  Save As > Tools > General
    The read-Only box is NOT checked.  Nevertheless, I can’t save the file unless I rename it.  Even weirder, if I have NO Word docs open, and hit Ctrl+Shift+Esc, I can see nothing is open.  I simple click this (possessed) Word file to delete it, and instantly, I have an instance of MS Word running.  WHAT??!!!  I didn’t even open the file!!!  I can even copy/paste the contents to a new Word doc. and the problem follows the file. 

Is there some special property that I can check to see that’s causing this annoying behavior.  Or, is there a possibility that the file is corrupt?  Has anyone experienced this before?  Most important, is there a way to reset this so it just behaves like a normal Word file?

Thanks everyone!!

Sunday, January 02, 2011 2:52 AM

Answers

• See the article "I keep getting files that I am working on locked for editing. Word only allows me to open them read-only” at:

http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/LockedFiles.htm

-- Hope this helps.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP,
    dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Posted via the Community Bridge

"ryguy72" wrote in message news:bdee4bb0-7ae3-4158-b07f-33d11e181e69@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

I have one MS Word 2007 file that always opens as read-only.  I did some research on this.  I tried this:  Save As > Tools > General
    The read-Only box is NOT checked.  Nevertheless, I can’t save the file unless I rename it.  Even weirder, if I have NO Word docs open, and hit Ctrl+Shift+Esc, I can see nothing is open.  I simple click this (possessed) Word file to delete it, and instantly, I have an instance of MS Word running.  WHAT??!!!  I didn’t even open the file!!!  I can even copy/paste the contents to a new Word doc. and the problem follows the file.

Is there some special property that I can check to see that’s causing this annoying behavior.  Or, is there a possibility that the file is corrupt? Has anyone experienced this before?  Most important, is there a way to reset this so it just behaves like a normal Word file?

Thanks everyone!!

Doug Robbins - Word MVP dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    • Marked as answer by Bruce Song Thursday, January 13, 2011 2:36 AM
    Sunday, January 02, 2011 5:29 AM

All replies

• See the article "I keep getting files that I am working on locked for editing. Word only allows me to open them read-only” at:

http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/LockedFiles.htm

-- Hope this helps.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP,
    dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Posted via the Community Bridge

"ryguy72" wrote in message news:bdee4bb0-7ae3-4158-b07f-33d11e181e69@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Is there some special property that I can check to see that’s causing this annoying behavior.  Or, is there a possibility that the file is corrupt? Has anyone experienced this before?  Most important, is there a way to reset this so it just behaves like a normal Word file?

Thanks everyone!!

Doug Robbins - Word MVP dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    • Marked as answer by Bruce Song Thursday, January 13, 2011 2:36 AM
    Sunday, January 02, 2011 5:29 AM
  • Please forgive me for this EXTREMELY delayed follow up.  Thanks, but that didn't work for me.  Other Word files seem to be working OK.  Maybe that one file is corrupt.  I'll continue with my work, but start with a brand new Word file tomorrow.

Ryan--

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 3:47 AM