none
Check-in - Check-out times out after 30 seconds

Question

• Hi everyone!

A user called me the other day, she's working on a Word file in SharePoint which is larger than 20 MB. She opens the file in Word (check-out is forced on the library), she makes changes to it, and while trying to check the file back in, she gets an error:

"Cannot perform this operation. The file is no longer checked out or has been deleted."

The process of opening a file and checking it back in takes a while. The error pops up after ~30 seconds. Our SharePoint timeout (on CA, IIS and in web.config files) is much larger than that, and the maximum allowed file size is 200 MB, so this can't be the problem. Also, the check-out, check-in process for the same file straight from the library (through smart menu) works OK, which sort of points at Office as potential culprit.

The funny thing is that the document actually gets saved with all the changes, and it appears checked-in in the library view, it's only the Office that throws the error message.

I tried playing around with the file on several other computers, using Office 2007 and 2010, Windows XP and Windows 7, but the problem keeps coming back. I haven't noticed any recent downgrade in performance of our SharePoint farm when it comes to opening sites and similar, and we had users uploading and checking in files that were much larger than 50 MB before.

We are running a SharePoint 2007 farm, Windows 2003, SQL 2005, with all the latest updates installed.

Any ideas on why this might be happening and how to go around it are highly appreciated!

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 1:04 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Have you checked the ULS logs to observe log entries? If not then do so.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 2:27 AM
  • Hello DailiborP,

Thank you for your question.

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Thanks,
    Wayne Fan
    TechNet Subscriber Support in forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact  tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wayne Fan

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 2:50 AM
  • Hi Rahul,

Thanks for the advice. I already checked the ULS and Event Logs - nothing out of ordinary there.

Regards,

Dalibor

Monday, March 12, 2012 2:30 PM
  • Hello Dalibor,

Can you compare the application web.config to an OOB one and see if there are any changes made to it? If thats not the case then please see if the following blog explains the behavior you are facing. http://blogs.technet.com/b/harikumh/archive/2008/05/28/check-out-feature-of-sharepoint-2007.aspx

Please remember to click 'Mark as Answer' on the post that helps you or click 'Unmark as Answer' if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Regards,
    Nishant Shah
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Monday, March 19, 2012 11:19 AM
  • Hi Nishant,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I checked web.config, and the only difference between the OOB one and mine is in the number of SafeControls (I installed some additional solutions) and the httpRuntime executionTimeout (I configured it to 999999). Everything else is the same.

As for the blog, it does not apply in my case since my library is configured to force the long term check-out every time a user opens a document in edit mode.

I tend to believe that this timeout is related to Office configuration rather than SharePoint itself. If users try to check-in documents through the site, using the drop-down menu from a document, everything works alright. It is only if they try to check-in the files through Office (while closing the document or using the Office built-in Check-in process) that the error pops up.

Regards,

Dalibor

Regards, Dalibor

Thursday, March 22, 2012 7:56 AM
  • Hello Dalibor,

Please see if using SharePoint workspace can serve as a workaround for your user. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee649102.aspx

If not then as you've already figured out its not a user / computer specific problem by playing around with different computers / User logins; I'd suggest you increase the logging to verbose and try to reproduce the issue and see if anything gets logged in the ULS Logs. If you dont see anything useful and if you wish to pursue this further I suggest you go for more in-depth level of support. Please visit the below link to see the various paid support options that are available to better meet your needs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;en-us;offerprophone. If you are a MSDN / TechNet subscriber, you can also contact our support by using your free support incidents.

Please remember to click 'Mark as Answer' on the post that helps you or click 'Unmark as Answer' if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Regards,
    Nishant Shah
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Monday, April 02, 2012 11:32 AM