none
How to convert an excel sheet to an txt file using an excel addin button

Question

• I am trying to creat an excel addin button that will export an excel sheet into a txt file in vb. Have no idea how to get it started.. hoping someone out there can help get me started.

Thanks

Thursday, August 01, 2013 7:56 PM

Answers

• VBA is a subset of VB with in-built support for Office automation.

From a VB project you can simply use all codes but you first need to refer an excel object (

dim XL as object

set XL=CreateObject("Excel.Application")

)

and then use wherever I used Excel object model.

Suppose I used

set WB=Activeworkbook

you use

set WB=XL.Activeworkbook.

Best Regards,
    Asadulla Javed, Kolkata
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please do not forget to click “Vote as Helpful” if any post helps you and "Mark as Answer”if it solves the issue.

Saturday, August 03, 2013 8:50 AM
    Answerer
  • http://sdrv.ms/13Alwux

A file named text.xls.

First download it and then right click any cell.You find a command named "Convert To text" at bottom of menu.This will convert the activesheet to text file.

If you are satisfied then save the file as add-in so that the command available to all excel files..

Best Regards,
    Asadulla Javed, Kolkata
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please do not forget to click “Vote as Helpful” if any post helps you and "Mark as Answer”if it solves the issue.

Friday, August 02, 2013 9:15 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• http://sdrv.ms/13Alwux

A file named text.xls.

First download it and then right click any cell.You find a command named "Convert To text" at bottom of menu.This will convert the activesheet to text file.

If you are satisfied then save the file as add-in so that the command available to all excel files..

Best Regards,
    Asadulla Javed, Kolkata

Friday, August 02, 2013 9:15 AM
    Answerer
  • Thanks hhis was pretty helpful... I tried it and it worked most times the way I wanted it to , but this a project for an online course that I am taking so  I need to code the solution in VB.. I was wondering if you can point me in the right direction of at least how to get started.  

Thanks for your help

Friday, August 02, 2013 3:42 PM
  • VBA is a subset of VB with in-built support for Office automation.

From a VB project you can simply use all codes but you first need to refer an excel object (

dim XL as object

set XL=CreateObject("Excel.Application")

)

and then use wherever I used Excel object model.

Suppose I used

set WB=Activeworkbook

you use

set WB=XL.Activeworkbook.

Best Regards,
    Asadulla Javed, Kolkata

Saturday, August 03, 2013 8:50 AM
    Answerer
  • Thank you very much, you have been very helpful.. I am a beginner in programming in the VB language; I am not sure I understand what you mean with the code above. Let me better explain what I am trying to do..

I need to create a ribbon with a button that when pressed will convert the excel spreadsheet into txt file (much like the text.xls file that you provided does); I already have the ribbon and button design set up in visual studio, my question would be: where does the code that you provided go in Visual Studio?

Again thanks for your help it is greatly appreciated.

Monday, August 05, 2013 3:00 PM
  • Dear Respected Contributors and Moderators,

Pls look into this and do the required help related with Visual Studio.

Thanks.

Best Regards,
    Asadulla Javed, Kolkata

Wednesday, August 07, 2013 9:27 AM
    Answerer