none
Personal.xlsb

General discussion

• Does anyone know of a book/manual that deals solely with Personal.xlsb?

I've been creating/adding Excel Macro's to a few Microsoft Office installs using the following:

• Insert Module
    • Import Module
    • Record Macro

However, once the Personal.xlsb Workbook has been altered, it doesn't act invisibly to Excel.
    Every time I open Excel, I get the following on any of the Office Installs:

• Personal.xlsb instead of Book1 in the title bar
    • "This Workbook is Read Only and is locked from Editing"
    • The Workbook when saved will actually retain saved changes after opening the Excel.exe from scratch
    • Macro's aren't always available, (If other programs open Excel)

Now, i've tried several combinations of re-creating these Macro's, using the Shared Workbook feature, and downloading .xlsb files from the internet and placing them in the XLStartup folder.

For whatever reason, these Excel Programs aren't the same after manipulating Personal.xlsb.

Does anyone have any recommendations on where I can learn a solid foundation completely devoted to this file?

Thursday, February 10, 2011 3:51 AM

All replies

• I don't know of a book or resource that only deals with personal.xl* files.

But my guess is that you have multiple versions of personal.xlsb on your pc and
    you're not opening the one you really want.

If the workbook is visible in excel you can use this in an empty cell:
    =cell("Filename",a1)
    and make a note of the path returned

Is that what you expected?

Now close excel and use windows|search to look for personal.* files.  Do you see
    lots of them?  (Remember to look through hidden folders, too.)

=======
    And that's the way automation works.

If you want to have those macros (or any other addin started), you'll have to
    start it in that other program/script.

Douglas, F wrote:

Does anyone know of a book/manual that deals solely with Personal.xlsb?

I've been creating/adding Excel Macro's to a few Microsoft Office installs using the following:

* Insert Module
    * Import Module
    * Record Macro

However, once the Personal.xlsb Workbook has been altered, it doesn't act invisibly to Excel.
    Every time I open Excel, I get the following on any of the Office Installs:

* Personal.xlsb instead of Book1 in the title bar
    * "This Workbook is Read Only and is locked from Editing"
    * The Workbook when saved will actually retain saved changes after opening the Excel.exe from scratch
    * Macro's aren't always available, (If other programs open Excel)

Now, i've tried several combinations of re-creating these Macro's, using the Shared Workbook feature, and downloading .xlsb files from the internet and placing them in the XLStartup folder.

For whatever reason, these Excel Programs aren't the same after manipulating Personal.xlsb.

Does anyone have any recommendations on where I can learn a solid foundation completely devoted to this file?

--

Dave Peterson

Thursday, February 10, 2011 1:58 PM
  • Dave,

Thanks for the info. But, I'm not having issues with several Personal.xlsb files being installed in my XLStartup folder.

I'm simply having issues with the integrity of my Excel Program after I install Macros. I want my Excel to run as cleanly and smoothly as it did before I added Macros to the Personal.xlsb workbook. All I get every day are weird workbook names, and related error messages.

Friday, February 11, 2011 2:05 PM
  • I don't have any more suggestions.

Douglas, F wrote:

Dave,

Thanks for the info. But, I'm not having issues with several Personal.xlsb files being installed in my XLStartup folder.

I'm simply having issues with the integrity of my Excel Program after I install Macros. I want my Excel to run as cleanly and smoothly as it did*before* I added Macros to the Personal.xlsb workbook. All I get every day are weird workbook names, and related error messages.

--

Dave Peterson

Friday, February 11, 2011 10:24 PM
  • I know this question was posted a long time ago, but I will answer it for anyone else that comes across this same issue.  

To fix this, first close out of Excel. Then open a new document. This will bring you to the Personal.xlsb file. Make all of the cells are blank and look the way you want all new workbooks to look. Now check that on the ribbon, in the "Review" tab, that the sheet is not protected and that the workbook is not protected. This is why you are getting the "This Workbook is Read Only and is locked from Editing" error. 

Now that you have the work book back to normal, click "Save As". Name the document "PERSONAL" with out anything trailing it. In the "Save as type:" dropdown menu, select "Excel Binary Workbook". Click save and close excel. In Windows Explorer, go to "C:\Users\(User Name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART" and get rid of any other files you might have also put there by accident. Open Excel. It should show Book1 as the title. 

Any changes made now will not carry over to a new workbook. 

If later you want to make any changes to the PERSONAL workbook, go to "View" and "Unhide". Select "Personal". From here you should be able to just save changes and close it with out any problems. 

To call any macro made in PERSONAL you just need to reference it.

In PERSONAL.XLSB:

Function MyFunction(s, q, w, e)
        MyFunction = s & q & w & e
    End Function

Then in the new work book in cell A1:

=PERSONAL.XLSB!Module1.MyFunction("Test",1,2,3)

As expected, the function returned:

Test123

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 9:47 PM