none
Workflow, File in Document Set: Not Valid Value of the Field if it's Not Empty

Question

• Document Set, inside I have file. There is the workflow for the list on Edit event.

File has some field "TestField", the field is shared in Document Set.

Workflow made by Designer is very simple: Write CurrentItem: TestField to the journal.

First, TestField is empty. I change the field and put "Hello". In journal I see "Hello".

Then, I go to change this field one more time and put "Bye". In journal I see "Hello".

So, if the field in item is not empty we can't see new value in workflow and we lose it, remains the old version.

Tuesday, July 01, 2014 9:11 PM

Answers

• Hi likett,

I also did a test on SharePoint 2013 Online, and the workflow only contained the "Log to Hsitory List" using SharePoint 2010 platform and SharePoint 2013 platform,  the platform is like:

Can you test using the different platform?

In addition, in the workflow history list, check the Date Occurred column to see if the date is the time that the workflow finished.

As this issue is realted to SharePoint Online, I suggest you create a new thread on Office 365 forum, more experts will assist you with Office 365-SharePoint Online.

Office 365 forum:

http://community.office365.com/en-us/f/default.aspx

Thanks,

Wendy 

Wendy Li
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, July 07, 2014 2:22 AM

All replies

• Hi likett,

What did you mean for “Write CurrentItem: TestField to the journal”? Whether you created a custom workflow activity like ‘Write…to…’.

If not, please provide the detailed actions you used in the workflow.

Whether the journal is a column from the current list or another list.

Please try to use the OOB actions like the screenshot below, compare the result:

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Wendy

Wendy Li

Thursday, July 03, 2014 8:47 AM
  • Hi, Wendy,

It's not custom workflow activity. I am sorry about this confusing. By "Write ... to the journal" (in my language it sounds like that) I mean "Log ... to the workflows history list".

So, if TestField was empty before it changed, I can see correct value that user entered in the form. If the field wasn't empty before, I can't get the value that user typed, I can see only previous value, the value before the user changed the form.

Thanks

Thursday, July 03, 2014 11:26 AM
  • Hi likett,

Which workflow platform did you use?

I did a test using SharePoint 2010 platform and SharePoint 2013 platform. They all worked well.

After you change the field, please wait a second to wait the workflow completed, and refresh the page, then go to the workflow history to check the value.

In addition, if this issue still exists, please create the workflow using SharePoint 2010 platform, test and compare the result.

Thanks,

Wendy

Wendy Li

Friday, July 04, 2014 1:47 AM
  • Wendy,

Thanks for the answer.

I am doing it on Sharepoint Online (2013 version) that is the part of Office365.

I check the Workflow History when Workflow is finished (I see the last stage on the history).

I made new Workflow for the test, the same problem.

likett

Monday, July 07, 2014 12:03 AM
  • Hi likett,

I also did a test on SharePoint 2013 Online, and the workflow only contained the "Log to Hsitory List" using SharePoint 2010 platform and SharePoint 2013 platform,  the platform is like:

Can you test using the different platform?

In addition, in the workflow history list, check the Date Occurred column to see if the date is the time that the workflow finished.

As this issue is realted to SharePoint Online, I suggest you create a new thread on Office 365 forum, more experts will assist you with Office 365-SharePoint Online.

Office 365 forum:

http://community.office365.com/en-us/f/default.aspx

Thanks,

Wendy 

Wendy Li

Monday, July 07, 2014 2:22 AM