none
InfoPath cannot load the view. The view may have been modifed to contain unsupported HTML such as frames.

Question

• Hi,

I'm running InfoPath 2013 Designer and I'm experiencing a very annoying bug. Whenever I try to open a Infopath file I get the error, "InfoPath cannot load the view. The view may have been modifed to contain unsupported HTML such as frames." Sometimes it opens without a problem but most the time I get this error message. The strange thing is that I can create a new form without any frames, save it and then when I go to open it have the same problem. I've tried reinstalling InfoPath but it didn't help.

Please help!!!

Thanks in Advance,

Mark Elliott

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit; Internet Explorer 11; Office 2013 Pro

Monday, April 28, 2014 10:35 PM

Answers

• Hi Elliyeti,

According to your description, my understanding is that the error occurred when opening the form in InfoPath.

This issue may be due to the original form is corrupted, you can also try the steps below of the original form for troubleshooting:

1. Renaming the .XSN to .CAB.
    2. Expanding the .CAB file and hacking either the individual xsl views and/or the manifest.xsf to remove the offending view(s).
    3. Repacking the CAB file and renaming back to .XSN.

Best regards.

Thanks

Victoria Xia
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 1:46 AM
  • I eventually has to take drastic action and I started afresh, reinstalling Windows 7, Office and InfoPath. It now works without a problem. I know this isn't a great solution but I had run out of time to solve the problem by other means.

Learning SharePoint

• Marked as answer by Elliyeti Thursday, June 26, 2014 7:17 AM
    Wednesday, June 04, 2014 10:38 PM

All replies

• Hi Elliyeti,

According to your description, my understanding is that the error occurred when opening the form in InfoPath.

This issue may be due to the original form is corrupted, you can also try the steps below of the original form for troubleshooting:

1. Renaming the .XSN to .CAB.
    2. Expanding the .CAB file and hacking either the individual xsl views and/or the manifest.xsf to remove the offending view(s).
    3. Repacking the CAB file and renaming back to .XSN.

Best regards.

Thanks

Victoria Xia
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 1:46 AM
  • Hello, I just wanted to chime in. We have the same problem in our environment. We have narrowed it down to a Microsoft update, but are not sure which one, since 30 - 40 were pushed at the same time. We are in the process of troubleshooting and will be happy to update this thread when we know more. Thanks!
    Thursday, May 29, 2014 9:51 PM
  • I eventually has to take drastic action and I started afresh, reinstalling Windows 7, Office and InfoPath. It now works without a problem. I know this isn't a great solution but I had run out of time to solve the problem by other means.

Learning SharePoint

• Marked as answer by Elliyeti Thursday, June 26, 2014 7:17 AM
    Wednesday, June 04, 2014 10:38 PM
  • How does unsupported HTML get in the form if you only use infopath tools to create it?

I am having the same problem, however, if I keep trying to open it, I might get that error 7-15 times and then on the 16th try, it will open, (so much for the definition of insanity).

It happens anytime I switch between any of the three views.  Deleting the view means starting the whole form over and I can speak with experience in saying it's going to happen with the new one as well so deleting views isn't an option.
    • Edited by jenwearing Monday, June 09, 2014 8:26 PM
    Monday, June 09, 2014 8:10 PM
  • Hello... were you able to figure out which MS update caused the issue? I'm getting this error when using InfoPath 2013 but not when using 2010. In a new laptop with latest update does not works. Old laptop with 2010 and no latest updates worked perfect.

Thank you!

Tuesday, July 15, 2014 8:20 PM
  • I'm getting the same exact thing. Design a new 2013 form - add a couple of tables and save then try to open it in design mode again. A standard install with no third party tool (we even run security essentials).

Ridiculous.

Thursday, August 07, 2014 4:14 AM
  • I'm getting the same exact thing now too. I'm using InfoPath Designer for SharePoint 2010 forms and both InfoPath Designer 2013 and 2010 are giving the same error message when opening form templates. This is a new Windows 7 build on a new laptop, so the bad Update theory makes sense. My old laptop works just fine, but I'm sure it's a few patches behind. Please let us know if anyone finds the culprit here.
    Wednesday, September 03, 2014 6:48 PM