none
How can I update/replace code in a module using another add-in?

Question

• We have several Micrsoft Word templates that were developed prior to the release of Word 2007/2010. These templates use an Attachment tool to embed several different documents and maps. When opened in compatibility mode they will not open pdf documents. I have found a solution using vba (below). My question, how can I create a button/add-in that will replace the the code with the code below. The name of the procedure in the old version is the same as this new one?

Private Sub GetAttachment()

Dim Doc As String

Dim Doc2 As String

Dim WordDoc As Boolean

On Error GoTo Error_Handler

ActiveDocument.Unprotect ("sampson")

Doc = Application.ActiveWindow.Caption

ActiveDocument.Bookmarks.Add Name:="LeftOff"

Selection.GoTo what:=wdGoToBookmark, Name:=CommandBars.ActionControl.Parameter

Selection.InlineShapes(1).OLEFormat.Activate

WordDoc = False

If Application.ActiveWindow.Caption <> Doc Then

Doc2 = Mid(Application.ActiveWindow.Caption, 1, InStr(Application.ActiveWindow.Caption, " [Compatibility Mode]") - 1)

WindowsIndex = 0

Do While Application.ActiveWindow.Caption <> Doc

WindowsIndex = WindowsIndex + 1

Documents(WindowsIndex).Activate

Loop

WordDoc = True

End If

Selection.GoTo what:=wdGoToBookmark, Name:="LeftOff"

ActiveDocument.Bookmarks("LeftOff").Delete

Error_Handler:

If Err.Number <> 0 Then

MsgBox (Err.Description)

End If

ActiveDocument.Protect Type:=wdAllowOnlyFormFields, NoReset:=True, Password:="sampson"

If WordDoc Then

Documents(Doc2).Activate

End If

End Sub

jim neal

Friday, December 07, 2012 12:56 AM

Answers

• Hi Jim

I hesitate to reply here, as I really haven't the time to go into nitty gritty details...

There is an automation interface for the VBA Editor (VBE) that will allow you to change the content of the code project associated with an Office file.

In order for it to work, it's necessary for you to change the Trust Center setting (we're talking 2007 and later) that allows access to the VBA object model. Installation default is to not allow as this is obviously a security risk.

In the VBA Editor Tools/References you need to set a reference to the "Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications Extensibility 5.3" library. Once you've set that, you can see the various objects, properties, etc. in the VBA Object Browser (F2).

There used to be a Language Reference for it, but I don't find anything on MSDN except for VB6 (which VBA inherits from): http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa443983(VS.60).aspx.

You'll probably find this website very useful: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/vbe.aspx

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

• Marked as answer by JamesLNeal Monday, December 10, 2012 1:17 PM
    Friday, December 07, 2012 1:16 PM

All replies

• Can anyone point me to information that will explain how to create an executable in VB that will replace the word module with an updated module?

Jim

jim neal

Friday, December 07, 2012 1:33 AM
  • Hi Jim

I hesitate to reply here, as I really haven't the time to go into nitty gritty details...

There is an automation interface for the VBA Editor (VBE) that will allow you to change the content of the code project associated with an Office file.

In order for it to work, it's necessary for you to change the Trust Center setting (we're talking 2007 and later) that allows access to the VBA object model. Installation default is to not allow as this is obviously a security risk.

In the VBA Editor Tools/References you need to set a reference to the "Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications Extensibility 5.3" library. Once you've set that, you can see the various objects, properties, etc. in the VBA Object Browser (F2).

There used to be a Language Reference for it, but I don't find anything on MSDN except for VB6 (which VBA inherits from): http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa443983(VS.60).aspx.

You'll probably find this website very useful: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/vbe.aspx

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

• Marked as answer by JamesLNeal Monday, December 10, 2012 1:17 PM
    Friday, December 07, 2012 1:16 PM
  • Thank you Cindy!

jim neal

Monday, December 10, 2012 1:16 PM