none
SharePoint list InfoPath form not showing updated column information

Question

• I am working with a SharePoint site where I am using custom site columns to update multiple lists. When I update the column information in Site Columns the modifications push to the lists and they update as expected, however, their InfoPath forms do not and they still reflect old column information in the available Fields. Typically the form notifies upon opening that the list has been updated, and then updates the available form fields to match. Versioning is set to automatically update the template and to automatically upgrade existing forms. Does anyone have any ideas as to why the form would not pull the updated list columns? Thanks for any guidance!
    Monday, August 18, 2014 3:58 PM

Answers

• Hi,

List\library column in InfoPath is stored differently from site column. InfoPath stores the list of Fields that are published to SharePoint document libraries in a local manifest along with the columns which these fields are associated to. This is accomplished by referencing the column ID in SharePoint (a unique GUID value) with the InfoPath Field. While the site column ID will not change.

You could refer the link below for the scenario related to this difference:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2554288/en-us

Regards,

Rebecca Tu
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, August 19, 2014 9:26 AM
  • I'm operating in SharePoint 2010, and the InfoPath forms were originally created by implementing customized forms directly from SharePoint.  Reading the prior posts, and gathering that there was a possibility that InfoPath interprets/treats Site Columns differently than list columns, I had a hunch and created a dummy single line of text column on the list in question.  I then opened the form and voila, now it recognizes not only the dummy column, but it also pulled all of the other modified Site Columns from the SharePoint site.  Any ideas why it would exhibit this behavior?  This certainly isn't a solution, but it was a workaround that worked for me.
    Thursday, September 04, 2014 3:02 PM

All replies

• Hi,

List\library column in InfoPath is stored differently from site column. InfoPath stores the list of Fields that are published to SharePoint document libraries in a local manifest along with the columns which these fields are associated to. This is accomplished by referencing the column ID in SharePoint (a unique GUID value) with the InfoPath Field. While the site column ID will not change.

You could refer the link below for the scenario related to this difference:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2554288/en-us

Regards,

Rebecca Tu

Tuesday, August 19, 2014 9:26 AM
  • I read through that and I'm not fully understanding its application to my situation.  I understand how InfoPath recreates columns, but in my case the columns are created/updated on the list first (through updates in Site Columns), and then InfoPath is opened.  InfoPath should recognize the updates to the columns, but it isn't.  It doesn't "know" that the columns have changed.  What am I missing?
    Thursday, August 21, 2014 4:17 PM
  • Hi,

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Forum Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com .

Rebecca Tu

Friday, August 29, 2014 1:03 AM
  • Hi,

According to your description, can you share more steps of creating your infopath form,or add some screenshots about your infopath form? you created your infopathform by sharepoint designer,right? Here is an article about this, it may help you.

http://www.appvity.com/blogs/post/2013/06/16/How-to-configure-and-publish-InfoPath-to-SharePoint-2013.aspx

Paul Shui
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer?on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer?if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread

• Edited by Paul - MSFT Monday, September 01, 2014 10:58 AM
    Monday, September 01, 2014 10:55 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going on?

Paul Shui

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer?on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer?if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread

Wednesday, September 03, 2014 6:15 AM
  • I'm operating in SharePoint 2010, and the InfoPath forms were originally created by implementing customized forms directly from SharePoint.  Reading the prior posts, and gathering that there was a possibility that InfoPath interprets/treats Site Columns differently than list columns, I had a hunch and created a dummy single line of text column on the list in question.  I then opened the form and voila, now it recognizes not only the dummy column, but it also pulled all of the other modified Site Columns from the SharePoint site.  Any ideas why it would exhibit this behavior?  This certainly isn't a solution, but it was a workaround that worked for me.
    Thursday, September 04, 2014 3:02 PM
  • Hi,RevWorker

It is so good that you find the workaround to fix the issue, and if you want to find the solution about this case, I suggest that you can open a case to microsoft, thank you!

Paul Shui

Wednesday, September 10, 2014 7:27 AM