none
Sharepoint Designer multiple instances open blank/empty ribbon

Question

• I repeatedly get this problem in SharePoint Designer 2013: If I open a second instance of SP designer to work on another site, the SP Designer in the new instance has a completely blank/empty ribbon area. The only way I can get the ribbon to appear in that instance of SP designer is to open a master page or page layout. So if I'm in a sub site that doesn't have master pages or page layouts I can't edit any workflows because the ribbon is empty. I have to close all instances of SP Designer and then open that sub site again.

Am I the only person experiencing this major bug?

Thursday, August 07, 2014 3:01 AM

Answers

• Hi Vertigrator,

Did you test this in another computer?

I recommend to change a PC to test and see how it works.

You can also re-install SharePoint Designer and then compare the results.

Best regards.

Thanks

Victoria Xia
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Vertigrator Wednesday, August 13, 2014 12:06 AM
    Tuesday, August 12, 2014 8:28 AM

All replies

• Hi Vertigrator,

I tested the same scenario in my environment, however SharePoint Designer worked fine when opening multiple instances.

I recommend to clear the cache for SharePoint Designer to see if the issue still occurs:

http://www.c-sharpcorner.com/UploadFile/sagarp/how-to-clear-your-sharepoint-designer-20102013-cache/

Best regards.

Thanks

Victoria Xia

Monday, August 11, 2014 6:00 AM
  • I had done that a number of times. This time I have done a very thorough test and discovered the following after multiple attempts doing the same procedure.

This is when it works: Opening a new instance of the SharePoint Designer client and then either typing the url for the site or clicking on one of the sites in the recent sites list.

This is the first situation when it fails and has a blank/empty ribbon: From an existing instance of SharePoint Designer with a site open then going to the File tab, then selecting Sites, then selecting a site in the recent sites list. It opens the site in a new instance but with the blanked ribbon.

This is the second situation when it fails and has a blank/empty ribbon: From an existing instance of SharePoint Designer with a site open, going to the subsites and selecting one of the subsites. The subsite opens in a new instance of SharePoint Designer but with a blanked out ribbon.

Monday, August 11, 2014 6:19 AM
  • Hi Vertigrator,

Did you test this in another computer?

I recommend to change a PC to test and see how it works.

You can also re-install SharePoint Designer and then compare the results.

Best regards.

Thanks

Victoria Xia

• Marked as answer by Vertigrator Wednesday, August 13, 2014 12:06 AM
    Tuesday, August 12, 2014 8:28 AM
  • I found that upgrading to the latest service pack for SharePoint designer fixed the issue. :-)

Thanks

Craig

Wednesday, August 13, 2014 12:07 AM