none
Access 2010: Autonumber field on Web Table

Question

• I've imported some excel sheets into new tables. These sheets were from another existing Access database, and already contained an ID field, which I selected as the primary key when importing. I want this field to be an autonumber, but I can't change the type. For that matter, I can't even seem to add a new Autonumber field to this table. How do I do this?

I need these tables to have an autonumber. I looked at using the standard work around, using DMax, but aggregate functions aren't allowed with web tables.

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 9:45 PM

Answers

• I resolved the issue by rebuilding the tables. I created new tables, with autonumber fields, then added new fields manually to match the existing tables I had imported. From there, I just copied and pasted the data over.

I had to import through Excel because we had lost connection to the Sharepoint server, so the tables would not export into the new Access database.

Friday, June 29, 2012 6:50 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

I'll involve some experts who are familiar with your issue, this may take some time. Much appreciate for your patient and understanding.

Best Regards,

Leo_Gao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Friday, June 29, 2012 9:35 AM
  • Hi w85,

If you import the tables directly from the Access client database instead of going through Excel, the autonumber should be retained.  If you no longer have the client database, the structure of the table will have to be recreated and then the data imported. 

I hope this helps!

Sharon M, Microsoft Online Community Support

Friday, June 29, 2012 6:36 PM
  • I resolved the issue by rebuilding the tables. I created new tables, with autonumber fields, then added new fields manually to match the existing tables I had imported. From there, I just copied and pasted the data over.

I had to import through Excel because we had lost connection to the Sharepoint server, so the tables would not export into the new Access database.

Friday, June 29, 2012 6:50 PM
  • I realize this thread is old, but I am stumped. While you maybe able to import a Table from an Access Client Database and the Autonumber Field be retained, and you can create a Table from scratch, and Access will automatically add an Autonumber Field, but...

How does one add an Autonumber Filed on a Table that has already been created?

This has been a most frustrating experience, and I am a well seasoned Access Developer from day 1! I knew unwittingly that I did not like Web-databases.

Thursday, February 13, 2014 12:25 AM