none
Use BEFORE UPDATE & VBA to copy current field value into another field

Question

• For Access 2010:  I know how to use AFTER UPDATE to capture Modified By & Date Modified.

However, I would like to use BEFORE UPDATE to capture the current value of a specific field, [CURRENT DATA SOURCE], and to set or copy this value into another field, let's call it SourceCurVal

I would like to -avoid- creating a separate audit table.

Thanks!

=====

A. Wolf

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 7:28 PM

All replies

• me.controlName.oldValue

For the benefit of others, please mark posts as answered or helpful when they answer or assist you in finding the answer. ___ "We came all this way to explore the Moon, and the most important thing is that we discovered the Earth." - Bill Anders, Apollo 8.

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 8:36 PM
  • Thanks.  What is the whole code line?

Ex:  me.FieldName.Value = me.NewDummyField.Value

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Is this correct?

Thanks!

A. Wolf

Thursday, June 21, 2012 8:16 PM
  • You can continue to use the procedure handling the After update event (of the control, not of the form) to get the original value that the field was holding.

Me.FieldNameForPreviousValue.Value = Me.FieldNameChanged.OldValue

The fields have OldValue and Value properties. the difference is that OldValue holds the last commited value into the database. After a successfull record save, that OldValue becomes the actual value. UNDOing the field push the OldValue back into the Value. Since Value is the default property for a control, you can use:

Me.FieldNameForPreviousValue.Value = Me.FieldNameChanged.OldValue

as well as

Me.FieldNameForPreviousValue = Me.FieldNameChanged.OldValue

Thursday, June 21, 2012 8:25 PM
  • Vanderghast:

I am using Access 2010, and there is no '.OldValue' -- Access rejects this.

Could you repeat the above code so that it reflects usable VBA code?

Thanks!

====

A. Wolf

Friday, June 22, 2012 1:26 AM
  • Vanderghast:

I am using Access 2010, and there is no '.OldValue' -- Access rejects this.

Could you repeat the above code so that it reflects usable VBA code?

Thanks!

====

A. Wolf

2010 does.  I just did it  here is an example

Private Sub Command2_Click()
        Me.prevVal = Me.Field1.OldValue
    End Sub

For the benefit of others, please mark posts as answered or helpful when they answer or assist you in finding the answer. ___ "We came all this way to explore the Moon, and the most important thing is that we discovered the Earth." - Bill Anders, Apollo 8.

Friday, June 22, 2012 1:34 AM
  • I am using Access 2010, and there is no '.OldValue' -- Access rejects this.

why not post your code so we can take a look.  What does Access do?  What type of controsl are you using it on?  Are the controls bound or unbound?

Friday, June 22, 2012 1:56 AM
  • Indeed, it does in 2010, but be sure that you use a bound form.

Friday, June 22, 2012 1:56 PM
  • Sure: 

I am using a bound form in Access 2010.  Here is my code for After Update on the field whose value will change [CURRENT DATA SOURCE]:

Private Sub DATA_SOURCE_AfterUpdate(Cancel As Integer)

'Me.FieldNameForPreviousValue.Value = Me.FieldNameChanged.OldValue -- code from above'

Me.[Current Data Source Old Value].Value = Me.[CURRENT DATA SOURCE].OldValue

End Sub

Here's the error:

Compile error:  Method or data member not found

Method highlighted = .OldValue

Thanks!

====

A. Wolf

• Edited by amywolfie Friday, June 22, 2012 5:17 PM
    Friday, June 22, 2012 5:16 PM
  • is [current data source] a bound text box?

is the spelling correct?

Friday, June 22, 2012 5:33 PM
  • Yes, it is.  Thanks.

A. Wolf

Friday, June 22, 2012 6:27 PM
  • CAN ANYONE OUT THERE HELP?

Thanks.

====

A. Wolf

Monday, June 25, 2012 4:20 PM
  • This question thread as been marked as answered and .OldValue is the answer, but if it's still not working for you, you can unmark the question as answered or start a new thread, because this thread is unlikely to be seen by anyone new as it is already marked as resolved.  I don't know why you are getting a compile error on .OldValue maybe Vanderghast has a suggestion, but more people will see your post if it is not marked as answered.  You can try a decompile, compact/repair, and then compile to see if that resolves the issue.

• Edited by -suzyQ Monday, June 25, 2012 4:53 PM
    Monday, June 25, 2012 4:52 PM