none
ms access column history

Question

• i am using column history to record history of notes in database, i works when i type or make any changes manually, however if i update the data by update query, then it donot get recorded in column history.

Please advise how to correct ar let me know alternate of columnhistory.

Saturday, February 16, 2013 6:30 PM

All replies

• Hi harrysmind,

>> however if i update the data by update query, then it do not get recorded in column history.

Would you please share more details about this? I can't reproduce this behavior on my computer. I created a table with a field whose type is Hyperlink. 

After run an update query like below, both the previous value and the latest value have been recorded in the column history.

Have a nice day.

Yoyo Jiang[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 7:43 AM
  • Thank you Yoyo,

i will rephrase my question again.

so, i am using column history to record changes in a column.

so when i make any changes in manually by typing, it get recorded and show's the history.

however i also have a Form so i want to update muliple records which will be typed in the form, so i am using update query where update to [Forms]![Form1]![Text1]

so i get the following error. The Microsoft office engine does not recognise 'Forms]![Form1]![Text 1' as valid field or expression.

pleae advise, 

• Edited by harrysmind Friday, February 22, 2013 10:34 AM
    Friday, February 22, 2013 10:32 AM
  • i am using column history to record changes in a column.

so when i make any changes in manually by typing, it get recorded and show's the history.

however i also have a Form so i want to update muliple records which will be typed in the form, so i am using update query where update to [Forms]![Form1]![Text1]

so i get the following error. The Microsoft office engine does not recognise 'Forms]![Form1]![Text 1' as valid field or expression.

pleae advise, 

Saturday, February 23, 2013 6:54 PM
  • What's the actual SQL of your update query?

Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
    http://www.AccessMVP.com/djsteele (no e-mails, please!)
    Co-author Access Solutions — Tips, Tricks, and Secrets from Microsoft Access MVPs (ISBN 978-0-470-59168-0)

Saturday, February 23, 2013 7:58 PM
  • Hi harrysmind,

Have you got any update for this issue?

Good day.

Yoyo Jiang[MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, February 28, 2013 4:37 AM
  • Sorry for the late response. I have gone on a vocation recently.

>> The Microsoft office engine does not recognise 'Forms]![Form1]![Text 1' as valid field or expression.

For the problem, would you please show us the query? It seems there exists typo in the update query.

Good day.

Yoyo Jiang[MSFT]

Thursday, February 28, 2013 7:42 AM
  • The SQL for update query is is 

UPDATE dump SET dump.Comments = [Forms]![UPDATE F]![comments];

Please advise...

Sunday, March 10, 2013 5:04 AM
  • The SQL for update query is is 

UPDATE dump SET dump.Comments = [Forms]![UPDATE F]![comments];

Please advise...

Sunday, March 10, 2013 5:07 AM
  • By any chance is the comments control on a subform on a form? The syntax for referring to controls on subforms is different. See Refer to Form and Subform properties and controls at "The Access Web" for details.

Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
    http://www.AccessMVP.com/djsteele (no e-mails, please!)
    Co-author Access Solutions — Tips, Tricks, and Secrets from Microsoft Access MVPs (ISBN 978-0-470-59168-0)

Sunday, March 10, 2013 12:26 PM
  • Hi harrysmind,

You may check this thread to see if it helps:

The same parameters to be used in three separate queries

It provides information about how to create parameters for query.

Good day.

Yoyo Jiang[MSFT]

Monday, March 11, 2013 3:59 AM