none
Cannot create Web Applications

Question

• I am trying to create a new Web Application through Central Admin Site-> Create or Extend Web Application.  After completing the requistie details on the page, an error is reported and the creation of the web application fails.  Checking the Event Logs of the SharePoint sevrer hosting the Central Admin Site, I see that 3 errors are logged associated with the web application creation attempt.

The first error logged is "Database 'SharePoint_Config' on SQL Server instance 'abc'' is not empty and does not match current database schema."

The second error logged is "Database 'SharePoint_AdminContent' on SQL Server instance 'abc' is not empty and does not match current database schema.

The third error logged is "Unknown SQL Exception 262 occured. Additional error information from SQL Server is included below.CREATE DATABASE permission denied in database 'master'."

The account for the new Web Application does have dbcreator role, and does have dbowner privileges to thr SharePoint_Config database.

The farm was recently updated to MOSS 2007 SP2, and existing sites have been running fine.

In browsing the web, I found suggestions to run the "PSCONFIG -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -force -wait" command.  This has not altered the situation.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks

Friday, November 13, 2009 6:28 AM

Answers

• Hi,

After research, I think the issue may be caused by that SharePoint Administrator User permissions were set up in a wrong way. Please try to the following steps to resolve the issue:

1.     In SQL Server Management Studio, set the farm setup account (SP_Admin) as securityadmin, and change default schema of WSS_Content and and SharePoint_AdminContent to [dbo].

2.     In Computer Management, set the user SP_Admin as local administrator and make him part of the domain (as domain user) and make sure he is part of the appropriate groups.

3.     In Services, change user from local to domain user under which Windows SharePoint Services Timer service runs (SP_Admin).

Hope it helps.

Xue-Mei Chang

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Xue-Mei Chang
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 6:37 AM

All replies

• Hi Noodles,

As per my knowledge i conclude from your above information that database is not empty .just login in to your SQL server and delete the database which you specified in the above information(ex:sharepoint_config).bcz per on sucessful creation of sharepoint site we need an empty database. it will fix your first 2 errors.

comin to third error just check in the database weather the current user has required permission or not.

try like this and let me know the status
    Friday, November 13, 2009 6:55 AM
  • Hello,

according to me the account which you using to create new web application might not be having enough persmissions on the server
    make sure that account has db owner or admin rights on server 
    Warm Regards, Bhushan
    Saturday, November 14, 2009 11:09 PM
  • Just an update,

The domain account being used did have db_owner rights to the SharePoint_Config & SharePoint_AdminContent databases.  The SharePoint_AdminContent database is the content db for the Central Admin Site.  This domain account did not have the dbcreator role though.  I changed this, and now the Web Application can be successfully created.

Interestingly, the same messages appear for the SharePoint_Config & SharePoint_AdminContent databases even though the web application creation succeeded.  There are also similar accompanying messages stating the same problem with the new content database for the new web application.  So now there are 4 error messages appearing in the server event log.  The original 3rd error message regarding "Cannot create database etc.  is obviously now not appearing with successful creation of the new content db.
    Monday, November 16, 2009 6:13 AM
  • Hi,

After research, I think the issue may be caused by that SharePoint Administrator User permissions were set up in a wrong way. Please try to the following steps to resolve the issue:

1.     In SQL Server Management Studio, set the farm setup account (SP_Admin) as securityadmin, and change default schema of WSS_Content and and SharePoint_AdminContent to [dbo].

2.     In Computer Management, set the user SP_Admin as local administrator and make him part of the domain (as domain user) and make sure he is part of the appropriate groups.

3.     In Services, change user from local to domain user under which Windows SharePoint Services Timer service runs (SP_Admin).

Hope it helps.

Xue-Mei Chang

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Xue-Mei Chang
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 6:37 AM