none
Run-time error '3043": ...network access was interrupted...

Question

• For a number of months we've been struggling with a strange problem.  First it must be known that everything used to run fine with using the Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 5.1 SP3's Scheduler to start Microsoft Access 2003 automated applications, at night, that linked to AS400 tables.  Then at the same time the AS400 was upgraded to Aurora (a newer version), and Microsoft Access was upgraded to 2007.  So for months we've been eliminating possible scenarios as to why, on random nights, we get the error message: "Your network was interrupted. To continue, close the database, and then open it again."  This error message wouldn't be so bad during the day, because we can then close the database application and rerun it.  But there are about 20 applications that go off during the night when the company is closed.  We've gotten it to the point that if one application fails, the next will start - but even that isn't so good because sometimes another application will have the same problem.

Apparently the Microsoft Access 2007 application loses contact with the attached tables - not every night, and sometimes not for a week or so, leaving the error messages on the screen.  A new network card was installed, the ODBC drivers were reinstalled, the Aurora backups were done prior to running the scheduled Access 2007 applications.  The DSNs were recreated. The refresh rate for the queries is set to zero.

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem, and if there are options in Microsoft Access 2007 that can be set so that the application doesn't lose its connection to its attached tables.

Thanks,

m-el-el

Tuesday, August 02, 2011 1:54 PM

Answers

• I do something similar and I had a problem similar to yours a couple months ago.  I would say it's not an Access problem.  Definitely sounds like a connectivity issue.  Can you check your Ethernet cable?  Check the Ethernet port.  Try a different port.  Try a different cable.  I think you'll find your problem there.

• Marked as answer by Bruce Song Friday, August 12, 2011 9:41 AM
    Tuesday, August 02, 2011 10:01 PM
  • Two things are likely at the moment hardware and software.
    1. Hardware issue like network card incompatibility or network configuration problems.
    2. Network configuration in Client or Server setting like ...do you have netbios?
    3. Energy saving configuration in network card or in server setting. Like harddisk shutdown....network card can save energy by shutting down.

When you link tables in Access, the link is permanent. Another possiblity is Access need to be repair. Go to control panel - uninstall programs - go to MS Office/Access  - do a repair to see if it works.

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 12:53 AM

All replies

• I do something similar and I had a problem similar to yours a couple months ago.  I would say it's not an Access problem.  Definitely sounds like a connectivity issue.  Can you check your Ethernet cable?  Check the Ethernet port.  Try a different port.  Try a different cable.  I think you'll find your problem there.

Tuesday, August 02, 2011 10:01 PM
  • Two things are likely at the moment hardware and software.
    1. Hardware issue like network card incompatibility or network configuration problems.
    2. Network configuration in Client or Server setting like ...do you have netbios?
    3. Energy saving configuration in network card or in server setting. Like harddisk shutdown....network card can save energy by shutting down.

When you link tables in Access, the link is permanent. Another possiblity is Access need to be repair. Go to control panel - uninstall programs - go to MS Office/Access  - do a repair to see if it works.

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 12:53 AM
  • Thanks!

We started using a new server 2 1/2 months ago, and haven't had the problem since :)

Wednesday, November 09, 2011 2:49 PM
  • Good to hear. Thanks for the feedback.
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 2:36 AM